Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel formula

Options
  • 02-07-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this is where this question belongs!

i have a column in excel consisting of the following:

Loser Like Me - Glee
    Lost Without You - Freya Ridings
    Love Crime - Siouxsie Sioux & Brian Reitzell
    Love Don't Cost A Thing - Jennifer Lopez

is there a formula i can use that will move everything after the '-' to the next column, and also delete the '-' from both columns (should it get copied over to the 2nd column)?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

I think it is called Text to columns. It is a function in excel. It is some time since I have used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

mr_cochise wrote: »
    I think it is called Text to columns. It is a function in excel. It is some time since I have used it.

thats exactly it, and pretty seamless (few little issues).

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Is this just a once off or do you need to use a formula to do it for some reason?

If it's a once off the easiest way would be: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/split-text-into-different-columns-with-the-convert-text-to-columns-wizard-30b14928-5550-41f5-97ca-7a3e9c363ed7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Highlight entire column

Data -> Text to Columns

Pick "Delimited"

Click the following delimiters

o Tab

o Other

In the box beside Other... type in a dash

Next

Finish

That's it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

If there is only one - in each cell you can do this with the Text to Columns feature, found on the the data tab.

Select the column that you want to split.
    Then go to the data tab and select Text to Columns.

ETFqQNH.png?1

Then select deliniated text, and select next.

OixZRNU.png

On that screen you should see options like spaces, tabs, commas and an other box. Put a - in the other box

34FUop0.png

You can then select finish and should hopefully have split everything at the dash.

ZWhUd1C.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

all as above...
    note1: if there is second dash(or whatever delimiter specified) in the same cell, it will break into more columns
    note2: spaces either side of delimiter are not removed (further editing needed)

Advertisement