Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month ban in soccer forum

Options
  • 01-07-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I just got a 6 month ban in the soccer forum because I wouldn't let a poster bait me into responding in a way that would get me a ban. I'm only after getting a 6 month banned rescinded but sure enough within a few days one of a few posters who are constantly having a go and trying to bait me did again today. Since it was my last chance I was determined not to take the bait. I asked him what his problem was and told him I was sick of it. I stupidly told him I reported his post but I wasn't trying to act as moderator. I didn't say he should be banned or anything but it looks like his ploy has worked because here I am with another ban due to a technicality . I'm finding this all so very frustrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

How long does in take for a CM od to get involved with this. I created this almost a week ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'll nudge the CMods on this now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi Minime, have you discussed this with the mod who carded/banned you?

Yes

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok nice one.

Look, you were only after getting a card reversed an ban lifted and you were back banned within a day or two. That makes it very difficult for me to justify reversing this one. Both this card and the one that was reversed were breaching the charter and I'm not convinced that if this one is reversed we won't be back here again in a week talking about your next one.

I'm going to uphold the card as it was a basic enough case of backseat modding as per the charter (relevant line bolded):
    Frisbee wrote: »
    If you believe a post is in breach of the charter then you should report it, and move on. If you engage the poster on his/her breach of the charter you risk infraction for back-seat modding.

Examples of back-seat modding include:
    • Calling someone a troll.
    • Telling a poster not to post in a thread, or they should post elsewhere
    • Telling a poster you have reported their post (effectively accusing them of a breach of the charter)
    • Commenting on a breach of charter
    • Informing a user that you have/will be putting them on your ignore list. Advising others to do the same.

This list is not exhaustive, and mod discretion may be applied in cases where the intent is judged to be helpful (for example, telling another user they should use spoiler tags for score updates, and showing them how to do so).

The rule of thumb should always be to leave moderation to the mods.

You can ask an admin to review my decision if you like.

• Advertisement

I would like an admin to take a look at it. If they uphold this decision I will be closing my account . Whilst the moderation on boards can be harsh I can accept that but I cant accept unfairnesswhich it won't be if this decision isn't reversed . My 2 yellows were for two very minor breaches .The poster that baited me knew exactly what he was doing and it seems posters like him and others like him have free reign to do what they like

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I would like an admin to take a look at it. If they uphold this decision I will be closing my account .

I'll take a look at this shortly. Threatening an account closure as your opening salvo is not a good hand to play though.

My 2 yellows were for two very minor breaches.

So you accept that they were breaches of the rules, on both occasions. That makes things more straightforward.
    The poster that baited me knew exactly what he was doing and it seems posters like him and others like him have free reign to do what they like

Nobody forced your hand when it came to posting what you posted. Unfortunately, there's no room for ambiguity in this case, or nuances of interpretation of the charter. The charter states unequivocally "Don't do XYZ." You did XYZ. You were given a free pass on your previous DRP. This time, I am upholding the card, and the ban that results from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement