Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else getting scared of where society is going?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

There's more anti-Irish racism on this island than anti-black racism?

What a strange comment. Firstly the Irish are not a race. Secondly, and I presume you're referring to Unionists/Loyalists above, they are not a separate race to the Nationalists/Republicans, certainly if you're talking about the overwhelming majority of either who identify as such, who are white. I presume you're talking about sectarian/political bigotry.

Thirdly, there is a significant number of Irish people who are people of colour or a distinct ethnic group. If they suffer racism it is not because they are Irish.

So there is very much more anti-black racism on this island than "anti-Irish racism".

Irish people actively participated in the British Empire, in genocides against Native Americans, and fought for the Confederacy.

John Mitchel, who has I think it's nine GAA clubs named after him, was a propagandist for slavery and considered blacks to be sub-human.

Irish-Americans tend to be among the biggest supporters of Trump.

It's not a good idea to, sorry for the pun, whitewash Irish people's historical and contemporary racism.

Lad most of ur comments are strange, you want to be anti racist, but you dont rightly understand racism... you lump large groups of people into boxes that conveniently suit your argument... regardless of facts.

Figure out what racism actually is first before you go about trying to end it... ill give you a hint you cant do it by pandering to black people and being racist to white people because of "history".

The ironic thing about the anti trump supporters is they are hoping trump fails at all costs, rather than be pleasantly surprised if he does a good job they rather see the country fail to get him out of office, all the while being as righteous as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

You've a massive hard on for trump talk.

Parking that aside, your own opinion on white privilege would be the opposite of racism if you applied it just to yourself.

See, the thing with racism is, when you apply a statement, an attribute or judgement on everyone within an ethnicity purely based on their skin colour or ethnic group, that's when it's racist.

You believe everyone has white privilege and somehow feel superior because you "own" it, rather than the likes of me who reject the silly prejudiced premise.

May I ask how much of your carers allowance are you donating to BLM or are you not THAT interested in reparations?

It's quite simple. Racist beliefs or opinions are racist.

White privilege very much exists. I mean what's claiming to speak authoritatively about black lived experience when it's clear you don't listen to it, as is the case with you, if not white privilege?

Do you think Donald Trump would be US president acting the way he does and did, if he was black? Would he ****. That's white privilege.

Why did you ask how much of my carer's allowance I'm donating to Black Lives Matter?

Are you saying that unless I'm donating money to Black Lives Matter I'm a racist?

I suppose if I donated some of my €219 a week to Black Lives Matter that would be racist too in your opinion?

Or was it another crap, kick down attempt at comedy which is meant to ridicule the very idea of anti-racism?

Can't win with people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Scared ? No, not scared but concerned how social media is not helping. Social media has given every ****ehawk a way to give their opinions whether they are valid or not. It's also allowed people to say hurtful things with far too much ease. When I was a teenager in the late 1990's if you wanted to say something hurtful/bully someone you had to do it face to face and put effort into it.

The woke crowd and progressive part of society have time and time again recently hurt the genuine message of issues that do need to be addressed by their holier than thou mindset. It's not helped that a few of the loudest voices have turned out to be a bad if not worse than the people they are railing against.

White privilege very much exists. I mean what's claiming to speak authoritatively about black lived experience when it's clear you don't listen to it, as is the case with you, if not white privilege?

Do you think Donald Trump would be US president acting the way he does and did, if he was black? Would he ****. That's white privilege.

Why did you ask how much of my carer's allowance I'm donating to Black Lives Matter?

Are you saying that unless I'm donating money to Black Lives Matter I'm a racist?

I suppose if I donated some of my €219 a week to Black Lives Matter that would be racist too in your opinion?

Or was it another crap, kick down attempt at comedy which is meant to ridicule the very idea of anti-racism?

Again, there is no attempt of comedy on my part. And again, I agree, racist opinion or beliefs are racist. Judging people purely on their skin colour is unacceptable, yet you continue to do so.

