Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electricity supplier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Depends on what the ESB will be willing to pay anything else the taxpayer will be funding. So can't be too high or bills will have to increase and that's not good for those in rented accommodation, People in Apartments etc and those who can't afford to install Solar PV.

It's a shame we're not allowed more than 5.5 Kw to the grid on single phase because the more you send to the grid the more money you make or less you have to import, the more you send would be great for electric heating in Winter and of course EV charging.

In fairness to esb it's an extra cost to get nesscessary changes to increase your output and that's to be expected...it's the same if you need increased power output for say setting up a business using excessive amount s of electrical power.
    It should be a free market and let the price settle where it may depending on how many people supply there own power to the grid simple as.

That money will be coming from the taxpayer and if not planned right it will end up causing bills to be much higher. The Irish Government will ensure the Companies get rich first.

I expect no money from taxpayer.just pay whatever the market value dictates.no subsidies.let it be 4 5 or 6 cent to a potential small scale suppler....at least your getting something for it and not giving it away.

richie123 wrote: »
    I expect no money from taxpayer.just pay whatever the market value dictates.no subsidies.let it be 4 5 or 6 cent to a potential small scale suppler....at least your getting something for it and not giving it away.

What is the market rate ? some companies pay next to nothing for electricity and a lot less than 4 cent per Kwh.

What is the market rate ? some companies pay next to nothing for electricity and a lot less than 4 cent per Kwh.

Have you any examples of this ?and if that's the case then solar pv on a small scale basis will never work

Have you any examples of this ?and if that's the case then solar pv on a small scale basis will never work

Not on a Public forum. But that doesn't mean the "normal" market rate won't be applied to us for excess sent to the grid.

• Advertisement

Not on a Public forum. But that doesn't mean the "normal" market rate won't be applied to us for excess sent to the grid.

Your probably talking about maybe very windy nights ..3,4 am demand is low and generation is excessive...you can understand how it would be the case then

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is quite unusual to be able to produce something at small scale with better cost efficiency than at large scale. Hence "economies of scale".

Your probably talking about maybe very windy nights ..3,4 am demand is low and generation is excessive...you can understand how it would be the case then

No I'm not talking about that at all. There are companies that use huge amounts of energy that pay very little for energy.

No I'm not talking about that at all. There are companies that use huge amounts of energy that pay very little for energy.

I see I didn't know that now.are you referring to data centers and the like ?

I see I didn't know that now.are you referring to data centers and the like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Lumen wrote: »
    It is quite unusual to be able to produce something at small scale with better cost efficiency than at large scale. Hence "economies of scale".

Well that only holds up if you're expecting to make a profit. I can't imagine anyone in Ireland is expecting to profit from a feed in tariff. The best you can hope for is to reduce your annual bill down to as close to 0 as possible and reduce the payback period for your PV panels

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Guaranteed you won't profit in Ireland, only companies will profit from taxpayer subsidies!

+ you're only allowed a measly 5.5 Kw to the grid on single phase unless that's changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't imagine anyone in Ireland is expecting to profit from a feed in tariff.

That depends how you define profit. If you can do a DIY install and you buy well, you could have PV on your roof for as little as €0.50 per watt, or €500 for a kwp. This kwp will generate 1000kWh per year.

Worst case scenario, you use nothing of this yourself, and all goes to the grid. If we get a €0.05 FIT, that would pay you €50 per year, or 10% ROI

Best case scenario, you use 50% of this yourself and the rest goes to the grid. ROI 22%

That's a hell of a lot more than the 1% or less most people are getting on money sitting in their savings account. In my book that's a profit. For your purse and for the environment. Win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭3d4life

3d4life wrote: »

Looks like you could bypass the ESB entirely using a system like this, you wouldn't need an export meter since the software would act as a monitor of exported power.

Of course you'd need a marketplace to sell the electricity to, and someone looking to buy it. Will providers start paying for what they're getting for free already?

Looks like you could bypass the ESB entirely using a system like this, you wouldn't need an export meter since the software would act as a monitor of exported power.

Of course you'd need a marketplace to sell the electricity to, and someone looking to buy it. Will providers start paying for what they're getting for free already?

Still uses the ESB Network though so not sure whether or not they could block something like this.

Still uses the ESB Network though so not sure whether or not they could block something like this.

True, but they don't seem to mind people dumping to the grid for free (within limits) and as far as they'd be concerned you're doing the same.

As far as I can tell the way this marketplace thingy works is that someone asks you to dump excess power to the grid and you agree a rate. You send the power to the grid and your PV system tells the marketplace how much you exported and you get paid for what you sent. The ESB doesn't get involved at all

True, but they don't seem to mind people dumping to the grid for free (within limits) and as far as they'd be concerned you're doing the same.

As far as I can tell the way this marketplace thingy works is that someone asks you to dump excess power to the grid and you agree a rate. You send the power to the grid and your PV system tells the marketplace how much you exported and you get paid for what you sent. The ESB doesn't get involved at all

Yeah it's exactly what we need but unless the regulator approves it I can't see the ESB allowing it but you never know, if only we had a FIT I'd have solar pv myself but it's just not worth it now, too much trying to manage energy diversions to this and that, it's really just a waste but with a FIT I could export and buy back when needed, but 5.5 Kw to the grid is too low, I would install more if I could to export more so I could use that to charge the car + run heat pump.

I'm half thinking of installing a wind turbine myself connected to a grid tie inverter and connect it to a normal socket. I know I'm not on the best site with trees around not that high up but we get wind and any free energy is good, it would go towards running the house + charging the car. A 2 Kw wind turbine would do the job, it would probably be the max I'd send through a 3 pin plug anyway.

