Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been on a tacky holiday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ayia Napa when I was 20. Hated the place

Not really in my teens, but my twenties were tacky and brilliant.

My teens were in the Ireland of the 1980's when there wasn't a penny in the country and only the well heeled went on foreign holidays.

Got married in my early 20's and spent the best, happiest and most memorable years taking the kids off to Santa Ponsa for two weeks, and would love to do it all over again. Sure it could be considered tacky, nights in The Dubliner and stumbling home pissed drunk, my son (28 now) aften reminds me of how he'd be on my shoulders steering me by the ears back to the appartments, the kiddies clubs etc

All tacky as hell, but the memories are priceless.. Hopefully I'll do it all again when grandchildren come along :)

The last few years have been city breaks with my daughter, we've some lovely memories made doing that too.

I love how you talk about your kids, Mak. You sound like a great dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I was in Majorca once which is a lovely island and I hope to go back there. Found myself in a bar early one evening which was empty when I arrived for what I thought was going to be a nice quiet pint. By the time I was leisurely sipping through it, it began to get populated by what can only be described as a mix between yes very fat English slob types but also our best skanger version, think north east inner city. It was a small bar, full of 20 of one, about 15 of the other - and me.

The English had been there at least for a few days by the looks of their tans. Our lot had literally just landed off the flight. I found the rest of the holiday while I didn't exactly keep bumping into the same people, there just seemed to be the same types where I was staying.

Learned a good lesson that holiday. Don't just tick the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Candie wrote: »
    I love how you talk about your kids, Mak. You sound like a great dad.

Thanks Candie, thankfully we're all very close. My son has bought his own home and moved in with hid long term GF, I think they're together since their early teens so haven't holiday'd with him for awhile, I think the last one was NYC a few yrs ago.

My daughter is a great traveler, done her J1 in San Diego then took a month to drive across the US. Since coming home she's been in poor health but we've done a few city breaks and can't wait to go again, my fav city is probably London. The more I've went to London the more I find it doesn't have to be so expensive, so I'm hinting at her that we hit London when the virus is either gone or controlled.

Actually I never give it any thought, but while I'm typing here there are family holiday photos in frames all over the sitting room, some of the tackiest are some of my most treasured memories :)

Thank for your comment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, myself and a bunch of the boys from my year all went to the Canaries after the leaving cert.

Was great craic. The place we were staying was dreadful but we didn’t care. We’d be out at the pool after breakfast, then we’d have a few “lunchtime lifters” and then back to “horsing” around in the pool.

After that we’d get ready in the apartments for the night out, a few “tinnies” before dinner and off out to the strip. Rinse and repeat for two weeks. Proper sending it.

We’d meet up with the girls from the schools back home and get up to “all sorts”. There were a few Rock and Nure boys as well, we’d usually just end up slagging off the Gick lads with the guys from Rock.

The highlight was definitely when I managed to pick up a local girl, had an absolute mare trying to find my way back to the apartments after that one. And when I did I couldn’t get in so ended sleeping on a lilo until one of the lads let me in. All well worth it.

The low was when I “hooked up” with a northsider, she was a complete “howya”. Rode her on a roundabout in a children’s playground. I’m not proud of it but that was one top class tupping. It really is great when people from different “backgrounds” come together ;);)

Been on a couple of tours with the club since then but nothing comes close to the absolute bananas “carry on” we got up to there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, myself and a bunch of the boys from my year all went to the Canaries after the leaving cert.

Was great craic. The place we were staying was dreadful but we didn’t care. We’d be out at the pool after breakfast, then we’d have a few “lunchtime lifters” and then back to “horsing” around in the pool.

After that we’d get ready in the apartments for the night out, a few “tinnies” before dinner and off out to the strip. Rinse and repeat for two weeks. Proper sending it.

We’d meet up with the girls from the schools back home and get up to “all sorts”. There were a few Rock and Nure boys as well, we’d usually just end up slagging off the Gick lads with the guys from Rock.

