Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Range CCTV for Gate, no line of sight!

Options
  • 01-07-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,
    I haven't seen anything in here specific to what I am trying to do. I can buy a system, like the Hikvision for around my house. But I want o get a camera on the form road gate, which is about 70m away as the crow flies. But the driveway is a dogleg, making it about 150m to gate, with decent hedgerow and obstructions. So I am not confident of clear wifi signal to a camera up there. I have 240v power at the gate, and happy to use the wired camera's to a recorder in the house, then to the internet for streaming the feed, viewing recordings. But how can I be sure of a good connection wirelessly to the gate camera?
    Is there a repeater or something to go at the dogleg in the drive, which has line of sight to house and gate?

I have seen the reolink or similar camera's that work over cellular. But is that not adding ongoing costs...prefer not to do that if possible.

All help gratefully received, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

DriversEd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I haven't seen anything in here specific to what I am trying to do. I can buy a system, like the Hikvision for around my house. But I want o get a camera on the form road gate, which is about 70m away as the crow flies. But the driveway is a dogleg, making it about 150m to gate, with decent hedgerow and obstructions. So I am not confident of clear wifi signal to a camera up there. I have 240v power at the gate, and happy to use the wired camera's to a recorder in the house, then to the internet for streaming the feed, viewing recordings. But how can I be sure of a good connection wirelessly to the gate camera?
    Is there a repeater or something to go at the dogleg in the drive, which has line of sight to house and gate?

I have seen the reolink or similar camera's that work over cellular. But is that not adding ongoing costs...prefer not to do that if possible.

You would need something like these.
    If you have a dog leg with no line of site you can get additional repeaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

Wow, that is starting to look professional....and costly!

Wow, that is starting to look professional....and costly!

Unfortunately its not a cheap option.

No, but they do look like th right thing for me on this one. I would be happier to have spent, if it all works as expected. Thanks for the info Lad

No, but they do look like th right thing for me on this one. I would be happier to have spent, if it all works as expected. Thanks for the info Lad

No problem, always happy to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hi,

You have 240V power at the gate. Is that coming back to the house? If so you could try a powerline adapter and see if you can connect. Can you get up high to push a wifi signal to the gate and use two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link

Good suggestion's. and i think i can make that work, I have the height, which might be the option.

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Could you not use a ubiquiti link at the nearest place that has LOS and wire back to the gate where you have 230v. Place a poe switch in an enclosure with the power for the ubiquiti link.

I understand it may not be possible to do any wiring just asking is all as it could be another option.

To be fair Altor's suggestion would work for sure. It is expensive though.

great suggestions all, and very grateful for them Going to research them now, to see the most suitable. Cost is always important, but reliability and security is worth a bit of expenditure.

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've used 2 of these (one at each end) but a neighbour just uses one to send a WiFi signal to his calving box:
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe210/

If you pop two in to form a point to point, you could stick up a nice colorvu camera from hikvision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Can recommend a pair of these to do a point to point link. A pair with power adapters is only around 120 euro. They work great.

Advertisement