Yeah it's exactly what we need but unless the regulator approves it I can't see the ESB allowing it but you never know, if only we had a FIT I'd have solar pv myself but it's just not worth it now, too much trying to manage energy diversions to this and that, it's really just a waste but with a FIT I could export and buy back when needed, but 5.5 Kw to the grid is too low, I would install more if I could to export more so I could use that to charge the car + run heat pump.

The 5.5kW thing annoys me too, I get that there should be limits on microgeneration, since you're getting a fixed price regardless of the market rate, but most houses can import up to 12kVA (or more) so I don't see why you can't export the same amount.

I like what they've done in the UK, they've removed the FIT and are instead forcing the electricity providers to pay out a certain rate to microgenerators. No doubt most of them will just pay the minimum, but a few forward thinking ones might offer a higher rate to entice customers over to them. There's also no burden on the taxpayer, which is always a plus to me

The 5.5kW thing annoys me too, I get that there should be limits on microgeneration, since you're getting a fixed price regardless of the market rate, but most houses can import up to 12kVA (or more) so I don't see why you can't export the same amount.

I like what they've done in the UK, they've removed the FIT and are instead forcing the electricity providers to pay out a certain rate to microgenerators. No doubt most of them will just pay the minimum, but a few forward thinking ones might offer a higher rate to entice customers over to them. There's also no burden on the taxpayer, which is always a plus to me

I'd like if the taxpayer subsidised the taxpayer and not subsidise big companies with nothing gained for the taxpayer and worse again now we have to subsidise solar PV companies which could drive up the PSO levy and it's only when the Government announced subsidies for Solar PV did these companies rush in applications for solar PV farms and I got to say, I've seen some big solar PV farms in Germany and I must say I'm not a big fan of the look of such blackness in fields.

Every roof top in Ireland should have solar PV but no, Ireland INC will look after the big companies with our money just doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm not a big fan of the look of such blackness in fields.

Those fields are ruining the views of the forest that should be in that location.

I'd like if the taxpayer subsidised the taxpayer and not subsidise big companies with nothing gained for the taxpayer and worse again now we have to subsidise solar PV companies which could drive up the PSO levy and it's only when the Government announced subsidies for Solar PV did these companies rush in applications for solar PV farms and I got to say, I've seen some big solar PV farms in Germany and I must say I'm not a big fan of the look of such blackness in fields.

Every roof top in Ireland should have solar PV but no, Ireland INC will look after the big companies with our money just doesn't seem right.

Why does the taxpayer have to get involved at all ?why can't people stand on their own two feet wether it's a householder or a big company.

Why does the taxpayer have to get involved at all ?why can't people stand on their own two feet wether it's a householder or a big company.

You're correct of course, I'd be happy with FIT not paid for by the taxpayer.

But, I would rather see some of our tax go to the taxpayer rather than companies.

Too much of our hard earned is going to support big companies and they pay next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

OK so up for renewal. With Energia and they have offered a 29% discount and 50 euro cash back

Rate is
    17.12 day
    8.21 night
    Which seems ok.

The standing charge is €227.03 which seems high. Is this good? bad? or indifferent?

Superfoods wrote: »
    OK so up for renewal. With Energia and they have offered a 29% discount and 50 euro cash back

Rate is
    17.12 day
    8.21 night
    Which seems ok.

The standing charge is €227.03 which seems high. Is this good? bad? or indifferent?

Check bonkers.ie or switcher.ie to get a clear picture

Pretty sure energia are doing a higher discount, 41% I think

Rate is
    17.12 day
    8.21 night
    Which seems ok.

Current rate for new customers.

14.22c/kWh
    6.83c/kWh

They want to rip you off just like me so I cancelled and set it up in my Partners name.

If you cancel, you can only cancel on the minute they think you are walking out the door so don't call up the day before as far as they're concerned you're moving and they don't need to know any more information as you're out of contract. Have the latest day/night meter reading.

Then get your Wife to setup in her name if it was in yours. Don't use the same bank account and I'd say you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Current rate for new customers.

14.22c/kWh
    6.83c/kWh

They want to rip you off just like me so I cancelled and set it up in my Partners name.

If you cancel, you can only cancel on the minute they think you are walking out the door so don't call up the day before as far as they're concerned you're moving and they don't need to know any more information as you're out of contract. Have the latest day/night meter reading.

Then get your Wife to setup in her name if it was in yours. Don't use the same bank account and I'd say you'll be fine.

None of the other suppliers are offering close to what Energia are as a new customer......

THis is best I could get

17.00 cent per kWh (day rate)
    9.90 cent per kWh (night rate)
    €84.29 standing charge

None of the other suppliers are offering close to what Energia are as a new customer......

THis is best I could get

17.00 cent per kWh (day rate)
    9.90 cent per kWh (night rate)
    €84.29 standing charge

Just cancel, setup under new name and preferably new bank account just in case.

Better off having the saved money spent on something else or stay in your account than to give it to Energia especially since they don't look after their existing customers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just went from Electric Ireland to Energia last week, Energia were way ahead of the rest of them.
    In one years time I will do the same exercise, I change every year without fail as the competition are always cheaper when I shop around and I could not be bothered phoning up the current crowd haggling.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

Energia are by far the cheapest, can't wait to switch over to them in two weeks from now. Prices incl. VAT

14.22 cent per kWh (day rate)
    6.82 cent per kWh (night rate)

Advertisement