Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Queries - Gas Cooker and Solid Fuel Fire

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi Everyone,
    My husband and I are looking at a new build detached house in a pretty big development and there are a couple of things we are struggling to find information on. I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

First thing is a bit of a deal breaker - I really want a dual fuel range cooker. The housing development isnt plumbed for gas. Is it possible for us to use gas bottles? The estate agent says there is no regulations in the development to say we cant but I was wondering if there was anything in the ever changing building regulations?

Secondly, the first phase of the development were built with solid fuel stoves and fireplaces but this phase is only electric fires. Again I am assuming the new regulations put paid to the solid fuel. There is no chimney. My question is if we wanted to retrofit a small wood burning stove at some point, would that be possible? This is less of a dealbreaker than gas cooking but something we would really like to do.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sounds like there may be a management company involved which may mean such changes are a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If there is no natural gas piped into the estate would LPG in a tank be a possibility? Something like this
    https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/bottled-gas-and-bulk-gas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Should be no issues using gas tanks, though I'd advise using propane not butane as butane tanks do not work well in low temperatures; and using the largest tanks you practically can to reduce the number of changes.

Retrofitting a chimney would be completely impractical and would probably require planning permission. I don't think new houses can have any form of solid fuel heating anymore; its gas or electric only, but not sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

L1011 wrote: »
    Should be no issues using gas tanks, though I'd advise using propane not butane as butane tanks do not work well in low temperatures; and using the largest tanks you practically can to reduce the number of changes.

Retrofitting a chimney would be completely impractical and would probably require planning permission. I don't think new houses can have any form of solid fuel heating anymore; its gas or electric only, but not sure on that.

Thanks so much, that’s really helpful regarding propane.
    For the solid fuel, we were thinking about a stove with a flue going out the side wall or something similar. It might be crazy but I suppose we were just wondering what is possible. Maybe we will have to settle for electric. It’s not the same though is it?!

Advertisement