Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights recommedations

Options
  • 03-07-2020 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I've done a search and couldn't find anything recent on lights. I got a road bike (my first bike in about 18 years) recently. I've been exclusively using it for leisure and fitness spins, and not for commuting. I can't see this changing a huge amount, maybe a slight chance of a small bit of commuting. I haven't bought any lights yet, so I'm looking for recommendations. Budget would be €40ish. I would prefer rechargeable lights. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

i use a Cateye Volt100 for urban commuting and always use it on the flash setting, it came in a deal with a Cateye mini flasher rear light . cateye i like because the backet is easy to switch btw bikes(its a plastic screw/nut).

for longer distances in the country in the pitch dark i also have a Volt400 fits the same brackets(but it did come with its own). Also have a Lezyne rear k70 ? and a Leyzne helmet job but dont use it much

all the above are rechargeable via USB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I do all my cycling commuting or short cycles for exercise around town. A couple of years ago I splashed out on Knog lights. THey were relatively expensive but were great value. My ones are still going strong, very bright and USB chargable and just clip on and off without any mounting. They don't sell the models I bought anymore but I'd still reccoemmend them as a brand https://www.knog.com/
    I'm tempted to buy a new model now even though I dont need them, these ones look cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have Smart 0.5W superflash for the rear (I don't use the flashing mode) with two rechargeable AAAs, and it's very bright without being dazzling.

I just got I got a Catye Gvolt20. This was the only headlight that takes AAs I could find that fits the Cateye brackets I have on my three bikes, apart from the HL-EL135, which seems to be a poor choice for lighting your way. It only takes two AAs, so it's small, but lasts about seven hours on the lower mode using rechargeable AAs.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...hts/HL-EL350G/

It's actually very good. It meets the German lighting standard (StVZO), so the beam has a good rectangular shape and doesn't illuminate the treetops. I tried going from Clonskeagh Road bridge to Dundrum on the cycle track at night to see how well it lights the way in the dark, and it does a very acceptable job.

Anyway, wanting a headlight that takes AAs or AAAs is probably a pretty niche concern now, but they're good lights, and you can leave the modern rechargeable AAs or AAAs in them and come back to them months later and they won't have discharged, and when the batteries finally degrade, you don't need to buy a new light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bought a pair of USB chargeable lights from decathlon recently, haven’t used them yet but they are near and cost 30 quid i think. Their stuff is normally decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thought it was a bit cooler today alright and now a thread on lights - winter definately closing in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I haven't had a chance to pull the trigger on any lights yet, so if there are any more recommendations, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I have the Lezyne Zecto set about 4 years now - 250 lumens front and 80 rear. Rechargeable, very light, and attach via a tough rubber strap so you can move around bikes at will. About €50 in most places.

A light to be seen by rather than a light to see with, bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

devonp wrote: »
    i use a Cateye Volt100 for urban commuting and always use it on the flash setting, it came in a deal with a Cateye mini flasher rear light . cateye i like because the backet is easy to switch btw bikes(its a plastic screw/nut).

for longer distances in the country in the pitch dark i also have a Volt400 fits the same brackets(but it did come with its own). Also have a Lezyne rear k70 ? and a Leyzne helmet job but dont use it much

all the above are rechargeable via USB

I think I'm going to go for the Cateye Rapid Mini Rear light and either the Cateye Volt 200 XC or Cateye Ampp 500 for the front

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I got a Halfords own brand Bike Hut 1000 lumens off the kids for father's Day. About €43 after a discount. It's very bright and clips on/off via a rubber strap.
    Only issue with it is that on any of the flashing modes it affected my wireless trip computer. Apparently this is quite common with most flashing lights so something to think about if you've a wireless computer that's isn't GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've a set of the See-Sense icons, different mode settings including brake mode, links to GPS for logging routes and another few gimmicks, USB charging system and fairly good interval between charges also.

I think I got them in a sale in either Evans or Wiggle last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I use See Sense Ace and they are great "be seen" lights. I purchased directly from See Sense and their Customer service is excellent. I had a problem with one light and they sent on a replacement immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

I have niterider sentinel 250 for back light, Brilliant light. Then CR900 from Ravemen. Can’t flaw either of these lights.
    I’ve added the Ravemen TR20 rear lights, to the forks. Is it over kill, well I’ve got good comments from motorists that I’m well lit up.

Advertisement