Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about whether button based switch blade knife is legal in Ireland

• 02-07-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was hoping to purchasing button based switch blade knife like the one shown in this timestamped video here: https://youtu.be/v7jhbz_Jwos?t=116

However I'm not sure whether this kind of knife is legal in Ireland? I've seen videos on Youtube of people from the US using them for various things like opening cardboard boxes etc.

Any helpful info on the legality of these knifes would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

You planning on opening many cardboard boxes with it?

Of course they’re illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it is listed as an offensive weapon. in legislation. You can only carry a knife around with you if you have good reason as in you are a carpenter, chef. going fishing. I assume like in the uk you are allowed a switchblade if you are one handed and need it to open letters!

How badly do you want a switchblade?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭chris20

I work in customs and can say they are illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

sheesh wrote: »
    it is listed as an offensive weapon. in legislation. You can only carry a knife around with you if you have good reason as in you are a carpenter, chef. going fishing. I assume like in the uk you are allowed a switchblade if you are one handed and need it to open letters!

How badly do you want a switchblade?:D

Not very badly. I was just curious is all.

I use an exacto knife to open boxes and other things. They are very handy but I wish there was a version that had a button which made the blade pop in and out like the one shown in the video. I just wanted one for home use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They're not illegal.

BUT

They ARE illegal, as i've been correctly reminded off below. So there is feck all point discussing the legalities of having one in your possession.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

chris20 wrote: »
    I work in customs and can say they are illegal

If customs found one in a parcel destined for an address in Ireland would it be seized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭chris20

J.R. wrote: »
    If customs found one in a parcel destined for an address in Ireland would it be seized?

If we found on like that one it would be seized yes

Under what law and for what reason?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Cass wrote: »
    Under what law and for what reason?

SI 66/1991. Section 12 of the firearms and offensive weapons act 1990

Thanks for that.

I remember something about Katanas being banned but I couldn't find the legislation and with 65 SIs i cannot remember them all.

I'll have to amend my post above about them not being illegal so.

The funny part is while i was searching to see if i was wrong, because something in my head said i was i found a few posts as far back as 7 years ago, and this post, thanked by you, which says the exact same thing. :o:rolleyes:

I think i getting some-timers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Cass wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I remember something about Katanas being banned but I couldn't find the legislation and with 65 SIs i cannot remember them all.

I'll have to amend my post above about them not being illegal so.

The funny part is while i was searching to see if i was wrong, because something in my head said i was i found a few posts as far back as 7 years ago, and this post, thanked by you, which says the exact same thing. :o:rolleyes:

I think i getting some-timers. :D

So many statutory instruments they're impossible to keep track of.

After reading the SI I think anyone who had any of these weapons before 1991 may still retain them as the only the sale, manufacture, importation and loan of these items are prohibitive.

Would be interested to hear other interpretations of this?

Advertisement