Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of doing something a bit mad

• 01-07-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

So I'm considering a purchase.

Not sure if linking is allowed or all that but I currently drive a MK5 1.4 Golf and while I love it I've always wanted an MX5.

Came across this https://www.adverts.ie/car/mazda/mx-5/mazda-mx-5-2001/18651514 and wondering what someone with a better knowledge of cars would think?

No tax since 2018 since it was sold to a garage by the last owner of 10 years and has bounced to 2 more (I think) traders since and NCT not done since DEC19.

I'm sure I'd be able to hammer the price down but is it a bit too much of a risk?

TY in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s a reason for everything.

I’d hate to have to buy it to find out the answer though.

I’d suspect terminal rust but might be wrong.

You could always ask them the price with an NCT. If they’re not willing to test it then you can be sure they know something you don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I'd fear something like Colm says, as there are very few of them around any more and a car like that SHOULD have been snapped up and not sitting in traders for that long, but then again, if it's something you've always wanted to try, hang on to your Golf, and if bodywork isn't an issue then give it a go. In the overall scheme of things, €2500 isn't a life changing amount of money, yeah it's a bummer if something goes wrong, but if you keep your Golf as a backup, I say go for it. As the saying goes, you only live once!

Spent the last 6 months telling my young lad not to buy a car he had his heart set on, but he still bought it two weeks ago, and while I tried to make him see sense, there's a side of me is delighted he did it anyway as it showed he had his heart set on it so much, he was gonna do it and not spend his life regretting trying it. His car funnily enough was a Mazda also, but an RX8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You could always ask them the price with an NCT. If they’re not willing to test it then you can be sure they know something you don’t.

Not the worst idea actually thanks for that.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    His car funnily enough was a Mazda also, but an RX8!

Funnily enough the MX-5, RX-7 and RX-8 are all dream cars of mine! I love my Golf but there's something alluring about the Mazda's.. even if the engines are contentious.

Cheers lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Check for rust,
    Front chassis rails
    Side sills,
    Rear arches.
    I think the 1.6 also had an overheating potential issue. ( I am not 100% sure on this but I am sure my son mentioned this to me.)
    He is pretty well clued up on them, he has one that he has spent a good lot of money and time on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

It is hard to find a more fun car for the money / running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had a similar moment of madness and bought a nearly new MX5.

Fantastic cars and great fun to drive. No regrets at all - puts a smile on my face just sitting in it, which only broadens when he engine fires up.

Of course being quite new, no need to worry about rust or anything much.

Go for it (if it is OK).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've always wanted an Mx5 and will probably get one next summer.Id be going for the new shape Mx5RF but love the older ones too.

I have spent a lot of time looking at them and there's great value on them in the UK.
    I wouldn't risk the one you've linked though,it also seems very over priced for a 20 year old car with no nct.If you could stretch the budget just a little there are better examples in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The only thing to be careful about is the VRT and Motortax on 2008 cars.

2007 are on engine CC rate which is €560 (I think) for a 1.8l. In 2008, that goes to €760 on CO2, but that drops to €570 in 2009 due to slightly lower CO2.

Post 2015 cars (1.5l) have a CO2 of 139g which has a tax of €280, an up to 50 mpg. Also, you can put the hood up or down from the drivers seat - never came across that in a manual hood before. Also the gear change is the best of any car I have owned.

The MX5 ND is the one to go with - assuming the budget is there for it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s a reason for everything.

I’d hate to have to buy it to find out the answer though.

I’d suspect terminal rust but might be wrong.

Tinfoil hat alert, but...

I think a lot of dealers are 'in' with certain NCT centres. I've had a car pass the NCT when it shouldn't have, but was in the ownership of the dealer at the time.

I've also had a car fail the NCT, but lots of things it very obviously should have failed on were overlooked. So instead of being told it failed on 10 things, it just needs to be re-tested on 2-3 things (if I'm explaining that correctly?).

Personally, if i were worried, i'd get an inde mechanic to have a look at the car before buying. You'd get a more honest opinion of where you stand that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Tinfoil hat alert, but...

I think a lot of dealers are 'in' with certain NCT centres. I've had a car pass the NCT when it shouldn't have, but was in the ownership of the dealer at the time.

I've also had a car fail the NCT, but lots of things it very obviously should have failed on were overlooked. So instead of being told it failed on 10 things, it just needs to be re-tested on 2-3 things (if I'm explaining that correctly?).

Personally, if i were worried, i'd get an inde mechanic to have a look at the car before buying. You'd get a more honest opinion of where you stand that way.

I know of certain garages borrow parts of scrap yards, fix up the car for the NCT take out the parts then and return them to scrap yard.

lickalot wrote: »
    I know of certain garages borrow parts of scrap yards, fix up the car for the NCT take out the parts then and return them to scrap yard.

Wouldn't surprise me, though I think that would possibly be more labour intensive than it'd be really worth..?

In my examples it was me that presented the car to the NCT, but it was just booked in under someone else's name. A name I'm sure the testers are familiar with.

I had a car in yesterday. Missing wheel nut on one of the wheels, and brake caliper is digging into the disc causing 'pulsing' when braking. Disc is visibly worn. Neither were mentioned on the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Wouldn't surprise me, though I think that would possibly be more labour intensive than it'd be really worth..?

In my examples it was me that presented the car to the NCT, but it was just booked in under someone else's name. A name I'm sure the testers are familiar with.

I had a car in yesterday. Missing wheel nut on one of the wheels, and brake caliper is digging into the disc causing 'pulsing' when braking. Disc is visibly worn. Neither were mentioned on the test.

Not really if there selling anything with half decent value over 3k.

Advertisement