The reason I ask about your contribution to BLM is because I wonder what you are doing to counteract the perceived privilege you have.

I am not, and would never ridicule anti-racism. I believe strongly in it, which is why I won't accept your racist belief that I have any sort of white privilege.

You keep mentioning trump. I have no idea why. Especially in a conversation with me.

And again, no, you can't "win" against people like me. Purely because I don't think it's a game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There's more anti-Irish racism on this island than anti-black racism?

What a strange comment. Firstly the Irish are not a race. Secondly, and I presume you're referring to Unionists/Loyalists above, they are not a separate race to the Nationalists/Republicans, certainly if you're talking about the overwhelming majority of either who identify as such, who are white. I presume you're talking about sectarian/political bigotry.

Thirdly, there is a significant number of Irish people who are people of colour or a distinct ethnic group. If they suffer racism it is not because they are Irish.

So there is very much more anti-black racism on this island than "anti-Irish racism".

Irish people actively participated in the British Empire, in genocides against Native Americans, and fought for the Confederacy.

John Mitchel, who has I think it's nine GAA clubs named after him, was a propagandist for slavery and considered blacks to be sub-human.

Irish-Americans tend to be among the biggest supporters of Trump.

It's not a good idea to, sorry for the pun, whitewash Irish people's historical and contemporary racism.

Sorry to break it to you but Irish people are ethnically Irish, we live in a white skinned country although we were not considered to be white by European standards until recently historically speaking, although in the great scheme of things as long as you are here and doing your best you are more than welcome. My point is Ethnicity and Nationality are not the same thing, the foreigners that settled here are Irish nationals but they are not ethnically Irish and never will be. We are not America, which is a country build from immigration, we are a ethno-state like Japan. Also our hands are clean, we did not set up a slave trade like the Black Africans did in order to sell their rival tribes for profit, We did not invade other countries(except Scotland but that was pre-history) or take land. We are also some of the most accepting and friendly people in the world possibly because our ancestors were one of the most oppressed in European history so we dont generally have a large national ego like the UK does. Also I dont care what Irish people did when they move to another country as you become a part of that system and have very little choice in what happens.

• Advertisement

Did Obama get in just because he was black?

I want to be president of the US next, i invoke white privilege!

oooh it didnt work... is my white privilege broken?

Maybe i need ridiculous PR and campaign people to help me promote my white privilege..

I cant wait till i get the hang of this new white privilege super power i gonna be so rich!

Cupatae wrote: »
    Lad most of ur comments are strange, you want to be anti racist, but you dont rightly understand racism... you lump large groups of people into boxes that conveniently suit your argument... regardless of facts.

Figure out what racism actually is first before you go about trying to end it... ill give you a hint you cant do it by pandering to black people and being racist to white people because of "history".

The ironic thing about the anti trump supporters is they are hoping trump fails at all costs, rather than be pleasantly surprised if he does a good job they rather see the country fail to get him out of office, all the while being as righteous as possible.

This forum must be very close to somebody unironically saying "racism is the real anti-racism".

It's almost like there's a load of posters piling in to try and deliberately twist things to protect racism!

Your last paragraph is a classic right-wing grifter's technique. It's from the same school as demonising those who railed against Trump's dismissal of Covid-19.

"You want millions to die!".

Literally any legitimate criticism can be dismissed. It's a nakedly totalitarian tactic to shut down criticism.

Warn about lack of social distancing in pubs potentially spreading Covid? "You want the pubs to fail! You want more people to get Covid and die!"

Hannah Arendt skewered this technique.

“One of the greatest advantages of the totalitarian elites of the twenties and thirties was to turn any statement of fact into a question of motive.”

Trump has been a total disaster and that's an objective statement of fact. You'd have to be next level deluded to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This forum must be very close to somebody unironically saying "racism is the real anti-racism".

It's almost like there's a load of posters piling in to try and deliberately twist things to protect racism!

