Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

bambam wrote: »
    Any link for that offer? sounds really good. Last time I spoke with them they had a 7c/kWh offer on night meter (after VAT)

Just took a look at their site and I can't find it in their plans anymore, maybe the offer expired :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

bambam wrote: »
    Any link for that offer? sounds really good. Last time I spoke with them they had a 7c/kWh offer on night meter (after VAT)

That offer is 5c for night but it has an increased day rate of 18c so you need to be sure you can shift to night rate to make it worth it relative to the standard day/night rates of 14c/7c.

Just took a look at their site and I can't find it in their plans anymore, maybe the offer expired :(

It’s still there. It’s called “EV Elect offer”

KCross wrote: »
    It’s still there. It’s called “EV Elect offer”

Ah I hit "Nightsaver" in the meter selection instead of "Day/Night", that's where I went wrong

To see the plan go to the link below, click "Show filters" and select electricity plans and a day/night meter

https://www.energia.ie/products/price-plans

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭zell12

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev
    Yes you will need to have an Electric Car Charger installed to avail of this offer.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev
    Yes you will need to have an Electric Car Charger installed to avail of this offer.

To be honest I just told them I've an EV, they didn't ask for any proof or anything so pretty much anyone could get the plan it seems

Not that I would advocate such deception :p

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Hi,

I am trying to set up my Father with a new Electricity Provider. Has anyone got a good recommendation for a provider that has a deal that works really well with Electric cars? Like maybe a good night saver rate?

Thanks ,

B

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi,

I am trying to set up my Father with a new Electricity Provider. Has anyone got a good recommendation for a provider that has a deal that works really well with Electric cars? Like maybe a good night saver rate?

Thanks ,

B

Use bonkers.ie.

AFAIK energia have the best EV rate at ~6c night rate, day rate is about 18c though. Check em out, it's all easily available on their sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Spoke to Energia this morning. The EV rate is currently only available if you have a day/night meter, it is not available if you have a smart meter (which seems very strange). Best rate I could get off them was 24% discount on electricity, 23% off gas
    so the VAT inclusive rates were 19.18/20.1/13.72c (Day/Peak/Night) and 5.09 for Gas. I was told meter readings would be sent every 30 minutes to ESB Networks. They had no information on feed-in rates if using solar panels (supposed to be coming in July)

I have no plans to switch to dumb day/night meters so will just have to monitor their product offerings..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

homer911 wrote: »
    Spoke to Energia this morning. The EV rate is currently only available if you have a day/night meter, it is not available if you have a smart meter (which seems very strange). Best rate I could get off them was 24% discount on electricity, 23% off gas
    so the VAT inclusive rates were 19.18/20.1/13.72c (Day/Peak/Night) and 5.09 for Gas. I was told meter readings would be sent every 30 minutes to ESB Networks. They had no information on feed-in rates if using solar panels (supposed to be coming in July)

I have no plans to switch to dumb day/night meters so will just have to monitor their product offerings..

I have a dumb day/night meter. My VAT inclusive rates from Energia are 14.95/7.17. Gas is 3.87. Maybe no so dumb after all.

You can switch to a night rate meter for free.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    I have a dumb day/night meter. My VAT inclusive rates from Energia are 14.95/7.17. Gas is 3.87. Maybe no so dumb after all.

He mentioned export which requires a smart meter

The rates are definitely higher with the smart meters, nice bit of price gouging there.

I suspect there's no technical reason why they can't offer the same plans on smart meters, and it's quite possible that if someone took them to court they'd get busted for it

He mentioned export which requires a smart meter

The rates are definitely higher with the smart meters, nice bit of price gouging there.

I suspect there's no technical reason why they can't offer the same plans on smart meters, and it's quite possible that if someone took them to court they'd get busted for it

You’d need to export a ton of electricity to make it worthwhile. And presumably the FIT will be less than the rates above. They are playing their customers for fools.

homer911 wrote: »
    Best rate I could get off them was 24% discount on electricity, 23% off gas
    so the VAT inclusive rates were 19.18/20.1/13.72c (Day/Peak/Night) .

They are shockingly bad rates. Are you sure they are not the pre-discount rates?

That 13c night rate is roughly what I pay for day rate!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unfortunately not, not aware of anyone that has "downgraded" from a Smart Meter to a Night Rate, not a matter of cost even, they just don't do it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You’d need to export a ton of electricity to make it worthwhile. And presumably the FIT will be less than the rates above. They are playing their customers for fools.

I agree 100%, there's no reason the smart meter plans needs to be more expensive and one of the "promises" of the rollout was that it wouldn't increase prices

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

I agree 100%, there's no reason the smart meter plans needs to be more expensive and one of the "promises" of the rollout was that it wouldn't increase prices

Pretty sure the issue here is with ESB Networks and not any supplier. They charge 4.441 c/kWh for night rate on a smart meter versus 0.692 c/kWh for night rate on a day/night meter. So that's 4.25 c/kWh more, including VAT.

I recently switched from a regular 24hr meter to a day/night meter for free to take advantage of the cheaper charging for EV and it's been great. Not a chance in hell would i get a smart meter until they bring the night rates in line.

Pretty sure the issue here is with ESB Networks and not any supplier. They charge 4.441 c/kWh for night rate on a smart meter versus 0.692 c/kWh for night rate on a day/night meter. So that's 4.25 c/kWh more, including VAT.

I recently switched from a regular 24hr meter to a day/night meter for free to take advantage of the cheaper charging for EV and it's been great. Not a chance in hell would i get a smart meter until they bring the night rates in line.

That's good information, didn't realise the network charges were higher

I thought the cost was supposed to be spread out across all customers, not just the ones with smart meters?

Seems like the total opposite is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

That's good information, didn't realise the network charges were higher

I thought the cost was supposed to be spread out across all customers, not just the ones with smart meters?

