Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build keeps crashing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP here is the link to your BIOS image

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS

And here is a link to memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/

Pity you don't have internal graphics then you could rule out the card.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Flashed bios no change.
    Ram 2 passes 0 errors. Where do I go next.thanks.

You got there before me. :D

OP what are you doing when it crashes? How long did you run memtest? I would be curious to see if it is Windows causing the issue, can you make a bootable linux USB and see does it stay up when booted into linux?

Pop OS seems to be a popular choice lately

https://pop.system76.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

stevek93 wrote: »
    OP here is the link to your BIOS image

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS

And here is a link to memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/

Pity you don't have internal graphics then you could rule out the card.

Thanks mate. I gave up at 03:30;this morning. Anyone know if Digital solitude still posts on this forum. Hes close to me.

• Advertisement

Thanks mate. I gave up at 03:30;this morning. Anyone know if Digital solitude still posts on this forum. Hes close to me.

He last posted 11 months ago.

OP what are you doing when it crashes? How long did you run memtest? I would be curious to see if it is Windows causing the issue, can you make a bootable linux USB and see does it stay up when booted into linux?
    No experience big Linux at all. Not sure if it's against rules. If anyone would be so good as to pm their emails or what's app and after lunch. I'll video what happens.
    A info box pops up lower right and restarts then nothing.

He last posted 11 months ago.

My luck's right out on this. He's only 8 mile from me although I don't know him or have never spoken to him apart from on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

No experience big Linux at all. Not sure if it's against rules. If anyone would be so good as to pm their emails or what's app and after lunch. I'll video what happens.
    A info box pops up lower right and restarts then nothing.

Check event viewer and see what's showing

phily2002 wrote: »
    Check event viewer and see what's showing

I doubt it would be in the event viewer but he might be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Try to clock down both CPU and RAM, and try the same with the GPU (again, clock down both GPU and GPU memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Flashed bios no change.
    Ram 2 passes 0 errors. Where do I go next.thanks.

do you happen to have an old motherboard speaker? they were always included on older PCs, I always keep one for these sorts of problems

if you do, plug the speaker into the speaker header on the board and you might be able to diagnose the problem with beep codes

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

I doubt it would be in the event viewer but he might be lucky.
    Yeah normally, but if a info box pops up before it crashes, it might log what the error is

I'm away for a while lads. Thanks for all the replies, a lot of suggestions are away over my head I'm afraid. I'll report back later. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads rereading this thread it could be the display driver the whole time. It wouldnt be the first time WU has forced an incompatible driver and soft bricked a system.

Mem fail - Most commonly presents as a erratic and often BSODs, this seems consistent
    PSU Fail - it should just cut out, not ramp then cut

I think Urban may have been on course with the reinstalls.

1. Remove network connection
    2. Install W10
    3. Leave it running for 6hrs

That'll confirm if accurate. I'm a windows user but reluctantly, W10 is really trash at this point.

ED E wrote: »
    Lads rereading this thread it could be the display driver the whole time. It wouldnt be the first time WU has forced an incompatible driver and soft bricked a system.

Mem fail - Most commonly presents as a erratic and often BSODs, this seems consistent
    PSU Fail - it should just cut out, not ramp then cut

I think Urban may have been on course with the reinstalls.

1. Remove network connection
    2. Install W10
    3. Leave it running for 6hrs

That'll confirm if accurate. I'm a windows user but reluctantly, W10 is really trash at this point.

Graphics cards a dud people.
    Tried in another build and guess what it crashed it too.
    Put the Working card in my new build and system is stable and runs fine.
    Had the ryzen chip supported onboard graphics I'd have got there 30 hrs ago.:mad:

Now can someone recommend a similar priced card for my build Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Graphics cards a dud people.
    Tried in another build and guess what it crashed it too.
    Put the Working card in my new build and system is stable and runs fine.
    Had the ryzen chip supported onboard graphics I'd have got there 30 hrs ago.:mad:

Now can someone recommend a similar priced card for my build Thanks.

When building new, Nvidia 1650 super is the card to get. But you should be able to have the XFX replaced, it's a classic DOA...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Did you swap the PSU? I have a spare you're welcome to try. In Cork Only 460W max though. PM me if it's any use.

Did you swap the PSU? I have a spare you're welcome to try. In Cork Only 460W max though. PM me if it's any use.
    No I never got to that stage. It was the next step. Thanks very much for the offer though. Appreciate it.

grogi wrote: »
    When building new, Nvidia 1650 super is the card to get. But you should be able to have the XFX replaced, it's a classic DOA...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GEFORCE-Graphics-DisplayPort-Cooling/dp/B081QGH7S7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=HRIVWH8RD05K&dchild=1&keywords=nvidia+gtx+1650+super&qid=1593727427&sprefix=nvidia+GTX+1650+SUPER%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-1

Is that about the price of them?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't agree that the GTX1650 Super is "the" card to get. It still only has 4GB of VRAM, for most games from the last year or two, that's gonna cause issues with textures on anything higher than medium.

The RX580 8GB is same performance, same price but has double the vram.

You can get an RX570 8GB for a good bit cheaper then the 1650 Super either and basically very similar performance.

I would say "the" card to get in that rough ball-park is the GTX1660. That is considerably faster than the 580/1650 super cards for an extra £30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that the GTX1650 Super is "the" card to get. It still only has 4GB of VRAM, for most games from the last year or two, that's gonna cause issues with textures on anything higher than medium.

You can get an RX570 8GB for a good bit cheaper then the 1650 Super either and basically very similar performance.

I would say "the" card to get in that rough ball-park is the GTX1660. That is considerably faster than the 580/1650 super cards for an extra £30 or so.

You're actually right... I'd rather go with MSI Armour 8GB 580 than 1650Super 4GB myself. Not only you'd get more vRAM, but also superior cooling solution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-256-Bit-Memory-Express-Graphics/dp/B071Y7XJXN

Homelander wrote: »

I purchased this. Good choice or not. Thoughts.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I purchased this. Good choice or not. Thoughts.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G

It should be ok.

Cooler has a heatpipe & 90mm fans.

Advertisement