Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The consequences of buying fish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Just finished watching it. Have to say it is one of the best documentaries I've watched in a while. Serious eye opener. In actaully considering cutting out fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Genuinely thought it was a piss take thread.

I am absolutely in awe of you chief if, while the world is metaphorically burning, your issue is fishing.

I'd love that to be one of my concerns at the moment.

Ignorance is bliss....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Just finished watching it. Have to say it is one of the best documentaries I've watched in a while. Serious eye opener. In actaully considering cutting out fish.

Yeah same it's crazy that the organisation responsible for sticking "MSC" on the cans to show that it is "sustainable" was partly created by Unilever if that isn't a massive conflict of interest then I don't know what is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So if you give up meat for the sake of the environment you can't eat fish either.

And you can't eat vegetables because crop farming upsets the natural biodiversity whatsit.

That leaves cake, so cake it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

• Advertisement

Wondering how many people making jokes on here have actually watched it? If life in our oceans depletes we're ****ed. 85% of the world's oxegen comes from the oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭zell12

killing wild land animals is not ok
    killing wild ocean fish is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Oysters are yummy

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Have a read of this. We could stop the likes of this and have healthier seas in Ireland. Regardless of what they're doing in other countries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/destruction-of-marine-biodiversity-on-beara-peninsula-1.3940704

So him and his UK friends want people stopped making a living catching fish so they can catch fish for pleasure!!!!

So him and his UK friends want people stopped making a living catching fish so they can catch fish for pleasure!!!!

Jesus Christ if that’s your takeaway from that I despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I like eating cod personally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Netflix documentaries I take with a grain of sea salt.
    However I agree assertion that our oceans are being ravaged by massive over-fishing by big business. Those factory ships are grotesque.
    Also there no doubt that these type practices have a negative effect on the livelihoods of small local fishermen.

Low cost food is built into the model of the EU. We subsidise the production and delivery of it. If you want to see what food would actually cost if we weren't into mass production, optimised supply chains, and downward pressure on producers then visit your local farmers market, artisan deli, or even the posh food in Dunnes. A chicken should never cost 2.99, 500g of prawns should never cost the same, and you really shouldn't be eating smoked salmon that's farmed in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

fullstop wrote: »
    Jesus Christ if that’s your takeaway from that I despair.

It's a mishmash of an article, he says they saw a monofilament net so he wants bigger boats banned, I doubt if he saw a monofilament net inshore it has anything to do with an over fifty foot boat, he probably knows that but strategically left it out to push an agenda.

It's a mishmash of an article, he says they saw a monofilament net so he wants bigger boats banned, I doubt if he saw a monofilament net inshore it has anything to do with an over fifty foot boat, he probably knows that but strategically left it out to push an agenda.

The agenda of highlighting that the oceans are being cleaned out? Yeah, awful agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Low cost food is built into the model of the EU. We subsidise the production and delivery of it. If you want to see what food would actually cost if we weren't into mass production, optimised supply chains, and downward pressure on producers then visit your local farmers market, artisan deli, or even the posh food in Dunnes. A chicken should never cost 2.99, 500g of prawns should never cost the same, and you really shouldn't be eating smoked salmon that's farmed in Scotland.

I dont eat those things for the sake of my own health, let alone the environmental damage and the animal ethics it violates, I would absolutely devour a bullock or a lamb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Watched seaspiracy yesterday and coming from a fishing background nothing much about the way the sustainable fishing or dolphin friendly labels were being misused surprised me. Also watching the show I could see alot of resemblance to what is happening in my own area. Truth is that there will be nothing done until it's to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We have 10 years to stop global warming

The next 2 weeks are crucial

The end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I imagine that at some point eating fish will become uncommon because of increasing exposure to dangerous substances and possibly financial cost. Mercury and plastic contaminate fish we eat. If we deplete fish stocks then they will be scarcer and therefore cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched ‘Seaspiracy’ on Netflix? Its a very interesting documentary about the oceans and specifically about fish and the damage the commercial fishing industry is doing

I gave up after 25 minutes. It reminded me of the trashy reality tv shows you get on Discovery channel nowadays (Deadliest Catch / Gold rush etc). Peaking around corners and sneaking out of hotels, constant danger... Staged rubbish.

The shock TV angle really took away from what could have been a very informative documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

An interesting debate I had centred on the following; why should countries not share everything?

One the one side, you had the argument that it's unfair that X country is mostly desert, while Y country is lush and has everything. Therefore, they should be happy to share everything, even if it's really unbalanced.

The winning argument, by a country mile, was that each country should make do with what they have. It seems unfair at first, and there must be certain exceptions, but it is the very cornerstone of sustainability.

In terms of fish, the likes of Thailand and China wouldn't be setting up those ridiculous disease incubators of multi farms, where animals in kept in cages over fish farms, shyt down into the water where the fish eat it. Lovely, but a lot of that is based on export.

You know what, this is too long to explain. Short version: fish don't have fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Gradius wrote: »
    An interesting debate I had centred on the following; why should countries not share everything?

One the one side, you had the argument that it's unfair that X country is mostly desert, while Y country is lush and has everything. Therefore, they should be happy to share everything, even if it's really unbalanced.

The winning argument, by a country mile, was that each country should make do with what they have. It seems unfair at first, and there must be certain exceptions, but it is the very cornerstone of sustainability.

In terms of fish, the likes of Thailand and China wouldn't be setting up those ridiculous disease incubators of multi farms, where animals in kept in cages over fish farms, shyt down into the water where the fish eat it. Lovely, but a lot of that is based on export.

You know what, this is too long to explain. Short version: fish don't have fingers.

