Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

15 percent degradation on the q4 sounds bizarre, I had none on my Etron 50 over 2 years.

If agree the tech isn't at tesla levels but you use android auto or carplay most of the time now anyway.

When you say the 50 will barely do 200km that's not really correct, I'd agree it would barely do 200km at motor way speeds in the winter but with mixed driving you'll get 300km in summer for example

Remember a warranty from a non audi used car dealer is not generally the same as an approved used manufacturer warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Agreed but they’ll do the same job for the same budget. I’d exclude an ID.4 as it’s interior is a long way off most Audi models but each to their own. A used fat Etron doesn’t really have a direct competitor that I can think of.

The main ones are the I pace and the eqc although both are a good bit smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

I think Audi looks the part in terms of those etrons but thats where it ends, Im an Audi fan myself having been through an A3,A4,A4 estate, A5. Im also in the marked for a 50-60k EV after selling my ID4. Because of range I ruled it out straight away. Your Charging a large battery to get half the distance. In terms if the MIC Model Y's with upgraded suspension. Im watching everything closely and have heard nothing but good reviews?

Sae as you Ive a Y on order and thats the way ill be heading. However im the far distant future with kids grown up the yes give me a Etron GT all day long :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 schibaxo

yes, actually I've talked with Spirit Skoda about the etron there for sale and the guy said they'd bring it to the audi service if anything happens under warranty terms, but I am not sure. By the way, as far as I know manufacturer's warranty is for 3 years so a 211 reg should be under that warranty (but not sure if anything is different for UK imports)

your summary is like the sum of all my fears 😅

but it is what it is for my budget. looks like I will need to go above 60K euros if I try to find an etron 55 with low mileage. Since range will not be my 1st concern (but it's a huge parameter when the time comes to sell) I will try to decide between comfort and the tech

Who can say no to the etron GT, an absolute beast :)

What kind of range problem did you have with ID.4, as far as I know, they give at least 400km+ in ideal conditions, don't they?

Model Y has really good reviews and will arrive with the new suspension. But it will be far less comfortable than the etron but looks like going with a used etron which will fit my budget is kind of risky. The good thing is used etron supply looks strong and prices are going down so maybe I can get a good deal before I need to pay for Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Comer1

I think it was the Audi he ruled out because of range, not the ID.4

Oh yes, I guess I got it wrong. Yes, the range is worrying if you travel a lot daily.

• Advertisement

UK Audi warranty is 3 years also but I’m not sure if Audi Ireland would stand over it. You could always take it to Audi Belfast for warranty items if you had to. Like any premium car out of warranty, you need to have a few grand set aside for unexpected issues. It’s not the type of car you can run on a shoestring. Even routine stuff like Tyres and brakes will be well expensive. Lovely motor though if it fits your budget and your comfortable to be out of warranty. If you’re going for one it might be worth researching importing one yourself and cut out the middleman. Do your homework on VAT, VRT, Customs etc.

His post was about a q4 so not really relevant as its a different car. No point getting the base spec Etron either you'll want sport at a minimum and ideally a s line.

My bad. Apologies

For clarity my comments above obviously relate to a used full fat Etron not the Q4. Used Q4 Etrons seem way overpriced for what they are. They are so scarce dealers can command whatever they want for them. I’d find it very difficult to pay €55K for a second car with cloth seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The Id4 interior is all down to taste. The Q4 interior is very basic. Material seats lower down the range and no better than an A1. It's all down to taste I guess but I wouldnt touch a Q4. It's too expensive for nothing more than good exterior looks. The newer ID4 are great cars. You get a lot more car for your money and a GTX looks better than a Q4.

Be careful with Audi-approved, particularly with an EV. Audi aftersales is very poor in this country and if the car has issues they will drag their heels fixing it. Also, the big Eton is one of the most depreciating cars in the market at the moment. The Q4 not so much. I'm still not sure why people buy Audi EVs. They are far too expensive for very little kit unless you opt for a very expensive s-line. In the last few years I've owned new and used Audis and while the new cars are rock solid a lot of the used stuff have problems as they are mostly ex-company cars. VAG in general is on a downward trajectory in my opinion. I haven't been impressed with Audi or VW at all over the last few years, particularly when dealing with issues with used cars. While I understand that Audi owners generally won't look at a VW, Skoda, Kia, or Hyundai, I would seriously check out everything before jumping into an e-tron.

