Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Freeview Coverage Issue

• 03-07-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Folks,

Looking for some help and guidance.

Before the last Saorview update in March / April we were able to pick up all the UK Free channels and Saorview channels on the one TV. If you see the photo attached these are the aerials we currently have on the house which have been there for a number of years. The small aerial is the Saorview aerial as is facing in the direction of the Cairn Hill transmitter. The taller mast is facing northwards which up to earlier in the year was picking up the UK Freeview channels. No satellite dishes were ever installed as we did not require them.
    T\
    he reason why I'd say we were able to pick up the UK channels is because we are located in North Westmeath beside the Cavan border and were in range to pick up coverage overspill from Northern Ireland. The TV itself is only about 2 years old and is Saorview approved.

Since the Saorview update in March we have not been able to pick up any UK Freeview channels. Numerous times the TV has been tuned but to no effect. I am assuming that in order to pick up UK channels we will now require a box of some description?

Is it a case of buying a combo box that you can run both saorview and Freeview through the one receiver or will we have to install a dish to pick up the UK channels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Nothing was done in March or April that would affect your Freeview reception: the NI changes took place last September, & the new Saorview frequencies were switched on at the same time, to run alongside the old until March. (Nothing changed at Cairn Hill.)

I'd say to just go with a dish, as reception probably wasn't great where you are at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Nothing was done in March or April that would affect your Freeview reception: the NI changes took place last September, & the new Saorview frequencies were switched on at the same time, to run alongside the old until March. (Nothing changed at Cairn Hill.)

I'd say to just go with a dish, as reception probably wasn't great where you are at the best of times.

Only change on Freeview channels in March was to the weaker and temporary muxes COM 7/8 from Divis. Recent change earlier this week has removed COM 8 altogether with some channels having been moved to COM 7 e.g. Freesports. Other channels have been removed e.g. Channel 4 +1 HD. Doubtful whether the remaining channels on Com 7 can be picked up south of the border except on very high ground with line of sight. I live just c15 miles as crow flies from Divis and I'm struggling to pick up COM 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

Perfect lads ill go with a new dish and receiver and that should sort the problem out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I too lost all UK Freeview channels since March, not only that but all the Saorview ones too with barely any signal. I tried retuning multiple times and nothing on either Freeview or Saorview apart from some pixilated stuff with garbled sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

The relevant Freeview changes took place last September. The new Saorview frequencies were switched on then too, so any co-channel issues would have come to light then. (Brougher Mtn./Kilduff was mentioned here, for people still using Freeview 'down the country'.)

The old & new Saorview freqs. were simulcast for 6 months to give people a chance to make any needed changes to their aerials etc. All that happened in March is that the old Saorview were switched off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement