Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter removing "master", "slave", and "blacklist" to be more inclusi

Options
  • 03-07-2020 11:49am

Twitter engineers replacing racially loaded tech terms like 'master,' 'slave'

No.. Not from their site's content or tweets.. From its codebase.

Since when does a programming language need to be more inclusive? Last year apparently. Some worthless cúnt who works there took issue with it and decided to save the world from racism and slavery.

But more importantly, how on Earth are "master" or "slave" racially loaded terms when there are more slaves now than ever before, and they're not all black, and the majority of slaves are owned by people of their own race? Why is America trying to force this idea on us that only black people have ever been slaves and only white people have ever been slave owners?

If they cared about black slavery, they should campaign for black people to stop selling black people to black people in Africa. But I guess it's easier to spend a few mill changing a programming language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Since when does a programming language need to be more inclusive? Last year apparently. Some worthless cúnt who works there took issue with it and decided to save the world from racism and slavery.

But more importantly, how on Earth are "master" or "slave" racially loaded terms when there are more slaves now than ever before, and they're not all black, and the majority of slaves are owned by people of their own race? Why is America trying to force this idea on us that only black people have ever been slaves and only white people have ever been slave owners?

If they cared about black slavery, they should campaign for black people to stop selling black people to black people in Africa. But I guess it's easier to spend a few mill changing a programming language.

Are you triggered?

You seem triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

How can you possibly be this upset about something this small?

Twitter is making some small changes to the terminology they use in their coding, spare me the outrage.

This doesn’t effect you even a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jenkins did this years ago, hardly news.

Also there's no chance this costs "a few million". It's just a term used amongst people mostly, there'll be little reference in code to those terms. Hardly a full refactor of their codebase.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Are you triggered?

You seem triggered.

I just think it's completely and utterly retarded.

And people call liberals snowflakes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Genuinely, will this ever affect you in any way, shape or form?

Will the changing of this language alter any part of your life?

There is obviously a massive problem with modern day Slavery (especially in Libya) which does require a wider conversation. But Twitter making this change is not an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

Just out of curiosity - do you work in software development?

I do, and I think "whatever".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

What an odd reaction you have, anyway could you elaborate on the piece I've highlighted with some detail and evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Master and slave would also be common terminology when it comes to alarm systems and other electrical bits and pieces. Antiquated perhaps, but don't see the need to retain the term, or get rid of it. Either way. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

KiKi III wrote: »
    How can you possibly be this upset about something this small?

Twitter is making some small changes to the terminology they use in their coding, spare me the outrage.

This doesn’t effect you even a little bit.

You made this argument before, and you were shown how weak said argument was, yet here you are again. You people never learn, you go around in a loop of denial, over and over again.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity - do you work in software development?

I do, and I think "whatever".

Yes, I code. I adopt children and then I kill them.
    MFPM wrote: »
    What an odd reaction you have, anyway could you elaborate on the piece I've highlighted with some detail and evidence.

No.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You made this argument before, and you were shown how weak said argument was, yet here you are again. You people never learn, you go around in a loop of denial, over and over again.

Sorry, who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

This is a nice attempt to win brownie points with the woke crowd. Its really a small change to their infrastructure and not sure why it would be reported on at all bar the aforementioned brownie points.

Don't really think its anything to commend or get upset about really.

Master and slave would also be common terminology when it comes to alarm systems and other electrical bits and pieces. Antiquated perhaps, but don't see the need to retain the term, or get rid of it. Either way. Meh.

The terms are also used in database infrastructure where the master is the "live" database that is being written to and read from and the slaves are copies of that database that are generally for backup/fail-over purposes or can be used as read only to display data to the user in some instances.

This is a nice attempt to win brownie points with the woke crowd. Its really a small change to their infrastructure and not sure why it would be reported on at all bar the aforementioned brownie points.

Don't really think its anything to commend or get upset about really.

I'm not upset. I think it's stupid.

In my opening post, I said "More importantly" and gave my actual reason for this thread which is this attempt to monopolise slavery as a white master, black slave thing.

In my opening post, I said "More importantly" and gave my actual reason for this thread which is this attempt to monopolise slavery as a white master, black slave thing.

Point me to where Twitter said slavery only happened in the US, or was exclusively a white/ black issue.

It is stupid, it's tremendously stupid that they are changing these terms which are widely used in I.T because someone got upset. Anyone who works in I.T no matter the colour of their skin will understand these terms in this context and will know that they are not meant to be a racially loaded terms imo.

Point me to where Twitter said slavery only happened in the US.

Twitter said master and slave were racially loaded terms. Black slaves in America are likely the best example of one race owning another race. It's usually not based on race, like in Africa today.

And it's not about Twitter. It's a whole thing that is happening now. Calls for statues to be brought down in Ireland because of slavery in America? When Africans raided Ireland and sold us into slavery?

Yes, I code. I adopt children and then I kill them.

No.

I thought as much! So there's no substance to your statement just a bit of hysteria - good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

And people call liberals snowflakes...

Remind me again why these terms are changing?

• Advertisement

Twitter said master and slave were racially loaded terms. Black slaves in America are likely the best example of one race owning another race. It's usually not based on race, like in Africa today.

And it's not about Twitter. It's a whole thing that is happening now. Calls for statues to be brought down in Ireland because of slavery in America? When Africans raided Ireland and sold us into slavery?

Master and slave are racially loaded terms in the US, where Twitter is headquartered.

Nobody said that’s the only kind of slavery that’s ever existed or exists today.

It’s weird that an attempt to be more inclusive would bother you so much.

As for statues, we’ve got plenty of threads discussing that already.

It seems like you’re just opposed to any attempt to make POC feel more welcome/ included.

It is stupid, it's tremendously stupid that they are changing these terms which are widely used in I.T because someone got upset. Anyone who works in I.T no matter the colour of their skin will understand these terms in this context and will know that they are not meant to be a racially loaded terms imo.

Why is it 'stupid', you've used the term twice but haven't explained why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The terms are also used in database infrastructure where the master is the "live" database that is being written to and read from and the slaves are copies of that database that are generally for backup/fail-over purposes or can be used as read only to display data to the user in some instances.

I wonder does Boards use the same terminology....?

Black slaves in America are likely the best example of one race owning another race.

This is becoming absurd...you're flinging statements around with no evidence?
    When Africans raided Ireland and sold us into slavery?

When was this now?

I thought as much! So there's no substance to your statement just a bit of hysteria - good to know.

What part are you asking for evidence for?

There are more slaves now that ever before, and they are mostly owned by their own race.

Asians growing weed in farms in the UK are owned by Asian gangs. Eastern European prostitutes in the US are owned by Eastern European gangs. African slaves in the Congo are owned by Africans. Asians catching shrimp off Thailand are owned by Asians.

If you think this is hysteria, I can tell you it's not. The last few years have just been token efforts picking at low-hanging fruit just to look good, be it companies, or individuals on social media. There is almost no actual effort made to combat slavery even though it's the hot topic of the year. Most people seem to think it disappeared when the US ended it. I think it's terrible that people are being convinced of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

BDSM Lives Matter.

There are more slaves now that ever before, and they are mostly owned by their own race.

Asians growing weed in farms in the UK are owned by Asian gangs. Eastern European prostitutes in the US are owned by Eastern European gangs. African slaves in the Congo are owned by Africans. Asians catching shrimp off Thailand are owned by Asians.

All of these sound like good reasons for Twitter to stop using terms like master and slave?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd like evidence that this is going to cost a few million. As opposed to an email asking people not to use the terms, which is what actually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I'm very niggardly. I only spend money when necessary.

• Advertisement

This is becoming absurd...you're flinging statements around with no evidence?

Can you point to a better example of slavery based on race? I think what happened in the US is synonymous with it and you say I'm flinging out statements without evidence?
    When was this now?

The Barbary slave trade.

Advertisement