Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance membership

Options
  • 01-07-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to get back playing soon (haven’t played in years) but my local club in cork is outside of budget for the amount I would be able to play over the next 4/5 months so I was thinking about just paying green fees however I need to join somewhere to get a handicap I believe. Does anyone know of a cheap distance membership or payg membership offer I could join? It doesn’t really bother me too much not having a handicap at the moment but I would like to compete in open days etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Id say Slievenamon in Clonmel are your best bet and are the one you hear about most if you basically just want a handicap and their not that far from you maybe and they are big players in that game. You do have to play the course a few times a year so that the handicap is valid for playing in opens and not sure of the exact rule these days but if you joined now you probably couldnt play opens until next year. The other thing would be to join a society. You can only compete in open days if you have a handicap and its a valid one for playing opens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I know a few lads that joined Templemore for that reason. €150 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping to get back playing soon (haven’t played in years) but my local club in cork is outside of budget for the amount I would be able to play over the next 4/5 months so I was thinking about just paying green fees however I need to join somewhere to get a handicap I believe. Does anyone know of a cheap distance membership or payg membership offer I could join? It doesn’t really bother me too much not having a handicap at the moment but I would like to compete in open days etc.

Thanks in advance

Lot of Cork lads have distant membership in my club (Cahir).

€205 when you include GUI membership - No fee for casual rounds.

€5 for competitions as a member - Always spaces on timesheet etc and people are generally sound. Wouldn't bother with Slievenamon - Absolute dive (have played there a lot) and it's an extra 20 mins past Cahir for you so is a bit annoying in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The other thing would be to join a society.

Just to point out to the OP that a society isnt going to help them get a handicap to play opens (it will obviously allow them to play golf however!)

Advertisement