Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting an attic - insulation query

• 01-07-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm converting my attic into a home office. When I built the house I had the roof done to allow this so I have a load of open space up there.
    Currently my house (bungalow) is only insulated at the ceiling level between the floor joists with fibreglass and also insulated ceiling slabs. The attic space itself has no insulation under the slates.
    I have floored the attic and plan on insulating between the rafters with 150mm fibreglass insulation and then facing it all off with t&g panelling.

My question is this... Do I need to ensure there's a cavity between the roof felt and the insulation?
    The rafters are 7"x2"s (measuring 170mm deep) and the insulation I got is 150mm.
    Do I need to do anything to ensure a cavity or can I just put the insulation between the rafters and the t&g on after that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hi all,
    I'm converting my attic into a home office. When I built the house I had the roof done to allow this so I have a load of open space up there.
    Currently my house (bungalow) is only insulated at the ceiling level between the floor joists with fibreglass and also insulated ceiling slabs. The attic space itself has no insulation under the slates.
    I have floored the attic and plan on insulating between the rafters with 150mm fibreglass insulation and then facing it all off with t&g panelling.

My question is this... Do I need to ensure there's a cavity between the roof felt and the insulation?
    The rafters are 7"x2"s (measuring 170mm deep) and the insulation I got is 150mm.
    Do I need to do anything to ensure a cavity or can I just put the insulation between the rafters and the t&g on after that?

Yes you need the ventilation (50mm) above the insulation as well as ridge vents.

On a separate point, where is your air tight barrier. If you do as you suggest then your insulation will be useless as the heat loss by draughts will be large and this will negatively effect the whole house.

Advertisement