The highlight was definitely when I managed to pick up a local girl, had an absolute mare trying to find my way back to the apartments after that one. And when I did I couldn’t get in so ended sleeping on a lilo until one of the lads let me in. All well worth it.

The low was when I “hooked up” with a northsider, she was a complete “howya”. Rode her on a roundabout in a children’s playground. I’m not proud of it but that was one top class tupping. It really is great when people from different “backgrounds” come together ;);)

Been on a couple of tours with the club since then but nothing comes close to the absolute bananas “carry on” we got up to there.

Are you sure you have enough "quotes" in that post? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Has Anus Von Bizmark posted in the thread yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Worked in aviation years ago and managed to get a few standby seats to Vegas for half nothing, 4 of us. We had to be in the airport at stupid o'clock but decided it would be a good idea to go out the night before, complete carnage and got split up, two of the lads woke up on the other side of the city and had no idea where he was, or how he got there. 2 hours to make the flight so expensive taxi trip back to his house to get bags and passport and then onto the airport and made checkin with seconds to spare, ran through the airport and CPB still hammered.

No time for food but the drinking kept going on the flight to JFK for a 4 hour layover, of course all in the bar. We passed out for the first half of the flight but get going again about 2 hours before landing. We got to the hotel and honestly I crashed at that point and passed out in the room. 2 of the other lads get a third wind and go on the tear, end up dropping a grand each in a strip club and that was most of their spending money for the trip. It goes on like this for a few days and by the time it's the last night we had to call a doctor for the 2 as they were in bits. He stuck them on an IV and made sure they good some decent food as all most of us had was drink and crisps.

In all honesty we could have been in Tramore for all we knew most of the time but none of us would change it at all. None of us ever want to go bck to Vegas, it's expensive and if you are not with the right people just a bit rubbish but that was a great few days.

Thanks Candie, thankfully we're all very close. My son has bought his own home and moved in with hid long term GF, I think they're together since their early teens so haven't holiday'd with him for awhile, I think the last one was NYC a few yrs ago.

My daughter is a great traveler, done her J1 in San Diego then took a month to drive across the US. Since coming home she's been in poor health but we've done a few city breaks and can't wait to go again, my fav city is probably London. The more I've went to London the more I find it doesn't have to be so expensive, so I'm hinting at her that we hit London when the virus is either gone or controlled.

Actually I never give it any thought, but while I'm typing here there are family holiday photos in frames all over the sitting room, some of the tackiest are some of my most treasured memories :)

Thank for your comment :)

I have always been close to my family too, and my best memories as a kid are of holidays with my parents, siblings and grandparents all together. My dad and I road-tripped the US about ten years ago, so your mention of your daughter brought me back to that. I absolutely treasure the memory of that trip, and I always will. My late mum would surprise me with weekends away too, loved those surprises. :)

I've a baba now and I hope his future memories of trips with his folks live up to mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes.
    Ibiza in the late 90's. Was big in to the music scene so went there specifically for that. Was absolutely wasted when I got home and had only been there a week. The experience of some of the clubs was pretty much exactly what I expected they would be. Manumission was literally a den of hedonism. Was a bit over powering to be honest.

What was definitely overpowering was that running water or toilet paper in the toilets in the clubs was virtually non-existent. And yet people continued to use them. I heard at the time that it was because people were drinking the tap/toilet water and so they turned it off but honestly what you were left with was every bit as bad as you might imagine it would be so I can't imagine why that was preferred. Still glad I had the Ibiza experience overall, and I still watch Kevin and Perry go Large if it is on as the music scenes remind me of that time.

Also went to Magaluf a few years later and that was a let down in terms of nightlife. Everywhere was just wall to wall groups of UK lads in uniform outing t-shirts shouting 'Oi Oi' incessantly.

