Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Works outside the Temple Bar pub

Options
  • 03-07-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Finally, the contractors seem to be finishing up after ripping up Temple Bar street.

However it's a pity the historic cobblestones have been replaced by a long slab of tarmac! :-(

Is there not some kind of rule where builders have to return an area back to its original condition?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The cobbles or setts will be replaced, probably as badly as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its normal to do a temporary asphalt job before returning to do any other form of paving; and they are legally required to do so afterwards. Makes it very obvious if there's any settling of the layers below.

The asphalt is recycled, its reusable effectively infinitely as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Photos taken in the 60s and 70s show tarmac on those streets. Unless the cobbles were in perfect nick underneath I'd wonder if the ones there nowadays only date from the upgrade of the area in the 90s?

Junction of Fownes Street Lower/Temple Bar
    Crown Alley

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a thread on it here (from Archiseek, a fantastic site): https://archiseek.com/discussion/topic/disappearance-of-cobblestone-setts-in-dublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The cobblestones are definitely coming back, I saw a post on this subject specifically on DCC's Twitter a while ago. Please don't make me go look for it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought the present setts came mostly from Smithfield in the 80's and 90's to replace the tarmac in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

spurious wrote: »
    There is a thread on it here (from Archiseek, a fantastic site): https://archiseek.com/discussion/topic/disappearance-of-cobblestone-setts-in-dublin/

Great site-The regent barber was there till at least 1986, all the mods and teds used to get their hair cut there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

humberklog wrote: »
    I thought the present setts came mostly from Smithfield in the 80's and 90's to replace the tarmac in Temple Bar.

From the old photos of temple bar it looks like the cobbles were just tarmaced over.

Advertisement