Seems like the total opposite is happening

The costs are spread out but for some reason ESBN didn't split the charges for smart meters like they do for day/night meters. So the day and peak charges are the same as night, not more expensive as you would expect.

It's crazy as one of the main reasons for smart metering is to encourage customers to shift their usage to cheaper off-peak times.

The domestic charges are on page 3 here:

https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/CRU20084a-Schedule-of-DUoS-Charges-1st-Oct-2020-%E2%80%93-30th-Sept-2021-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I just moved our electric and gas from Energia to Bord Gais and went for flat rate not day/night. Energia tried to save us but the BG unit rates and standing charge were all better so yer man just gave up - when dealing with them you need to know the rates you’ll be paying, they try to go for the x% off which sounds good but then you find out the standard rates are higher.

With BGE we’re now paying 14.94c for electric and 3.37c for gas incl. VAT.

Smart meter rates seem crazy high to me and wouldn’t work for us with two kids and WFH. Oh and I’ve a hybrid not BEV, that may swing the night rate for some.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should look into Solar PV xebec, with those unit rates and wfh could be well worth it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

That’s a very good rate, xebec. Was there any issue with cancelling S/O and settling final bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

spuddy4711 wrote: »
    That’s a very good rate, xebec. Was there any issue with cancelling S/O and settling final bills?

None so far, got final gas bill for last 20 days or so yesterday so will be paid and closed in two weeks, electric bill still to come but no real fear about it. Great rates alright, found them on bonkers.ie and then signed up direct on BGE site - sign up on this tariff wasn’t available direct on bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

To throw it out there...

I moved to the smart meter with Energia in mid-March. Got a discounted rate (-32% iirc), so close to new customer.
    I WFH and have a BEV and PHEV in the house.
    Since mid-March, our average daily cost is €4.38 (incl. standing charge,PSO,VAT).
    The equiv. night/day rate using the new customer rate would have cost €4.29 per day.
    So, it's "only" costing us an extra 9c a day. Will obviously be more in winter.
    When we first moved over, we tried moving certain activities to night time rate, but it just doesn't work for us - either needing to stay up late to switch things on, or remembering to fill the dryer when we first get up. For a few cents, we just don't bother trying to fit around the times the electricity would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

xebec wrote: »
    I just moved our electric and gas from Energia to Bord Gais and went for flat rate not day/night. Energia tried to save us but the BG unit rates and standing charge were all better so yer man just gave up - when dealing with them you need to know the rates you’ll be paying, they try to go for the x% off which sounds good but then you find out the standard rates are higher.

With BGE we’re now paying 14.94c for electric and 3.37c for gas incl. VAT.

I signed up to the same deal in March. In fact I signed up a week before they lowered their rates - and they were still the cheapest - and when the new rates came in within my 14 day cool off period I called to ask for the lower rates. Unfortunately they then messed it up and sent my gas account back to the old provider. I only found out a month later so paid undiscounted prices for gas for April which more or less killed off any savings from the 2% lower rate I had called them back for. But on their best deal now 31% off electricity and 40% off gas. If you use gas for heating and don't have a very well insulated house, this is the best deal going.

TheRef wrote: »
    To throw it out there...

I moved to the smart meter with Energia in mid-March. Got a discounted rate (-32% iirc), so close to new customer.
    I WFH and have a BEV and PHEV in the house.
    Since mid-March, our average daily cost is €4.38 (incl. standing charge,PSO,VAT).
    The equiv. night/day rate using the new customer rate would have cost €4.29 per day.
    So, it's "only" costing us an extra 9c a day. Will obviously be more in winter.
    When we first moved over, we tried moving certain activities to night time rate, but it just doesn't work for us - either needing to stay up late to switch things on, or remembering to fill the dryer when we first get up. For a few cents, we just don't bother trying to fit around the times the electricity would be cheaper.

True, one of the best theories I ever heard was that if the time spent versus money saved works out at less than minimum wage then it's probably not worthwhile

I think in Ireland it works out that if it takes longer than 6 mins to save €1 then it's not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

TheRef wrote: »
    either needing to stay up late to switch things on, or remembering to fill the dryer when we first get up. For a few cents, we just don't bother trying to fit around the times the electricity would be cheaper.

I too have day/night but I just turn things on before I go to bed irrespective of the time, I dont find it too inconvenient.

Most domestic appliances have a cycle time that will mean at least some of it will be during the night rate, eg my dishwasher takes 3 hours ( go to bed at 11pm - two thirds is in night rate).

celtic_oz wrote: »
    I too have day/night but I just turn things on before I go to bed irrespective of the time, I dont find it too inconvenient.

Most domestic appliances have a cycle time that will mean at least some of it will be during the night rate, eg my dishwasher takes 3 hours ( go to bed at 11pm - two thirds is in night rate).

Most appliances have delay timers now, I find they're pretty handy even without the night rates, for example if you forgot to put something in the dishwasher or washing machine you can put it in while the timer is running down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yes I use delay timers on the appliances, turn on dishwasher and delay for 5 hours, same with washing machine.

It’s worth pointing out that modern appliances are way more efficient than older ones. Especially anything that uses hot water.

When we moved in here there was a Miele dishwasher. Probably 15 years old and built like a tank. After a while we decided to invest in a fancy Neff one and pushed the boat out and spent €450 on one. I can date it by looking at the usage graphs on the Energia website. It has saved us ~50 per billing cycle and has already paid for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Standard word of warnings: be super careful running appliances at night or otherwise unattended.

A couple of years ago, our dishwasher (expensive Bosch) went up in literal smoke. When we pulled it out to replace, I was shocked to see the damage and was very glad it had happened while we were around to notice and switch off mains.

Advertisement