Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fit skirting boards

• 03-07-2020 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Getting tiles replaced in hallway and want to put on new skirting boards myself afterwards as the tiler reckons some will prob break coming off

Skirting is 150mm high though and i cant seem to find a mitre box that does skirting this tall -

any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think Stanley do a few large ones in their FatMax range. See if that suits.
    Just google Stanley FatMax Mitre Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A mitre saw or if you are good at sawing by hand it can be done that way aswell. Iv done them by hand a few times but this time iv got a mitre saw. Quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

thanks . this is just for my own home though so would a mitre saw be a waste of money considering i would be doing it very rarely ?

alta stare wrote: »
    A mitre saw or if you are good at sawing by hand it can be done that way aswell. Iv done them by hand a few times but this time iv got a mitre saw. Quick and easy.

Could you recommend a cheap mitre saw that would cut 150mm boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

thanks . this is just for my own home though so would a mitre saw be a waste of money considering i would be doing it very rarely ?

Probably. Unless you do a few bits of diy then maybe you would use it more often.

As i said it can be done by hand. You just need to be accurate with your markings and steady with your hand so you get a nice clean join although to be fair a bit of caulk helps if it isnt 100%.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    Probably. Unless you do a few bits of diy then maybe you would use it more often.

As i said it can be done by hand. You just need to be accurate with your markings and steady with your hand so you get a nice clean join although to be fair a bit of caulk helps if it isnt 100%.

Yeah i wouldnt cut it by hand, i would like something to guide me with the angles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buying a mitre saw for one skirting job seems like madness. Could you not just make a simple mitre box?

Like this, but taller:

7454V_P&$prodImageMedium$

if i was able to make a mitre box then i would not be looking to buy one :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Try this:

The point of this video is that its pretty unlikely that your walls, and floor are all perfectly perpendicular, so even if you cut a 6" board to a perfect 45 degs you'll still likely be left with a gap.

BTW I would cut the boards on the horizontal face rather than the vertical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

if i was able to make a mitre box then i would not be looking to buy one :-)

So buy a wooden one and get a couple suitable size scraps of timber then cut them at 45 degrees. Next screw and glue those pieces onto the sides of your mitre box to raise the height of the sides. Now you have a custom made high sided mitre box.

Edit: If you have Amazon Prime here is a cheap Mitre box to modify.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Woodies sell mitre boxes if you can't wait for amazon delivery.

https://www.woodies.ie/artex-universal-mitre-box-604946

They are almost the size you need.

Advertisement