Tmh you surprise me! I thought you would be roaming around rarely walked paths of European cities and maybe an adventure or two on an undiscovered island.
    Surprise me in a good way though :)

I've been to Lanzarote but I don't think the trip was tacky. It was a package holiday with two friends. We stayed in a fairly basic apartment complex. Those two were so damn cheap that anything high end was a no go. Our entertainment was more cheesy than tacky. We ended up going to a drag queen miming show. Or something. Basically it was a few men dressed as women standing on a stage "performing" to a mostly crowd of British people. Food came in baskets.

I'm not one for spending hours lying on a beach and I can't swim so I wouldn't go back. Nor would I now have any interest in going to the Canaries or Portugal or the likes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Poor man's Kilkee, sitting outside in a pair of club tropicana shorts and a load of tinnees on the slab, sovereign rings and a nyke baseball hat, wife white vest, simply the best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Santa Ponsa , Ibiza , Salou,

Santa Ponsa and Ibiza loved those trips,

Salou I thought was a pure dump, constantly hassled by the reps down the town at all times during the day,

Good memories tho

Staycation this year around the west coast really looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ush1 wrote: »
    Benal is great.

Couple of my mates own apartments there and we go over a few times a year. Does what it says on the tin. Cheap and good weather. When I was younger the 24 hour square used to be mental.

It's way quieter though in the last number of years, even during the summer.
    Id say a lot of places have been damaged by all inclusive hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Would you recommend Bulgaria overall? Like if you avoided the obvious kips.

Funny, I was just talking about Bulgaria the other day - as the second-worst holiday I've ever been on. We were staying at Sunny Beach - what a misnomer. Russian Mafia patrolling the strip along the beach, sour, dour people serving awful food. No manners, totally unfriendly and the accommodation we stayed in was a kip. Travel agency sent me a voucher for 2 free weeks accommodation when I got back. Needless to say, I never used it. Even if they'd thrown in flights, I'd never go back. I absolutely shudder thinking about it and that was around 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I never went on one of those benidorm style lads holidays when I was younger.

Just not my thing.

Not judging it in any way though as I still go on a lot of football away trips to Europe which would essentially just be watching football and drinking.

I do go to Spain quite often with my family so I do understand the pleasure of a sun holiday where you do very little but eat, drink beer and relax but t'd be more of a traditional village/playa that we go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

All these islands - Balearics, Canaries, Greece etc. are relatively small but they are pretty much all big enough at the same time to have whatever holiday you want.

I would have been a bit snobby about them until I woke up to what is on offer in Lanzarote. Crazy geography and history that many never see at all. Great surfing on the west side, and Club La Santa is the diametric opposite of boozing poolside all day.

When in Crete I saw a few heritage sites and ate fantastic meals. I passed through some of the notorious places by bus but they had no impact on my holiday whatsoever.

I was a teenage father so I kinda got left behind with this stuff Audrey from two long weekends. One in Glasgow and one in Latvia. Best part was watching a matte beg a hooker for 15 minutes cause that's all he could afford.

Both were fantastic but I generally don't handle booze very well so I have to keep an eye on myself in those situations lest I become part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Everytime I hear the words Benidorm i just think of loud fat OAP English people. That ****e comedy sitcom prob painted me that picture.

Was in Hambrug last February and staying near the Reeperbahn. **** me it was tacky and sleazy at the same time. Prossies trying to get business off ya, lads forcing ya to go into this club. It was a good holiday but very different. I'd love to see how the Dam is

Were tacky enough here with the Americans both North and south failing for it. Irish night's with Irish dancing food and the likes

Amsterdam isn't tacky at all. I lived there for years. Yes there is the RLD which is tacky but that's only a tiny part of the city. It's nothing like Magaluf or Ibiza. You have great bars and cafes and restaurants and lovely squares to sit and watch the world go by. Rent a bike and explore. I would avoid the usual stuff like Anne Frank house etc., it's not really worth it unless you go for longer than a weekend. The queues are nuts even on a weekday. Live sex shows are boring too but you might as well check one out. It's only about an hour and includes a few drinks in the entrance fee. It's a bit of a laugh.

There are lots of parks and nice outdoor places to chill out, eat, drink, watch a free concert.

