Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

icloud question?

• 01-07-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an iphone 6 and version 10.3.2. with a load of photos, too many - so want to use the cloud.
    I have gone ahead and purchased 50gb for 99 cent a month.

in settings > name > icloud > icloud

total storage is 50 gb
    available is 50gb

in settings > name > icloud > photos

icloud phone libaray is set to ON

optimise phone storage is ticked

so its seems icloud for photos is setup.
    My question is where do I go to tell the phone to upload my photos to cloud. is there some other area I need to go to.

I have left it about 30 mins and still the total storage and available storage is 50gb, so does not seem to be uploading my photos to cloud.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Go to icloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID and password. You'll be able to see all your pictures there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭obi604

Gwildor wrote: »
    Go to icloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID and password. You'll be able to see all your pictures there.

Ah ok.

Does it give you an idea on the phone itself when finished?

Do all the Photos on the phone just disappear or go to
    some different format?

Gwildor wrote: »

Ah ok.

Does it give you an idea on the phone itself when finished?

Do all the Photos on the phone just disappear or go to
    some different format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭KildareP

Open the Photos app

Scroll down to the bottom

Should be a progress indicator there

Thanks all. So the photos seem to be slowly moving to iCloud on my current/old phone. About 9 thousand!

When all these move to iCloud, all the photos should be stored there.

My last backup was done on my pc with iTunes and current/old phone when all the photos stored on phone

I have a totally new phone that I want to use.

When I do a ‘restore’ on the new phone via computer and iTunes, will this try and put the photos to the New phone again (seeing as last backup was based on all the photos being on the phone and not iCloud)

Or after all the photos upload to iCloud, should I do a backup again via iTunes on the Old/current phone? (Before attempting anything on the new phone)

• Advertisement

Backup the old phone to iCloud, then everything will come back down onto the new phone "as is".
    Photos are treated separately to the backups, too, so you can set the new phone up as brand new but the photos will carry across independently.

With optimise storage turned on on the new phone it won't bring each photo back down individually, rather, it downloads a low res thumbnail version of a few kilobytes onto the phone for display in the Photos app and when you want to open the photo fullscreen it will show you the original on iCloud, assuming you have internet.
    (You'll see a little progress circle appear as it pulls the original from iCloud)

You'll notice in the meantime that your free space on the old phone starts to increase as the photos are moved up to iCloud and deleted off the phone itself, leaving only that low res thumbnail file in its place.

Turning optimise storage off will redownload the original images off iCloud on either phone. You can also download the original images from iCloud in a web browser.

KildareP wrote: »
    Backup the old phone to iCloud, then everything will come back down onto the new phone "as is".
    Photos are treated separately to the backups, too, so you can set the new phone up as brand new but the photos will carry across independently.

With optimise storage turned on on the new phone it won't bring each photo back down individually, rather, it downloads a low res thumbnail version of a few kilobytes onto the phone for display in the Photos app and when you want to open the photo fullscreen it will show you the original on iCloud, assuming you have internet.
    (You'll see a little progress circle appear as it pulls the original from iCloud)

You'll notice in the meantime that your free space on the old phone starts to increase as the photos are moved up to iCloud and deleted off the phone itself, leaving only that low res thumbnail file in its place.

Turning optimise storage off will redownload the original images off iCloud on either phone. You can also download the original images from iCloud in a web browser.

Thanks.

Should I wait to backup old phone to iCloud until the 9000 photos Scenario finishes. Been nearly 24 hours now and still not all done (30mb WiFi, phone plugged in and near WiFi router)

Also. Never done iCloud backup. With this, do you not bother with iTunes and cables etc.

My issue is the phone is right on the limit. I just purchased a 50gb iCloud scenario and all the stuff on my phone is about 52gb. Will it me do a back up to iCloud as not enough space. What happens in this scenario? Some to cloud, some on phone ?

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Should I wait to backup old phone to iCloud until the 9000 photos Scenario finishes. Been nearly 24 hours now and still not all done (30mb WiFi, phone plugged in and near WiFi router)

Also. Never done iCloud backup. With this, do you not bother with iTunes and cables etc.

My issue is the phone is right on the limit. I just purchased a 50gb iCloud scenario and all the stuff on my phone is about 52gb. Will it me do a back up to iCloud as not enough space. What happens in this scenario? Some to cloud, some on phone ?
    For it to go full pelt have the phone is plugged in to power, connected to WiFi and locked. It only does small chunks otherwise. Yes, iCloud backup effectively replaces iTunes.

I think you might have to go up to the 200GB plan - if the bulk of that is photos you are probably going to hit the limit even without backups on top. It's 99c for 50GB and €2.99 for 200GB.