We're not to environmentally sound either with salmon farms off our own coast . Not only is it detrimental to our wild salmon stocks returned to spawn , which end up covered in lice from the farmed fish . They take thousands of tonnes of wild fish and turn them into pellets to feed the farmed fish. Resulting in less fish for wild fish to feed on . Farmed salmon are fed antibiotics and colourings to make their flesh look like wild salmon , and yet they try and pass salmon off as some healthy wonder food . I wouldn't eat it if you paid me . They need to ban trawling for fish for 4 years and let fish stocks return . Then ban supertrawlers , make the quotas smaller and fish slightly more expensive . When you see 5 cormorants on your local canal everyday during winter you know something's seriously wrong at sea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched ‘Seaspiracy’ on Netflix? Its a very interesting documentary about the oceans and specifically about fish and the damage the commercial fishing industry is doing

Do you get your information on topics from Netflix documentarys?

The cartoon channel would be a better bet.

Bambi wrote: »
    Do you get your information on topics from Netflix documentarys?

The cartoon channel would be a better bet.
    The facts don't lie. Over fishing is going to destroy our oceans but I'm guessing you don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We're not to environmentally sound either with salmon farms off our own coast . Not only is it detrimental to our wild salmon stocks returned to spawn , which end up covered in lice from the farmed fish . They take thousands of tonnes of wild fish and turn them into pellets to feed the farmed fish. Resulting in less fish for wild fish to feed on . Farmed salmon are fed antibiotics and colourings to make their flesh look like wild salmon , and yet they try and pass salmon off as some healthy wonder food . I wouldn't eat it if you paid me . They need to ban trawling for fish for 4 years and let fish stocks return . Then ban supertrawlers , make the quotas smaller and fish slightly more expensive . When you see 5 cormorants on your local canal everyday during winter you know something's seriously wrong at sea

Totally agree about the salmon farming but not a hope in hell of trawling being banned for even 1 week. Quotas are a farce and are not even a guide of how much fish is taken.
    I would say 4 times as much fish are dumped at sea as is recorded. I myself think the only way to have any chance of stocks replenishing is special closed areas where fish can spawn and habitat remains untouched. This might even be to late. But another big thing is the areas that need protecting are the spawning grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

If the sea borders of Ireland were kept to Ireland, no problems in sustainability.

It's the idea that some dude in a volcano in honduras has a "right" to a Dublin prawn.

The idea of equality in a finite world is very much flawed. It has been paired with globalism, basically, like a sheep in wolf's clothing. Destructive.

If there are 1 billion people in a country that can only sustain 200 million people, you know what needs to happen.

There shouldn't be an automatic expectation that an Indonesian can go frollicking with the goats of Connemara just because it's there.

Just so, I can't go scuba-diving in carribbean blue waters kicking the mickey off clownfish anytime I feel like it, and that's life.

A severe reeling in of ordinary expectations is the only way forward. Its not all negatives and losses to achieve it, plenty of improvements go hand in hand too.

Totally agree about the salmon farming but not a hope in hell of trawling being banned for even 1 week. Quotas are a farce and are not even a guide of how much fish is taken.
    I would say 4 times as much fish are dumped at sea as is recorded. I myself think the only way to have any chance of stocks replenishing is special closed areas where fish can spawn and habitat remains untouched. This might even be to late. But another big thing is the areas that need protecting are the spawning grounds.

It needs to be done though . You've the chinese Hoovering everything up now aswell even in protected waters , we've hundreds of boats raping our own waters. It's nothing but pure greed. Fish stocks can replenish quick enough if they're left alone for a few years. You'd think with all the technology they have on boats they'd be able to bring a fish rod or an underwater camera and see what type of fish it before they net them out if the water only to dump them cos theyre worthless. Sure 2 million tonnes of fish every year goes towards the cat food industry . It's a joke. Then you've cod liver oil , krill oil, fish pellets to feed farmed fish, everything marine life needs to survive were hoovering it up quicker than they reproduce

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/cats-eating-into-world-fish-stocks-20080825-425x.html

My uncle told me that in the 50s , the sea would be black with mackerel , shoal 2 miles long. It kept everyone going in the local community when money was scare. I went up to the sea 2 years ago and caught 2 mackerel over 3 days . Imagine if mackerel went extinct , it's not that far fetched when you see what's going on.

Gradius wrote: »
    If the sea borders of Ireland were kept to Ireland, no problems in sustainability.

It's the idea that some dude in a volcano in honduras has a "right" to a Dublin prawn.

The idea of equality in a finite world is very much flawed. It has been paired with globalism, basically, like a sheep in wolf's clothing. Destructive.

If there are 1 billion people in a country that can only sustain 200 million people, you know what needs to happen.

There shouldn't be an automatic expectation that an Indonesian can go frollicking with the goats of Connemara just because it's there.

Just so, I can't go scuba-diving in carribbean blue waters kicking the mickey off clownfish anytime I feel like it, and that's life.

A severe reeling in of ordinary expectations is the only way forward. Its not all negatives and losses to achieve it, plenty of improvements go hand in hand too.

As we're part of the EU so they're allowed to fish our waters. Sure they caught a spanish trawler with a tonne of shark fins a few years ago . I dread to think of all the ones they don't catch .

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/naval-service-detains-vessel-with-tonne-of-shark-fins-on-board-1.3617293

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The facts don't lie. Over fishing is going to destroy our oceans but I'm guessing you don't care.

absolutely, which is why we need to ban super trawlers from Irish waters and restore exclusive fishing rights for countries in the EU , countries should stick to their own waters to support the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wondering how many people making jokes on here have actually watched it? If life in our oceans depletes we're ****ed. 85% of the world's oxegen comes from the oceans.

Ffs there's enough depressing shyte going on without adding to it.

Advertisement