I kinda wish I went on one of those sleazy package holidays to Magaluf when I was younger...just for the debauchery for a week or two. I'm a bit long in the tooth for that now. I would stay well away from those hard spirits cocktails that are 2 a penny, I can drink plenty of beer and be fine but spirits would flatten me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yup. Went to Ibiza with the lads 1st year in college. One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen is my buddy bartering with a prostitute for 30 minutes before she finally agreed to give him a handjob for 4 quid.

The kind of multi-generation, ingrained poverty that make young women consider a hand-job for €4 is actually hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... Live sex shows are boring ...

So now I'm obliged to ask the natural follow-up question: What is interesting? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

buried wrote: »
    Few years ago I went with a gang to Benidorm. Lets just say if you want to get into a twisted, desperate psychotic mindset where you literally want to annihilate sections of your own fellow species, annihilate them without any semblance of guilt or shame, go to that f**king kip.
    Especially on the Twelfth and watch the Orange march end up in the Rangers pub. I never saw so many fat sunburnt bleached Belfast/Glasgow ***** squeezed into Union Jack dresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No and I thankfully too old now anyway to go on a tacky holiday not that am going on one anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does Disney Land/World count as tacky?

Been to Paris three times (I think?) and Orlando once.

Orlando is great for adults if you go during the food and wine festival.

https://www.disneyworld.co.uk/events-tours/epcot/epcot-international-food-and-wine-festival/

Went to Magaluf with my mates in 2000, as most of them had just done their Leaving. 17 years old, out til sunrise, power through, nap during the high heat. Do it again. Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Benidorm about 5 years ago. There were plenty of positives, the old town is quite nice, it has a beautiful beach and the sea is lovely. There's also some nice day trips to places like Altea.

But my goodness is it rough, full of tacky shops and very rough English bars. Lots of really rough middle aged Brits and Germans covered in tattoos and visitors from the north who hang flags from their balconies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Went on a cruise to the Bahamas once. Not my cup of tea, wouldn't be keen to do a cruise again, except maybe to Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

When I broke up with my absolute hellbeast of an ex-wife, I arranged a holiday from me and the lads on the Costa Del Sol. The usual type of thing - drinking the neck off yourself, few rounds of golf, the fry and a few pints for the breakfast in some Irish pub ran by a criminal. Plenty of the old nosebag as well to keep the party going.

Anyway, I pulled a Welsh divorcee who was about 10 years young than me on the 3rd night of the holiday. I had the flute nearly worn off me by the end of the holiday. Didn't play much golf, but plenty of holes in one if you catch my drift.

Absolutely top class 10 days. The best way to get over a break-up is to get back in the saddle good and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Benidorm about 5 years ago. There were plenty of positives, the old town is quite nice, it has a beautiful beach and the sea is lovely. There's also some nice day trips to places like Altea.

But my goodness is it rough, full of tacky shops and very rough English bars. Lots of really rough middle aged Brits and Germans covered in tattoos and visitors from the north who hang flags from their balconies.

I never understood the whole flags on the balcony thing.

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »
    I never understood the whole flags on the balcony thing.

How else will you get some privacy on the balcony with a gamey Welsh divorcee?

I’m so naive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

When I broke up with my absolute hellbeast of an ex-wife, I arranged a holiday from me and the lads on the Costa Del Sol. The usual type of thing - drinking the neck off yourself, few rounds of golf, the fry and a few pints for the breakfast in some Irish pub ran by a criminal. Plenty of the old nosebag as well to keep the party going.

Anyway, I pulled a Welsh divorcee who was about 10 years young than me on the 3rd night of the holiday. I had the flute nearly worn off me by the end of the holiday. Didn't play much golf, but plenty of holes in one if you catch my drift.

Absolutely top class 10 days. The best way to get over a break-up is to get back in the saddle good and quick.

Wouldn’t have had you down as a druggie, JF. Disappointing to learn that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Chumbawumba comes to mind, with this thread. Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

That same person has bragged about visiting prostitutes many times as well. With the help of chemical assistance there too, no doubt.

