Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel a payment coming out of a debit card?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I had a similar problem with an online subscription,
    I rang my bank and told them I’d lost my card, they cancelled the card and issued a new one, this solved my problem, as the card was listed as lost/stolen No further debits were processed, I had to reset some other accounts with the new card but that was all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I used to work in card services for An Irish Bank. It 100% does.

From AIBs website.
    "The new card will have a new number, for safety reasons. That means that if you have set up your card to make regular payments to companies like Spotify and tolls, you will need to change the card number with these companies."

It 100% doesn't. It's known as a Continuous Payment Authority, has been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It 100% doesn't. It's known as a Continuous Payment Authority, has been around for years.

Can you tell me why there is no shutoff if the customer asks for it though. They did not sign up to the continuous payment authority the seller did.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

there are some vendors who skirt around CPA rules; one of them (who has since gone out of business) put ads on FB offering premium shaving products, they would send you razors and blades every month and charge your credit card, they had no address and no phone number,only a website and email address, they claimed that you could cancel anytime but did not say exactly how,
    I thought what could possibly go wrong?!!

If I had signed up to this and later changed my mind would my bank/Credit Card company be on my side?
    Or the vendors?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It 100% does. Its the persons money and if they advise sky not to take any more then they have no right. The person hasn't signed a contract with sky.
    I've stopped visa debit payments twice now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Triangle wrote: »
    It 100% does. Its the persons money and if they advise sky not to take any more then they have no right. The person hasn't signed a contract with sky.
    I've stopped visa debit payments twice now by telling the bank not to process them.

You are quoting a post about changing card number and assuming it'll stop payments. Which it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

L1011 wrote: »
    You are quoting a post about changing card number and assuming it'll stop payments. Which it doesn't.

Yeah, but the it does/doesn't started with a poster say you can't stop a card payment. I was just getting in saying it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Triangle wrote: »
    Yeah, but the it does/doesn't started with a poster say you can't stop a card payment. I was just getting in saying it can.

No, it started with someone claiming (post 21) that cancelling the card would fix it.

Advertisement