Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of barbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

unkel wrote: »
    I had EUR15 in my hand to give to him (50% tip - most of his clientele are non-Europeans and they never tip him a cent) as I was in a good mood to finally get a cut, the home jobs were alright but obviously not to the same standard

Then he told me the price was EUR15, so I just gave him the money that was in my hand without saying anything. If he charges me EUR15 again the next time, I will ask some robust questions. If he insists, I won't be going there no more...

So you planned on paying 15 euro. You paid 15 euro and are annoyed at paying 15 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I must say I would be happy to pay 10-20% for a cut for an appointment based service - used to hate queuing for an hour for a cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nancybee

So you planned on paying 15 euro. You paid 15 euro and are annoyed at paying 15 Euro.

I think maybe expecting to pay €15.00 including tip is not quite the same as being charged €15.00 (and possibly expecting a tip on top).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

They are charging €25. Was €18 previously.

18 euro? I can't recall paying that when I got a haircut there maybe before Christmas? Maybe something like 14-15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Having moved to Galway in past year from Dublin I find it baffling the lack of quality decent barbers around and also shocked at the extortionste prices they charging. Was paying €15 for what was good cut from regular barbers in Dublin but haven't seen anything rivalling the quality of cut from the so called premium priced barbers around town. Also frustrating at the lack of barber shops that open late evenings to suit workers or even open on a Sunday. Dreading the thoughts of having go and queue for an ordinary cut again and paying €20 + for it judging by the prices quoted here. May be getting the wife to continue with home cut and she will be getting better with each cut hopefully !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

mjp wrote: »
    Having moved to Galway in past year from Dublin I find it baffling the lack of quality decent barbers around and also shocked at the extortionste prices they charging. Was paying €15 for what was good cut from regular barbers in Dublin but haven't seen anything rivalling the quality of cut from the so called premium priced barbers around town. Also frustrating at the lack of barber shops that open late evenings to suit workers or even open on a Sunday. Dreading the thoughts of having go and queue for an ordinary cut again and paying €20 + for it judging by the prices quoted here. May be getting the wife to continue with home cut and she will be getting better with each cut hopefully !!

My wife has been doing all our haircuts since 2004. Never been to a barber. Myself and 3 boys once every 3-4 weeks. Imagine the annual haircut bill:D

I’d rather take it off at home in clumps with a hacksaw than pay 26 euro for a haircut.
    And once that sh1te hawking Paying 26 euro a cut starts it will be considered the normal anymore.

That's the real issue here, these temporary increases will become the norm.
    It's like the temporary USC. Once the money starts coming in it's hard for them to let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I bought clippers which i used yesterday for the first time. My hair was massive and i just mowed it all off. It looks crap now. I don't want to go to the barbers due to the risk involved but i wouldn't mind paying up to 20 quid for a decent cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

My wife has been doing all our haircuts since 2004. Never been to a barber. Myself and 3 boys once every 3-4 weeks. Imagine the annual haircut bill:D

Yere dead right.we are doing the same here since the lockdown and it’s a great job.wont be going back to the barbers again.too much hassle and gone too expensive when there’s a few to go in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

mjp wrote: »

There’s a barber called Frank out in kozzys in knocknacarra. He’s around for years, he’s an excellent barber and wasn’t trained like most younger barbers in Galway were in a place like edge - cut as many as you can, as quick as you can. I’ll be going back to him.

He takes his time and doesn’t try to drag 25mins out of a haircut either. I’d say Fat Tony’s will either change their pricing or they’ll be gone out of business. There’s far too many barbers in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Why was my post deleted? It was a informative post that was related to the topic. No explanation given or PM sent, are the mods gone mad

Show some consistency please and stop with the agendas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Think there’s a new barber in Salthill beside Mochas, walked past and sign said open 7 days and there didn’t seem to be much of a queue.

Anyone been?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Think there’s a new barber in Salthill beside Mochas, walked past and sign said open 7 days and there didn’t seem to be much of a queue.

Anyone been?

TbL
    My colleague was in there before lockdown, was very happy with the cut and the fact the pricelist was on the window. I dont think the prices have changed since then.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    My colleague was in there before lockdown, was very happy with the cut and the fact the pricelist was on the window. I dont think the prices have changed since then.

