Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value 34" Ultrawide 120Hz+

Options
  • 01-07-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of passing my Dell 3415W on to the father in law. Just wondering if there are any good value offerings at the moment. I was looking at the Viotek EDG but it seems expensive given the prices quoted in reviews.

Comments

I have the new AOC 34" on my watch list. Good value but i've read that there's flickering issues when using an Nvidia GPU so will wait a while to see if it's fixed before pulling the trigger.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-cu34g2x-bk-34-3440x1440-va-144hz-1ms-freesync-curved-widescreen-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-059-ao.html

These are back in stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Any advance on this or is the AOC the only game in town for value high refresh 1440p?

Any update on the flickering issue?

Also wondering about the older model. Wonder if it can be overclocked...

Edit: I see it's not an older model they launched at the same time, very tempted given it's £399 on Amazon.

There's an Iiyama one just out but apparently that flickers too. Think i'm going to have to shelve the idea for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I bought an £800 34" ultrawide and hated it. Too big, too wide, for my desk, too much scanning the screen, and it's a fairly wide/deep desk. Used it for a month and it's since been gathering dust.

I think the sweet spot are those smaller ultrawides. Way back in the day I had a 25" 2560x1080, that was pretty much perfect.

Homelander wrote: »
    I bought an £800 34" ultrawide and hated it. Too big, too wide, for my desk, too much scanning the screen, and it's a fairly wide/deep desk. Used it for a month and it's since been gathering dust.

I think the sweet spot are those smaller ultrawides. Way back in the day I had a 25" 2560x1080, that was pretty much perfect.

Take you point on the screen scanning, but I usually play RPGs and Strategy games where the immersion on a UW is amazing imho. Then for work it's great too! What did you buy and are you looking to sell it at a bargain knock down price? :pac:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082VHT11B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I see these are back down to £450. I'd be replacing a Dell U3415W IPS 60Hz with a very gentle curve in it. Other than the flickering issue is there anything else I should be aware of? Kind of trying to talk myself out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I bought the AOC monitor last week from amazon. They lost the package somewhere along the way (along with separately losing my nvme and a fan) and now the price has jumped up because they don't have it in stock.

Long story short, I reordered from OCUK... it cost me £30 more, but Amazon can get stuffed.

Am happy to report back here when it arrives if you can wait. I'm not expecting an amazing monitor, but reviews point to it being very good for the price in terms of spec/performance.

I'm currently on an LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080. Have it about 5 years and couldn't go back to 16x9.

Advertisement