Your last paragraph is a classic right-wing grifter's technique. It's from the same school as demonising those who railed against Trump's dismissal of Covid-19.

Literally any legitimate criticism can be dismissed. It's a nakedly totalitarian tactic to shut down criticism.

Warn about lack of social distancing in pubs potentially spreading Covid? "You want the pubs to fail! You want more people to get Covid and die!"

“One of the greatest advantages of the totalitarian elites of the twenties and thirties was to turn any statement of fact into a question of motive.”

Trump has been a total disaster and that's an objective statement of fact. You'd have to be next level deluded to believe otherwise.

If you can recognise it's wrong why do you constantly do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Can someone be so woefully misinformed about life,and whats going on around them,i hope you are college going early 20s person who happens to be a carer.

If you have gotten near 40 or past 40 and really believe the absolute tripe you been posting here,God help you.

Remind me again on your view of people saying a transwoman is not the same as a biological woman and then have a gander at your above quote.

• Advertisement

So they got so upset about covid 19 they all congregated together to protest trump, sounds like natural selection if ya ask me.

Whats your take on BLM calling for mass protests in the midst of covid19? this should be good.

You spouted a whole lot of nonsense in an attempt to sound super intelligent the truth is i couldn't give a toss about trump because i don't live in america, my point was the morons that wanted trump to fail at all costs because they disliked trump even if it meant damaging there own country.

What people are saying to u is very simply you arent going to beat racism with racism, you bang on about white privilege which is racist by the way, then cry about the plight of ethnics...

Ironically enough you're the only one implying the tactics your accusing others of.

Did Obama get in just because he was black?

I want to be president of the US next, i invoke white privilege!

oooh it didnt work... is my white privilege broken?

Maybe i need ridiculous PR and campaign people to help me promote my white privilege..

I cant wait till i get the hang of this new white privilege super power i gonna be so rich!

Your efforts at comedy are pitiful.

Obama got in because he was a gifted speaker and offered an optimistic view of America as well as some optimistic, progressive policies, certainly compared to his opponent. He obviously got the black vote in record numbers because it was a historic advance for the black community to have a black presidential candidate.

Also, in 2008 and even 2012, American fascism wasn't yet much of a thing. That would soon change. Learned behaviour from demagogues.

Within the first six months of Obama's presidency the white backlash started, with a racist campaign to demonise and delegitimise him, based on nothing other than his skin colour.

This followed the exact same pattern as after previous seeming advances for blacks in the US, when the abolition of slavery was followed by Jim Crow and the era of lynchings, and when desegregation and the Civil Rights Act was followed by massive resistance throughout the South and the Republicans winning the south from the Democrats by appealing explicitly to racism through the Southern Strategy, ie. they became the party of the Confederacy because the Democrats became the party of Civil Rights.

Republicans called Obama "divisive".

Why? Because he is black. And blacks should "know their place", apparently.

There was a massive conspiracy campaign to deny that he could even be American.

And who was at the forefront pushing the racist birther conspiracy campaign against him?

Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maybe you came from a rich household and went to good private school but most of us didn't.

I grew up in a working class household and was actually temporarily "homeless" as a child (had to stay with my mom's brother). I went to a public school that anyone has access to. Thankfully, I had good parents who put an importance on education so I always studied hard and did well in school so got into college and a decent job. That job means I earn enough that I don't qualify for social supports but not enough that I can actually afford a house so still live at home. I am taxed quite highly imo and get zero benefit for it, but see my taxes go on people who don't so anything.

Is that white privilege? Cos to me and I'd imagine a lot in similar situations, or people are who married with kids paying huge crèche fees, it doesn't seem very privileged.

Your efforts at comedy are pitiful.

Obama got in because he was a gifted speaker and offered an optimistic view of America as well as some optimistic, progressive policies, certainly compared to his opponent. He obviously got the black vote in record numbers because it was a historic advance for the black community to have a black presidential candidate.