Also just to be clear: you cannot delete the photos in the photo app without also deleting them from iCloud. It's not a case of either on the phone or on iCloud, rather, it's on the phone or it's nowhere at all. If you delete any photos that go up to iCloud via the photos app on your phone it will delete them on iCloud too!
    That's the beauty of optimise storage - the photos still appear as normal on your phone but as low resolution thumbnails that take a fraction of the space the original image does while still granting you access to the original images as and when you need them.

But important to be aware of that behaviour - I've seen a few cases of people letting them all sync up to iCloud and then wiping them all off the phone thinking they're archived on iCloud, they aren't...

For it to go full pelt have the phone is plugged in to power, connected to WiFi and locked. It only does small chunks otherwise. Yes, iCloud backup effectively replaces iTunes.

I think you might have to go up to the 200GB plan - if the bulk of that is photos you are probably going to hit the limit even without backups on top. It's 99c for 50GB and €2.99 for 200GB.

Also just to be clear: you cannot delete the photos in the photo app without also deleting them from iCloud. It's not a case of either on the phone or on iCloud, rather, it's on the phone or it's nowhere at all. If you delete any photos that go up to iCloud via the photos app on your phone it will delete them on iCloud too!
    That's the beauty of optimise storage - the photos still appear as normal on your phone but as low resolution thumbnails that take a fraction of the space the original image does while still granting you access to the original images as and when you need them.

But important to be aware of that behaviour - I've seen a few cases of people letting them all sync up to iCloud and then wiping them all off the phone thinking they're archived on iCloud, they aren't...

Thank you !! Sorry for my stupid q's.

So no itunes, that is good as I hate itunes.

I may have to go to the 200gb storage

So as of now, old phone backed up on pc/itunes

Are next steps equal to

forget about the iphone backup on the PC
    Increase storage to be 200 gb on old phone
    WAIT for the old phone to upload all the photos to the cloud (to avoid doing 2 things at once, getting mixed up etc)
    When this is done, backup the whole old phone to icloud.
    Restore thew new phone from the previous icloud backup.

does this sound about right

Thank you !! Sorry for my stupid q's.

So no itunes, that is good as I hate itunes.

I may have to go to the 200gb storage

So as of now, old phone backed up on pc/itunes

Are next steps equal to

forget about the iphone backup on the PC
    Increse storage to be 200 gb on old phone

WAIT for the old phone to upload all the photos to the cloud (to avoid doing 2 things at once, getting mixed up etc)

When this is done, backup the whole old phone to icloud.

Restore thew new phone from the previous icloud backup.

does this sound about right

Correct.

Let all the photos sync to completion first.
    Do a backup in WhatsApp.
    Do a final backup of the old iPhone and turn it off.
    Turn on the new iPhone and restore it from iCloud backup during setup.
    New iPhone will bring across all settings, download all of the same apps and then photos will just appear in the photos app automatically.
    You work away on the new iPhone.

Only thing to check when turning on iCloud backup is that "Messages" is enabled too, I think the default is it is not. Just means SMS/MMS etc. will transfer across onto the new iPhone for you if enabled.

• Advertisement

Correct.

Do a backup in WhatsApp.
    New iPhone will bring across all settings, download all of the same apps and then photos will just appear in the photos app automatically.

Only thing to check when turning on iCloud backup is that "Messages" is enabled too, I think the default is it is not. Just means SMS/MMS etc. will transfer across onto the new iPhone for you if enabled.

ok, thank you........again

what the reference to WhatsApp?

ok, thank you........again

what the reference to WhatsApp?

WhatsApp isn't included in the iCloud backup process, it runs its own separate backup within WhatsApp itself. If you use it and don't back it up separately then you will have nothing to restore on the new phone (or might have an outdated backup).

another bleedin question (sorry)

1. I am waiting for my phone to do the photos to icloud scenario.
    2. then when finished I will backup my entire phone to icloud.

as I have previously backed up the photos to icloud in step 1, when I go to do the full backup to icloud in step 2, will it know all the photos are there already and not have to start it all from scratch again with thousands of photos i.e when I indeed do the full backup, will it just need to backup everything else except the photos - as already done in step 1

Yes it knows the photos are in iCloud already and will just backup everything else.

Correct.

Do a backup in WhatsApp.

Hi. Where do you turn on the ‘message‘ thing?

Edit: I don’t have messages in

Settings > name > iCloud > apps using iCloud

Messages does not appear here as a option for me.

Hi. Where do you turn on the ‘message‘ thing?

Settings > "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store" > iCloud

Advertisement