Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Gains Tax and Seedrs (Venture Capital investment?)

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I have invested in a few startups via the Seedrs platform, most notably Revolut, and I am thinking of selling my shares to fund a mortgage deposit. I will definitely have to pay Capital Gains Tax, but I know CGT is only 15% for "venture capital" investments.

Does seedrs count as VC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hi all

I have invested in a few startups via the Seedrs platform, most notably Revolut, and I am thinking of selling my shares to fund a mortgage deposit. I will definitely have to pay Capital Gains Tax, but I know CGT is only 12.5% for "venture capital" investments.

Does seedrs count as VC?

No you’ll be taxed at 33%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Rate of CGT
    The rate of CGT is 33% for most gains. There are other rates for specific types of gains. These rates are:

40% for gains from foreign life policies and foreign investment products
    15% for gains from venture capital funds for individuals and partnerships
    12.5% for gains from venture capital funds for companies.
    Venture capital is money that is invested in a start-up company or small business.

Happy to pay the 33%, just wondering what this means?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Yeh, it'll be normal CGT.

VC 15% would only apply if you were running a VC fund and I believe applies to the carry. You're not running a VC fund so it won't apply either way.

Cheers all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 blocstock

arent u allowed to sell a certain amount tax free ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

blocstock wrote: »
    arent u allowed to sell a certain amount tax free ?

Yep, €1,270.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Sorry to jump in, Do you have to pay Stamp duty when you buy shares on seeders? Thanks.

shanmo wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in, Do you have to pay Stamp duty when you buy shares on seeders? Thanks.

Ehm, I dunno. I didn't. Should I?

Advertisement