Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Running/Ignition on Oil Burner

• 01-07-2020 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a Riello 40 Oil Burner in the house we're leasing, was working fine up until about 4 weeks ago and then stopped (thankfully we had warm weather so didn't worry too much about it).

Have since tried to have a look and see if I could figure out what was going on. Oil burner itself looks fairly old/rusted, only in the house 3 months so not sure when it was last serviced.

I have bled it multiple times, no issue there, also loads of oil in the tank.

On advise cleaned the photocell and then it came to life for about 30 minutes, and died again.

The next morning I switched it on at the wall and it worked again for about 20-30 minutes before going out.

No light showing up on the burner to show that it is igniting or running.

Have left it with the landlord but with delays with Covid it'll be a few weeks and i'd rather sort it myself.

If anyone has any ideas what it could be, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

You may have a circulation pump that is not running ,had a similar issue a few weeks ago same symptoms so check the pump for running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlohaLights

You may have a circulation pump that is not running ,had a similar issue a few weeks ago same symptoms so check the pump for running

How would you check that may I ask? Would you need a professional to do the work?

Just blew the pump there for water and moved around the parts inside the circulation pump in the oil tank and no go.

I feel like it's an electrical issue- circuit possibly the fact it's working sprodically for 20 mins and then turning off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The circulation pump more than likely is in the boiler house, if the pump isn’t running the water temp will run too high causing cut out, circulation pumps can be prone to capacitor failure or seized bearings, if you can’t diagnose the problem obviously you will need professional help

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Check the high limit Stat as well, normally a grey or orange box with a dial on one side and a covered reset switch on the other

xn9P5HL7Eet6EnJz8coth-dual_847__1.jpg

• Advertisement

The circulation pump more than likely is in the boiler house, if the pump isn’t running the water temp will run too high causing cut out, circulation pumps can be prone to capacitor failure or seized bearings, if you can’t diagnose the problem obviously you will need professional help

Gave this a go didn't seem to do anything unfortunately

Scudges Da wrote: »
    Check the high limit Stat as well, normally a grey or orange box with a dial on one side and a covered reset switch on the other

xn9P5HL7Eet6EnJz8coth-dual_847__1.jpg

Thanks for this. Have tried this and no luck unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You are leasing the house , why are you worrying about it . Ring the landlord ask him to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are you confident enough to remove the grey control unit? If you are, remove the control unit and then slide the photocell off the circuit board. Put the control unit back on and try to start up. If it fires up and runs for a few seconds and then locks out lighting the lock out lamp the photocell is faulty. https://heatingpartsdirect.ie/products/riello-r40-burner-photocell-3002280-20132573 This should get you sorted.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are you confident enough to remove the grey control unit? If you are, remove the control unit and then slide the photocell off the circuit board. Put the control unit back on and try to start up. If it fires up and runs for a few seconds and then locks out lighting the lock out lamp the photocell is faulty. https://heatingpartsdirect.ie/products/riello-r40-burner-photocell-3002280-20132573 This should get you sorted.

Hi there, yeah gave this a go. No joy

• Advertisement

Can you explain exactly what’s happening from when you turn it on.

Can you explain exactly what’s happening from when you turn it on.

Hi yeah sure- there's pretty much nothing happening at all. There is no fans running, no oil running, no ignition etc. Even the light that generally is on the button on the inside of the oiltank that you press to ignite manually is not lighting up.

I removed the photocell a few weeks ago, as instructed and cleaned that off. I put this back in and the oil ran and worked for about 30 minutes before turning off again. This happened twice in total but has not happened for weeks now.

Basically the oil tank makes no noise/motor doesn't run.

Hi yeah sure- there's pretty much nothing happening at all. There is no fans running, no oil running, no ignition etc. Even the light that generally is on the button on the inside of the oiltank that you press to ignite manually is not lighting up.

I removed the photocell a few weeks ago, as instructed and cleaned that off. I put this back in and the oil ran and worked for about 30 minutes before turning off again. This happened twice in total but has not happened for weeks now.

Basically the oil tank makes no noise/motor doesn't run.

Is there power at the timer/ clock? Does it light up? Using a phase tester is there power at the burner control unit?

Is there power at the timer/ clock? Does it light up? Using a phase tester is there power at the burner control unit?

There is power at the timer and clock yes.

I don't personally have a phase tester to test power at the burner control unit but think this is probably where the issue is to be honest

There is power at the timer and clock yes.

I don't personally have a phase tester to test power at the burner control unit but think this is probably where the issue is to be honest

Where is the circulation pump? Is it beside the boiler, is it running?

Where is the circulation pump? Is it beside the boiler, is it running?

Yes it's running. I opened it up and drained water but it actually didn't stop flowing it kept coming gradually so I just soaked up as much as possible and then closed it up

Advertisement