Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Guide to Indexing Gears: anyone else find it very tricky?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Tony04 wrote: »
    Technically only the rollers need lubrication

Agreed. Rollers and pins are the main rotating load bearing surfaces. The rollers are stationary relative to the teeth on the cassette and chainrings.
    Tony04 wrote: »
    So after lubing wipe the excess off the side plates with a rag is something I do all the time this also leaves a very light layer of lubricant on to prevent against rust.

Also a good idea - prevents all that surface rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Slightly off topics...

But would any of you just leave the cables behind and go electronic gears?
    -no cables
    -no internal routing
    -no adjustment barrelling

if it was a bit cheaper, I would defo be tempted to go electronic...

Saying that... on the occassional days when I manage to index my gears really well...it is a nice experience to ride a smooth shifting racebike!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No. I like the simplicity of cables. I do have a bike with electronic gears. Electronic gears are brilliant, but for me they are an extravagant luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Yea, I know what you mean... well... if you ever get bored of your extravagant luxury... you can send them to me!!

I've only rode a bike with Di2 twice and both were my uncles "extravagant luxuries" He's retired and enjoys spending his time and money on bikes.

The gears were nice, very nice even but the quality of bike compared to mine stood out more than the gearing. To me they were like going from our Skoda to a Ferrari

There is also a certain pleasure to the click and motion of mechanical shifting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is also a certain pleasure to the click and motion of mechanical shifting imo.
    This. I like the idea of a mechanical system that works efficiently and effectively. Especially one that I've fitted myself.

That said, I'd also like to fit an electronic system when funds allow. SRAM etap would be my system of choice - no cables. All or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ...WA. One drop every 3 roller? Yeah that's a bit lean alright. What lube u using?
    Muc Off Wet or Dry depending on conditions.

I dunno - even with lubing every 3 link and wiping off, I still find excessive oil on my chain which I hate. Next time I'm back in the US, I'm going to fill my luggage with White Lightning Clean Ride - best lube I've ever used as the chain is lubricated but always looks clean.

EDIT! Doh! Didn't realise thar CRC have it! https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/white-lightning-clean-ride-lubricant-240ml-bottle/rp-prod172551?gs=1&sku=sku652745&istCompanyId=0f15660a-f13e-4c09-a701-b55d8c3f2e59&istFeedId=21ccdaa5-24f7-4b32-9ec6-ac7081b9b50b&istItemId=iwxrrwmxr&istBid=t&pgrid=55940684341&ptaid=pla-546839859597&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA%2BAll%2BProducts&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsAVAd0NPC_dc%7Cpcrid%7C294740729966%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C652745IE&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM1h0OCxB6R7kL2x1hYzGl49RgYwVjBhrpV3WX2ufimE1Gt-kE2AQwRoCntgQAvD_BwE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently had a brain fade where i was starting to get a little bit of chat while pedalling, so i tweaked the adjustment and it got slightly worse. it was quite irritating, and as i adjusted again it got worse - but needless to say i was adjusting in the wrong direction, and i was thinking my mistake was that i'd not adjusted enough, rather than slackening the cable rather than tightening it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Arequipa wrote: »
    ...if it was a bit cheaper, I would defo be tempted to go electronic...

Saying that... on the occasional days when I manage to index my gears really well...it is a nice experience to ride a smooth shifting racebike!

Nicely adjusted mechanical gears are a joy to behold (especially if you've done it yourself), but if it was a bit less of a price-jump, all my bikes would have electronic gears - perfect shifting every time (and you can set it up yourself on a laptop), and no big lever-throw to shift to the big ring. Add in syncro-shift and it's a no-brainer (but the extra cost is fairly stiff).

Advertisement