Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point do you get a builder or surveyor to look at a property?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I’ve made an offer on a house. It has not yet been accepted by the sellers- this all happened only in the last day or two- but the EA is very keen that I get a builder out to look at the house ASAP, “given the work the house needs”.

The house is dated and needs a couple of things done like new windows and possibly rewiring, but why does she keep saying “builder”? How much inspection of a house do EAs do themselves before it goes on the market?

I don’t actually know any builders that I can ask to just look at it informally for me for 20 minutes, so I’ve said to her, if my offer is accepted then at that point wouldn’t we commence the proper inspections.

What’s the norm for inspections and when they happen, when buying a property that needs a bit of work? It’s not like it’s a complete shell, there are people living in it at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shelga wrote: »
    I’ve made an offer on a house. It has not yet been accepted by the sellers- this all happened only in the last day or two- but the EA is very keen that I get a builder out to look at the house ASAP, “given the work the house needs”.

The house is dated and needs a couple of things done like new windows and possibly rewiring, but why does she keep saying “builder”? How much inspection of a house do EAs do themselves before it goes on the market?

I don’t actually know any builders that I can ask to just look at it informally for me for 20 minutes, so I’ve said to her, if my offer is accepted then at that point wouldn’t we commence the proper inspections.

What’s the norm for inspections and when they happen, when buying a property that needs a bit of work? It’s not like it’s a complete shell, there are people living in it at the moment.

Reading between the lines it sounds like she is letting you know that from her experience all is not as it seems with the house.

Could be any number of things, maybe the house is in an area that has had problems with subsidence or there might be other issues that are not visible to the untrained eye.

I wouldn't pay for an expert to look at it unless the offer was accepted but I wouldn't stop looking at other properties if I was you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

If it needs new windows and possibly rewiring that's the guts of 20k straight away without anything else being done
    Maybe the EA knows of other issues and does not want an offer accepted and then you pull out and the house has to go on the market again
    If a house goes sale agreed and then on the market again it raises red flags for other buyers
    Just speculation but I would tread warily
    Is there extensions ,internal walls already knocked ,flat roof anywhere
    If the heating system needs to be upgraded that's another 8-12 k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Yeah, just emailed her there to ask if there are any known structural issues that have not already been mentioned. I know the windows and rewiring are going to cost a pretty penny but have already factored that in, the house is in a good location for me so I at least want to investigate any issues thoroughly and would be willing to put some work and money into it over the next couple of years.

Thanks both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

I know the windows and rewiring are going to cost a pretty penny but have already factored that in, the house is in a good location for me so I at least want to investigate any issues thoroughly and would be willing to put some work and money into it over the next couple of years.

)
    I'm in a similar position with an offer in on a property that needs work. I've planned to get a structural survey report from an indemnified company. This means you have recourse if they miss something. The idea of an informal look by a builder is fine as a starting point but it's a huge purchase and I would like a reliable and accountable report. Was quoted 800€ for a report. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Yeah, just emailed her there to ask if there are any known structural issues that have not already been mentioned. I know the windows and rewiring are going to cost a pretty penny but have already factored that in, the house is in a good location for me so I at least want to investigate any issues thoroughly and would be willing to put some work and money into it over the next couple of years.

Thanks both :)
    Well if you intend putting money in over a couple of years the rewiring and plumbing should be the very first things to be done and best done before you move in
    Both those jobs are very disruptive and are cheaper to do in an unoccupied house as the contractors have no furniture to move and can leave floorboards etc up and utilities off while they work
    Much better getting those 2 jobs done before you move in if possible .
    Also if you are insulating walls etc much easier to do in an empty house

• Advertisement
Advertisement