Also, in 2008 and even 2012, American fascism wasn't yet much of a thing. That would soon change. Learned behaviour from demagogues.

Within the first six months of Obama's presidency the white backlash started, with a racist campaign to demonise and delegitimise him, based on nothing other than his skin colour.

This followed the exact same pattern as after previous seeming advances for blacks in the US, when the abolition of slavery was followed by Jim Crow and the era of lynchings, and when desegregation and the Civil Rights Act was followed by massive resistance throughout the South and the Republicans winning the south from the Democrats by appealing explicitly to racism through the Southern Strategy, ie. they became the party of the Confederacy because the Democrats became the party of Civil Rights.

Republicans called Obama "divisive".

Why? Because he is black. And blacks should "know their place", apparently.

There was a massive conspiracy campaign to deny that he could even be American.

And who was at the forefront pushing the racist birther conspiracy campaign against him?

Donald Trump.

At least my comedy is intentional

Do you even read the tripe you post?

titan18 wrote: »
    Maybe you came from a rich household and went to good private school but most of us didn't.

I grew up in a working class household and was actually temporarily "homeless" as a child (had to stay with my mom's brother). I went to a public school that anyone has access to. Thankfully, I had good parents who put an importance on education so I always studied hard and did well in school so got into college and a decent job. That job means I earn enough that I don't qualify for social supports but not enough that I can actually afford a house so still live at home. I am taxed quite highly imo and get zero benefit for it, but see my taxes go on people who don't so anything.

Is that white privilege? Cos to me and I'd imagine a lot in similar situations, or people are who married with kids paying huge crèche fees, it doesn't seem very privileged.

One thing you can be sure of,when a White person is pushing Historic racism guilt.

That White person has had an easy life with little to no adversity.

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    One thing you can be sure of,when a White person is pushing Historic racism guilt.

When they believe in the mythical white privilege you know they are in fantasy land.

Hannibal36 wrote: »

Again, seeing as you deliberately missed it last time, I earn €219 a week as a full time carer.

So what you are saying is demonstrably utter nonsense.

Earlier you called me "the elite with all the power and all the money".

Now that's living in a fantasy land.

Your paranoia and conspiracy theorising is at Gemma O'Doherty levels.

At least my comedy is intentional

Do you even read the tripe you post?
    Comedy has to be funny to be comedy, and you failed badly.

'Tis easy see when somebody has a raw nerve touched, and yours is badly exposed.

Comedy has to be funny to be comedy, and you failed badly.

'Tis easy see when somebody has a raw nerve touched, and yours is badly exposed.

Yeah man, im livid here... my white privilege isn't working.

I went to a public school too, grew up in a lower middle class/working class area of Dublin and one thing I am not and never have been is flush with cash.

Denying white privilege is the elite, pro-establishment angle. It always has been and always will be.

• Advertisement

the idea of white privilege becoming a serious rally call in a country not built on slavery nor propogating the inequality of a society built on the subjugation of people of colour over hundreds of years nor existing as a de facto police state over those people of colour in order to keep them in line

well

the idea that someone on boards.ie would want to go die on a hill for the concept of white privilege in a country like ireland is so...its hilarious

you couldnt wear a woke badge big enough. the desperation to set yourself up as achingly woke is painful

lots wrong with ireland, but to wholesale import the ideology of the american online left really is emperor's new clothes stuff.

Yeah man, im livid here... my white privilege isn't working.

I think you doth protest too much.

Be nice if you could make some sort of substantial contribution because what you've produced so far has provided nothing and you've done precisely nothing to rebut a single point I've made.

A typical reaction of far right posters when they can't rebut a point is to shltpost.

Again, seeing as you deliberately missed it last time, I earn €219 a week as a full time carer.

So what you are saying is demonstrably utter nonsense.

Earlier you called me "the elite with all the power and all the money".

Now that's living in a fantasy land.

