Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was this that bit me?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi, was out for a walk yesterday in the countryside and felt a strong 'pinch' on my lower shin. I wasnt wearing shorts, was wearing full length joggers. I looked down and there was a big enough (but not huge) brown flying insect just sat there where I felt the pinch. It didnt seem to be in a hurry to fly away when I stopped so I had to flick him off myself. Checked out the skin where it bit me and it was bleeding. This morning the area is a little bit red and little bit firm under the skin where the spot is. Do I have anything to worry about? I dont want it to develop into a small permanent raised spot as I have heard can happen to people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Google Horsefly.

No you've nothing to worry about.

Where have you been thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Sounds to me like a horsefly. My least favourite of the biters. A bite can cause a temporary raised welt sometimes with a 'tail' but I've never had any permanent damage. If it's very itchy try an antihistamine but it will fade on its own.
    If you google horsefly bites you'll see pictures of extreme cases but most people don't have these reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Sounds to me like a horsefly. My least favourite of the biters. A bite can cause a temporary raised welt sometimes with a 'tail' but I've never had any permanent damage. If it's very itchy try an antihistamine but it will fade on its own. If you google horsefly bites you'll see pictures of extreme cases but most people don't have these reactions.

Thank you. Fairly ugly looking yoke even for an insect. Had very similar one land on my arm couple weeks ago but no bite. Mad how it was able to bite through the fairly thick material of my joggers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Jesus, that video 😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Horseflies are horrible things, they cling on and continue to bite. One got caught under my shirt one time and bite me 7 times, each one so much more painful than the previous. I took antihistamines immediately and put cream on it. The welts lasted 4 weeks and two years later that area is still itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tringle wrote: »
    Horseflies are horrible things, they cling on and continue to bite. One got caught under my shirt one time and bite me 7 times, each one so much more painful than the previous. I took antihistamines immediately and put cream on it. The welts lasted 4 weeks and two years later that area is still itchy.

Gah.. nightmare

Bitten by one as a kid. Still remember the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus, that video 😲

Some weird ones in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thank you. Fairly ugly looking yoke even for an insect. Had very similar one land on my arm couple weeks ago but no bite. Mad how it was able to bite through the fairly thick material of my joggers too.

Consider they developed to bite through horse and cattle skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I have an awful reaction to those bites, practically saucer sized swollen hard raised welts and so itchy! Hate those flies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Was out cutting the grass Saturday evening got an awful bite on neck, reckon it was horsefly neck swelled up and was roaring red took piroton and rubbing sudocream on it finally went down and pain gone this morning thank god it was some pain Saturday night felt like crap.

Advertisement