Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Food, Drink and Eatery Thread

Options
  • 03-07-2020 9:27am

I don't think I have seen a Wicklow Food and Drink thread so I'm going to start one. :)

Feel free to join in me in discussing:

- New openings such as Restaurants/Pub food/Food Trucks/Cafe/Food markets etc
    - Closing down of eateries
    - Reviews or recommendations of food and places you have been to
    - Requests for recommendations or where to visit

I'll start on the next post!

Comments

New openings:

1) The Fat Fox in Greystones - These guys already do excellent drive through coffee in Delgany and leased a place in Greystones just before lockdown. They are hoping to open up soon.
    2) Glovers Cafe in Bray. Brave people who opened during the pandemic. Lovely looking premises where some run down shops used to be.
    3) Wing It, on the beach in Bray - As the same suggests, wings and more.
    4) Tres Amigos in Bray - Mexican on the main street.
    5) Wicklow Coffee Festival - To be announced but ran by the same people who own Glovers Cafe in Bray.

Closing down:

1) The Three Q's in Greystones . Closing after 15 years. I will be sad to see this go, have had a few family dinners in it.
    2) Double 8 in Bray - This great dumpling place probably was too small a venue post covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shame about Double 8, some great dumplings but as you say probably too small for the "new normal". The bizarre opening times didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Two New openings of which I’m aware in Wicklow town.

The Grey Dog pizza place beside The Brass Fox pub, the Murrough.

The Sparrow’s Nest on the market square opens tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The excellent 'coffee for you' in Arklow on the corner at the end of the old ship Lane on the riverbank,a 1 min walk off the main st is fully open
    They were doing their food menu to take away for the past few weeks and now have 3 tables inside and 2 outside
    Highly recommend! Best sandwich/wrap/bakery/home made soup and breakfast in town
    They brew their own coffee sourcing and grinding their own beans

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mickey Finns Redcross, Wicklow Brewery back open for bookings and collections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sonnys - new burger place in Greystones, opening soon
    Gino's Gelato - ice cream shop opening in Greystones where the Kilkenny Shop was; they have a branch in Bray already. Ice cream must be the new coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭recyclops

devestated about double 8, hopefully get to open up somewhere else in the town they were delish

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The excellent 'coffee for you' in Arklow on the corner at the end of the old ship Lane on the riverbank,a 1 min walk off the main st is fully open
    They were doing their food menu to take away for the past few weeks and now have 3 tables inside and 2 outside
    Highly recommend! Best sandwich/wrap/bakery/home made soup and breakfast in town
    They brew their own coffee sourcing and grinding their own beans

I must admit Arklow is a place I don't venture to very often so I have added to this place to the immediate list.

loyatemu wrote: »

Sonnys opened last night - https://www.greystonesguide.ie/keep-on-the-sonnys-side/

They seem to have a huge amount of staff so must expecting to be busy!

Another new opening is a cafe called "Little Brew Cafe in Dunlavin ". Housed in a cute white and yellow terrace on the main street they serve PS Coffee Roasters and some great cakes. Seating outside available.

Both times I visited it was packed and brought a lot of life to the main street which was badly needed.

• Advertisement

Another new venture doing a little pre opening publicity, on Facebook, in Wicklow town currently.
    Blue is to be a seafood restaurant on the harbour. It’s taking over the space which was formerly known as The Lighthouse. Not sure when but looks like renovations are underway.

Andrew Holmes catering who do weddings for plaes like trudder lodge and own kitchen 28 in Kilcoole have taken over the food in the Mountkennedy Inn, completely new menu that looks very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Gino's Gelato - ice cream shop opening in Greystones where the Kilkenny Shop was; they have a branch in Bray already. Ice cream must be the new coffee.

Ice cream shop? seriously, like it needs another.

Cluster wrote: »
    Ice cream shop? seriously, like it needs another.

I know, and we don't even have a single Donut shop.

Baybay wrote: »
    Another new venture doing a little pre opening publicity, on Facebook, in Wicklow town currently.
    Blue is to be a seafood restaurant on the harbour. It’s taking over the space which was formerly known as The Lighthouse. Not sure when but looks like renovations are underway.

Blue had a couple of mentions in the papers. New co-owners seemed to have come from Marlfield House in Gorey.

https://www.businesspost.ie/food/a-beacon-of-masterfully-prepared-fish-and-flavours-e9094494

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/a-new-terrace-in-the-sky-for-drinks-and-dinner-1.4315937

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Broken chair in arklow does lovely food and cakes. A town I think should have so much going for it when I pass through , but has its issues. That said, broken chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kian163 wrote: »
    Blue had a couple of mentions in the papers. New co-owners seemed to have come from Marlfield House in Gorey.

Unrelated to Blue Bar down the harbour in Skerries? Always liked the food in that place

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Gorgeous new cafe on the Lower Main Street in Arklow called LoCo Grocer which opened a few weeks ago.

Delicious 3fe coffee, really interesting breakfast and lunch items - more D8 than SoCoWW and the response so far has been extremely positive.

They also sell White Mausu, Goatsbridge, Highbank Orchard, Nutshed & loads of other great Irish products in the cafe also.

recyclops wrote: »
    devestated about double 8, hopefully get to open up somewhere else in the town they were delish

Double 8 have re-opened but unfortunately not in Bray. Camden St, Dublin is the lucky new location.

Opera has opened in Wicklow town, beside Earls. Bakery, brunch, coffee etc. to take out.

• Advertisement

kian163 wrote: »
    Double 8 have re-opened but unfortunately not in Bray. Camden St, Dublin is the lucky new location.

yeah i saw that and they were also in the brochure for the new florentine centre so hopefully they return

new middle eastern café and takeaway opened beside Lidl in Greystones
    https://zaharacafe.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

new middle eastern cafnd takeaway opened beside Lidl in Greystones

We tried them last weekend, very tasty and offering something a bit different in the area.

thats my treat for this weekend, eyed it up the other week

Oh yes!

got a takeaway from them over the weekend - food really good and portion sizes are big. Ridiculous amount of plastic containers was the only downside.

got it myself the weekend, we got a starter, a kebab and a grilled chicken main to share, 23 quid after the discount and more than enough for the two of us.

it was delicious

got a takeaway from them over the weekend - food really good and portion sizes are big. Ridiculous amount of plastic containers was the only downside.

where does it stand next to Zaytoons?

Cluster wrote: »
    where does it stand next to Zaytoons?

I haven't had Zaytoon's in over 10 years and never sober ;)

• Advertisement

I haven't had Zaytoon's in over 10 years and never sober ;)

Has anyone???? the only local comparison i would have is Kebab Palace and in comparison to them its not as packed full of meat which in my opinion isnt a bad thing as i find them over stuffed.

the veg was fresh and I wasnt hungry after it

Advertisement