Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Wheel for Kids Bike?

Options
  • 02-07-2020 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

The rear wheel on one of my kids' bikes got damaged and I eventually managed to get a replacement. Managed to change the tire, tube etc. eventually but can't figure out how to transfer the sprocket from the old wheel to the new one. See attached for photo of the sprocket and wheel. Looks like the sprocket and wheel are a single unit here? Or is there a way to swap the sprocket to the new wheel?

Thanks in advance,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

There's a lockring holding the single speed ring in place. It's opened using a tool that slots into the two holes in the face of it.

They can be bought relatively cheap, or if you're in Kildare, I can give you a loan of one

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

cletus wrote: »
    There's a lockring holding the single speed ring in place. It's opened using a tool that slots into the two holes in the face of it.

They can be bought relatively cheap, or if you're in Kildare, I can give you a loan of one
    I'm not in Kildare unfortunately... What's the tool called? Or do you have a weblink for one?

Thanks for your help!
    super_freddie.

They are called pin spanners, but there's a couple different sizes. Would you take a picture straight on of the hub, and a picture of the hub on the new wheel too, just so I'm not giving you wrong info

They are called pin spanners, but there's a couple different sizes. Would you take a picture straight on of the hub, and a picture of the hub on the new wheel too, just so I'm not giving you wrong info

Thanks for that cletus. I've attached the information you requested (hopefully). Look forward to seeing your thoughts.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Have you a picture of the other side? I hope it's not another front wheel you've bought.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Have you a picture of the other side? I hope it's not another front wheel you've bought.

It's definitely a rear wheel, I was careful to ensure that when ordering and double-checked the order again just now. See photo attached from the side, it seems to have the required threads alright...

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah it is indeed I thought that was going to be a whoops moment. :)

I think the last time I removed one of those fee hubs I sat the edge of a screw driver in on of those little holes and tapped it off. It goes in a counter clockwise direction and as it's a kids bike they probably haven't put much force through it so may not be very tight on there.

They free hub is about €20 online but you can get a tool and they've adjustable ones just watch the diameter of the holes https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMF-40485-Adjustable-Wrench-Black/dp/B002UUL7NC/ref=pd_sbs_200_5/258-6591437-2758044?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002UUL7NC&pd_rd_r=fd8b00f3-b16c-49e9-89cd-4e1ac717ae53&pd_rd_w=GjqNV&pd_rd_wg=QMjhA&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=3B6QV7VR545E7JHJ8FH9&psc=1&refRID=3B6QV7VR545E7JHJ8FH9

Went out for a run, and I cone back to find Iwillhtfu has eaten my lunch :D

If you can't get the pin spanners, you might be able to tap it around like Iwill says, a drift pin or similar vwouod work even better than a screwdriver. At a pinch you might even make a pair of needle nose pliers work.

If your really stuck, pm me, I'll send on the tool I have here. I made it myself, so there's no loss, I can make another one

Thanks @cletus and @iwillhtfu. That's my weekend sorted :-) I'll post back here with an update on how it went. Presume local bike shop would have the tool also and would do it for me also if I didn't mind throwing them a few quid?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

As an aside, did you drive over the wheel?

• Advertisement

As an aside, did you drive over the wheel?

It was driven over yes, but not by me :) The rest of the bike is thankfully intact...

Advertisement