Thanks I’ll give him a go

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

New barber on the Cappagh Road, the Upper Cut.

Wonderful service. Book appointment online, pay online (€16). Park outside the door. No traffic or parking hassle. Done and dusted in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

?Cee?view wrote: »

Wonderful service. Book appointment online, pay online (€16). Park outside the door. No traffic or parking hassle. Done and dusted in 30 minutes.

Great name!

She used to work in kozzy’s knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    She used to work in kozzy’s knocknacarra

Yes, but the service is far superior to anything Kozzy's would do. No rushing you in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anyone been in to the barber a few doors down from Mr.Price in Terryland?

That's my usual port of call - wondering has he increased his prices by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GALWAYGUY2019

would imagine barbers would average 2 cuts a hour if u take in there quiet periods. so €15 / €20 a hair cut isnt bad.

Consdering, wages, tax, vat, insurance, rent, rates, prsi, water rates plus the price of kiting out the place and im probably missing a few things.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »

Had my two sons in there for cuts, €25 in total and they’re both happy. Seems reasonable price to me

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

would imagine barbers would average 2 cuts a hour if u take in there quiet periods. so €15 / €20 a hair cut isnt bad.

Consdering, wages, tax, vat, insurance, rent, rates, prsi, water rates plus the price of kiting out the place and im probably missing a few things.

If a barber is only doing 2 cut's an hour they won't be long getting shown the door from the owner.

More realistic to do 4 an hour . I agree that there is a lot of overheads like any other business.

Yes, but the service is far superior to anything Kozzy's would do. No rushing you in and out.

I’ll tell you a story. I went in to her for a hair cut a few months back (not her exactly) but I used to get my haircut there because of Frank. So I sat down and she started combing through my hair & started smiling to herself as if to say, this lads hair is a mess.

She asked, “where did you get your haircut done last?” I said “here”. She said “really” at this stage the other 3 barbers were listening. She asked “who cut it?” I said “you did”

What’s my point? A barber should never try to make fun of anyone else’s work because it easily could of been them that cut the hair in the first place. In this case it was her that cut it both times. In all the years of getting my haircut, it’s never happened before. Totally turned me off going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is this the Frank that used to be in House of Grafton?

If a barber is only doing 2 cut's an hour they won't be long getting shown the door from the owner.

More realistic to do 4 an hour . I agree that there is a lot of overheads like any other business.

I wouldn’t like to be getting my hair cut in a place that does 4 hair cuts an hour.

Place I go it’s only two bookings an hour per barber and my barber of choice was 40 mins cutting my hair - this would be the norm for any decent barber to spend on me.

From just sitting in the waiting waiting area observing before lockdown on average I’d not see any barber get though more than 2 an hour, 3 max if they had someone in for a 3 all over or something but even less than 2 an hour when doing fades etc or a lot of time blending etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I wouldn’t like to be getting my hair cut in a place that does 4 hair cuts an hour.

Place I go it’s only two bookings an hour per barber and my barber of choice was 40 mins cutting my hair - this would be the norm for any decent barber to spend on me.

From just sitting in the waiting waiting area observing before lockdown on average I’d not see any barber get though more than 2 an hour, 3 max if they had someone in for a 3 all over or something but even less than 2 an hour when doing fades etc or a lot of time blending etc.

how long you can nurse a pint for?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is this the Frank that used to be in House of Grafton?

Yip

how long you can nurse a pint for?

Lol. Did you ever read such nonsense? I text one of the lads in London that’s a ladies hairdresser (his brother is a barber in another country)

I asked him about the whole 30min for a lads haircut. His reply....

“It’s the faffing“

Shaving the same spot over & over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

How in the name of god could you be 40 minutes getting a haircut?
    I’ve seen full ewes sheared in 4 minutes and a full fleece on them including daggins.

• Advertisement

How in the name of god could you be 40 minutes getting a haircut?
    I’ve seen full ewes sheared in 4 minutes and a full fleece on them including daggins.

Because not everyone gets their hair sheered off. When there is a few different blade lengths, scissors , blending, probably two phases of drying to check things are sitting right when dry, cut throat razor on neck, eyebrows etc it all adds up.

I wouldn’t even be the longest by any means, lads getting below zero fades etc get charged extra as it takes even longer.

Advertisement