Your paranoia and conspiracy theorising is at Gemma O'Doherty levels.

You know some people can see through bs and your position in this whole thread is nonsense,constantly dropping hot button topics like "White Privilege" or "Trump"this and that,you are just trying to inflame and not actually debating,just spouting more or less the same thing over and over.

For someone on only 219 a week you sure are enjoying the Status Quo,you must be telling us lies here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cupatae wrote:
    When they believe in the mythical white privilege you know they are in fantasy land.

I wouldn't say it's mythical, at least worldwide, but in ireland, I think it is. Most of us are fecked, whatever colour we are here.

However, as a white male, and Irish, I definitely notice it when I travel by myself. We're treated better in a lot of countries around the world. I can travel to somewhere like the Middle East and experience far less hassle than a single female would, or a person who wasn't white (potentially East Asian also get this benefit as Chinese, Korean and Japanese tourists have money). Pretty much any country in the world is open to a white male tourist, and being Irish also helps here. There are some exceptions I wouldn't feel safe in but the vast majority I do feel I'd be treated better than someone of a different gender or colour.

In Ireland, as I said above, I don't agree with it being there.

the idea of white privilege becoming a serious rally call in a country not built on slavery nor propogating the inequality of a society built on the subjugation of people of colour over hundreds of years nor existing as a de facto police state over those people of colour in order to keep them in line

well

the idea that someone on boards.ie would want to go die on a hill for the concept of white privilege in a country like ireland is so...its hilarious

you couldnt wear a woke badge big enough. the desperation to set yourself up as achingly woke is painful

lots wrong with ireland, but to wholesale import the ideology of the american online left really is emperor's new clothes stuff.
    This is quite ironic because the entire strategy of far right posters on this forum is wholesale imported from America and they refuse to see it.

Lots of Fox News/Breitbart talking points, little else.

I went to a public school too, grew up in a lower middle class/working class area of Dublin and one thing I am not and never have been is flush with cash.

Denying white privilege is the elite, pro-establishment angle. It always has been and always will be.

What's your white privilege then chief? And what do you do to redress the imbalance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This is quite ironic because the entire strategy of far right posters on this forum is wholesale imported from America and they refuse to see it.

Did they block me or something? I haven't seen any far right yet. All have seemed left leaning to me, all against racism just disagreeing on how to resolve it

I wouldn't say it's mythical, at least worldwide, but in ireland, I think it is. Most of us are fecked, whatever colour we are here.

However, as a white male, and Irish, I definitely notice it when I travel by myself. We're treated better in a lot of countries around the world. I can travel to somewhere like the Middle East and experience far less hassle than a single female would, or a person who wasn't white (potentially East Asian also get this benefit as Chinese, Korean and Japanese tourists have money). Pretty much any country in the world is open to a white male tourist, and being Irish also helps here. There are some exceptions I wouldn't feel safe in but the vast majority I do feel I'd be treated better than someone of a different gender or colour.

In Ireland, as I said above, I don't agree with it being there.

I think its a racist and divisive made up statement that breeds resentment, the way your treated compared to other people could be attributed to many other factors... for example your Asian experience perhaps they got better tips from white people as a standard and thus focus them more in order to gain more themselves, the point im making tho is skin color has very little to do with it...

Wealth privilege and status privilege are real, i don't think JUST being white is going to cut the mustard anymore. Ive yet to meet someone thats been successful on the back of being white alone.

You have to be a troll account. There is no way your comments on this thread are serious.

• Advertisement

I think you doth protest too much.

Be nice if you could make some sort of substantial contribution because what you've produced so far has provided nothing and you've done precisely nothing to rebut a single point I've made.

A typical reaction of far right posters when they can't rebut a point is to shltpost.

Rebut what? i mean the stuff your coming out with is so nonsensical it nearly rebuts its self, if you've something half ways interesting to post i certainly would but so far all you ve done is rant on about everyone being right wing.

Advertisement