Agreed. I've owned a few Audis over the years and was looking at a Q4. The dealerships were useless and couldn't get their hands on one. Rubbish finance deals and low trade-ins. I bought a 6-month-old ICE Audi last year after months of waiting for a Q4 and the car wasn't right. I've since moved to a non-VAG brand and I have to say brands such as Kia, Polestar, Hyundai, and Tesla are doing much better cars for far less money. I still think the ID4 is a great car, just a little overpriced at this point. I'd buy a nice one over a Q4 all day long. The interior in the Q4 is poor. No better than an A1 with standard material seats.

Not sure what your experience of owning an etron but the depreciation on my etron 50 was something like 15% over 2 years, id imagine that's pretty far from the most depreciating car in the market. Maybe relative to other cheaper evs, but expensive cars will always depreciate more.

They're very keenly priced on the used market at the moment and a lot of reports in the UK of them losing a ton of money. Don't get me wrong, I like them, I just wouldn't buy an EV Audi considering how bad Audi after-sales is and how little you get apart from the badge for your money.

Id agree after-sales isn't amazing, but BMW is the same, mercedes are better than both IMO. The large e-tron is pretty well specced (the q4 is hit and miss i agree) .

I ordered a Q4 but after the price hike, I just couldn't justify it. I suppose it's the same with VW. Their cars have shot up in price.

• Advertisement

It’s even beyond the VAG group, almost all EV’s have shot up by €5K-€10K in 12-18 months. Tesla seem to be the only exception.

A bog standard Q4 at over 60k just doesn't make sense. I've no idea why they discontinued the 35 e-tron. It was pretty keenly priced at the beginning of last year. As I mentioned in another forum I went with Polestar. The Apr rate is just 3.9% which is far more attractive than what VAG is offering at the moment. 3 years of free servicing too. Anyone with their thinking cap on will buy an Ioniq 5 or a Tesla Model Y. They offer the best value when you consider size, spec and price at the moment.

my mum had a q4 35 ordered and it was cancelled :( ended up with an EQA which isnt as nice imo but plenty were in the same boat.

Yes, early last year I think you could get one for around 54k for a sport with upgraded alloys and paint. I like what Mercedes is doing at the moment. The cars look a little odd but odd is good sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

A friend got a q4 35 with a couple of essential (for him) options last year for a smidgeon under €60k so he could avail of grant. Each to their own but I couldnt justify paying that much for a car that is neither powerful or fast and has such a mediocre range. Your paying a serious premium for the 4 rings

Yes, agreed. I've slowly come to the conclusion after owning two ICE Audis in a row that they aren't really that special anymore. Their business strategy of charging extra for every little thing doesn't really stack up when you end up with a very basic Q4 for just under 60k. In my opinion, the four rings are starting to look a bit dated on the road. Audi has been slow off the mark in developing new cars over the last 5 years and their design language inside and outside of their cars has become dated. Comparable Merc and BMWs look a hell of a lot better at the moment.

when you say a serious premium what are you comparing it to, cost him around 55k all in right with the grant?

in certain models yes, a6 v e class for example and 5 series, ditto the a4 v c class and 3 series,

i still think the etrons, large and q4 are better looking than the competition, the etron gt is one of the best looking cars on the road,

few others are elong in the tooth now, q7 needs a new model for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

I'm comparing it to an Ioniq 5 with 54kwh battery which I understand can be had for just over €40k. Very similar car except the Ioniq can theoretical charge at double the speed of the etron 35 which would at least compensate for its limited range on longer journeys. Personally I would go for etron if similarly priced but a €10k+ premium is simply too much to justify imo.

• Advertisement

Yes, the Q4 and Etron are good-looking cars and the e-Tron, in particular, has really held onto its looks since it came out. I think if I was spending a lot of money on a nice Q4, I would just buy an Id4 GTX. It looks a bit more special. Interestingly, I was just listening to the most recent fully charged podcast on Spotify. They talk openly about how young people no longer aspire to own a flashy Audi anymore. Buyers are now looking at brands such as Kia and Hyundai. I think this is the point I am getting at. Apart from the Q4 and Etron, the former being more of a transitionary vehicle from ICE, Audi isn't really offering anything interesting at the moment. Audi has the potential to create a really interesting design language around the e-Tron gt and they haven't really done that. They are playing it too safe in my opinion. The Q8 e-Tron just appeared in their range over the last few weeks and when you look at something like the Kia EV9 that is coming out soon, you have to ask, are Audi playing it too safe?

Advertisement