Ara, I wouldn't be a regular user. Don't really rate it myself, but it is useful if you're about to tackle your 8th pint of cheap Spanish lager and it isn't even 7PM.

The thing with the sniff-sniff is you need to be careful with how much you consume, or you'll end up with a case of 'coke cock'. Some bird mad for a bit of mickey, and not a fúcking budge from your lad. Like a very bad case of brewer's droop.

Heard it's bad for the ticker as well, and I've a cholesterol score of over 9, so I'll give it a miss till I get it down a bit.

Now this is a fella who no doubt has experience of pulling a gamey bird in her 40's for a night of drink and drug-fuelled riding. Didn't take our game onto the balcony I must say. Next time...

I feckin hate craw thumpers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    That same person has bragged about visiting prostitutes many times as well. With the help of chemical assistance there too, no doubt.

Fairly sure it is Pintman with the penchant for prossies? :)

But accept that I could easily be wrong on the various vices of these boyo’s.

Fairly sure it is Pintman with the penchant for prossies? :)
    I always get that guy mixed up.

An absolutely scurrilous accusation, and completely untrue. I've never engaged the services of a prostitute.

I'd kindly ask you to withdraw or delete that post. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

How else are you going to get through a round of golf without the cocaine tho

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

An absolutely scurrilous accusation, and completely untrue. I've never engaged the services of a prostitute.

I'd kindly ask you to withdraw or delete that post. :mad:
    I withdraw my remark, and apologise.

I can't say I'm very impressed with how you talk about your ex-wife, though. As a man who respects women, it makes me wonder: how would your children feel about this?

I can't say I'm very impressed with how you talk about your ex-wife, though. As a man who respects women, it makes me wonder: how would your children feel about this?

Do you have a blanket respect for women regardless of their individual actions?

You don't know my ex-wife, pal. Think of a cross between Stalin and Mama Cass.

Feisar wrote: »
    Do you have a blanket respect for women regardless of their individual actions?
    What a stupid question. Don't waste my time with these leading, desperate attempts into luring me into a trap.

What a stupid question. Don't waste my time with these leading, desperate attempts into luring me into a trap.

Only thing desperate was your desperately stupid comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Went to Laganas the summer after first year college. The only holiday I had ever been on before was when a wealthy aunt took me to Orlando 10 years previous. I hadn't a notion what to expect of a sun holiday.

It was awful and I learned that package holidays are not for me. I hate the sun and I hate nightclubs. The island did have some redeeming qualities though in fairness, not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just the once, with a few mates from my childhood days to Santa Ponza in the Summer of 1994, just after I finished my first year of college.

Booze galore, girls galore (wasn't out at that time) getting up at about 2pm and nursing hangovers on the beach. Cheap apart hotel but still managed to get a warning from management over the partying and shenanigans. Jet skiing in the sea.

Was a week of youthful craziness.

But even back than at the tender age of 19 I could see the place was a complete kip full of lager louts. One of my mates ended up in a fight after a nightclub and off to A&E. Thank God it was pre-internet, pre social media. :D

And that was my tacky holiday!

Now this is a fella who no doubt has experience of pulling a gamey bird in her 40's for a night of drink and drug-fuelled riding.

The words Sachs and Hotel will suffice for triggering welcome - or unwelcome - memories for any young man based in Dublin in the 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Benidorm

oh but don't you just love it, Luvie (said in a northern english accent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

lads holidays in different parts of spain, great holidays with your mates. who cares if the places are tacky, as long as you are with good friends you will have a good time anywhere. 1 week in a place like that and you will be talking about it for years, its amazing all that can happen in 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Playa Del Ingles 1998 bunch of 6 of us went, all girls, for two weeks, and it seemed like half of Dublin was there too. Total kip and dirt cheap but we didn't care. Hawaiian Tasca bar, ah it was a great time!

Went to Crete, Marbs and Albuferia with mates in our 20s but never hit the dizzy heights of Gran Canaria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement