Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else getting scared of where society is going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

GarIT wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting scared of where society is going?.
    I am
    I think it is only matter of time before the coin flips over and then it will get really ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

surely the moral of the story is you shouldn't give guns to idiots?

stupid argument that got out of hand but I can't see the reason to pull a gun on someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Inequality has actually declined and continues to do so. But keep telling yourself that.

Data please?
    I want to believe but don’t - the way to reduce inequality is to raise interest rates which would hit asset values (including housing), and the Fed are not doing this.
    Plus they are backstopping failing companies by buying junk bonds, helping private equity, who typically run companies with too much debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Jizique wrote: »
    Data please?
    I want to believe but don’t - the way to reduce inequality is to raise interest rates which would hit asset values (including housing), and the Fed are not doing this.
    Plus they are backstopping failing companies by buying junk bonds, helping private equity, who typically run companies with too much debt.

Look closer to home and European interest rates. This is what affects your life.

(Unless you are American.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Data please?
    Household incomes have grown only modestly in this century, and household wealth has not returned to its pre-recession level. Economic inequality, whether measured through the gaps in income or wealth between richer and poorer households, continues to widen.
    Pew Research Centre

• Advertisement

Look closer to home and European interest rates. This is what affects your life.

Is thread not talking about America?

Lower European rates have caused asset bubbles, esp housing, in all countries; this helps the old and wealthy, who tend to own these assets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Is thread not talking about America?

No. Society in general. I'd be looking closer to home. Constantly watching America but ignoring what actually can affect your own life seems like a strange path

Not aimed at you specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

99% of the world is good..

Well maybe a bit less but you get the idea.

It’s easy to get sucked in and forget that though..

Watch less news, spend less time on social media, go out and enjoy nature and spend time with good friends.

The more you ignore all this bull**** the happier you will be.

This. Brilliant post.

People get too worked up over what they see on social media. Things they can't control. Cannot be healthy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's like people are trawling the internet looking for stuff to get anxious and outraged about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

padser wrote: »
    Also answer the question honestly, if you wake up tonight hearing noises indicating someone has broken into your house - is your thought really going go be "I'm so lucky I don't have a gun, that would make this situation much more dangerous for me???

No, I wouldn’t think so, and if I owned a gun I wouldn’t keep it under my pillow either because that’s not a safe place to keep a gun.

If I were the burglar in that scenario the first thing I would do is ensure my own safety too, so where does that leave you with your gun under your pillow and you’re fast asleep while I creep into your house with a gun and you’re asleep and I’ll make sure you don’t have the opportunity to interrupt my work?

Your gun is no use to you then.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Yawn. Bogus argument.

I owned 6 pistols when I lived in California.
    Id love to see anyone try to use one of them on me.

Most gun heads think they are Jesse James.... It's half the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

It does annoy me that media are once again running with this simplistic, completely mispreresentative narrative of "white woman charged after pulling gun on black family".

A lot of the videos I have seen online of the incident are completely edited to make it look more one dimensional than it really is, if you watch the full video, the black family are completely out of line and behaving like a gang of animals.

The woman who is now charged DOES attempt to de-escalate and walk away from the argument to the point that they mess with her car as she's leaving.

It sickens me that this is seen as a racist incident and some sort of victory for the downtrodden.

Homelander wrote: »
    It does annoy me that media are once again running with this simplistic, completely mispreresentative narrative of "white woman charged after pulling gun on black family".

I wouldn’t care if the people involved were purple with pink spots, if resorting to cocking a gun at someone when you’re only inches away from them comes into your head, then you’re the greater risk to society than the person you’re pointing the gun at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I saw the same video and it's shocking.

The white couples daughter accidentally bumped into the black woman's child and the black people completely over reacted.

It's getting very scary

I didnt see the video but I don't get the outrage. I understand the context etc, but you know, black people can be arseholes too.

And on another hand maybe that gives people an idea now what it must have been like for hundreds of years being black.

But in any case. This is in America. I try not to get too excited unless its happening here which it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's a factual statement: a white woman did indeed pull a gun on a black family. She was also charged.

What headline would you suggest as an alternative?

Personally I would prefer if the colour of those involved didn't always have to be broadcast but since both families appeared to mention race in the video it does seem relevant to the incident.

Neither group of people behaved particularly well in my opinion; but surely the act of drawing a firearm on someone and pointing it directly at them should not be in any way acceptable behaviour unless you are reasonably in fear of damage to life and limb. I'm not sure how this situation warranted that kind of response.

I wouldn’t care if the people involved were purple with pink spots, if resorting to cocking a gun at someone when you’re only inches away from them comes into your head, then you’re the greater risk to society than the person you’re pointing the gun at.

I simply don't believe that if this was a group of white people racially abusing a pregnant black woman, you'd say the pregnant woman was the bigger danger because she had to take out her gun to get away.

The woman who is now charged DOES attempt to de-escalate and walk away from the argument to the point that they mess with her car as she's leaving.

It sickens me that this is seen as a racist incident and some sort of victory for the downtrodden.

They could easily have driven away ..... They weren't blocked in front & back......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Why are we all so much more anxious and on edge these days?

not getting the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

_Brian wrote: »
    Throw into the mix a president who grew up in the home of a KKK member, who is likely a KKK supporter and is definitely just an all round piece of shiit racist. The longer they live under this president the gradually worse it will get.

Trump may be a **** president but blaming him for these issues is way off the mark. No matter his upbringing, his actions as president have not been racist. He didn’t say the right things to calm things down but he did not cause any of it.

What president in the last 50 years has been better for black people? One thing for sure, whoever wins the next election will not solve the race issues in the US and most likely will not even try.

• Advertisement

I simply don't believe that if this was a group of white people racially abusing a pregnant black woman, you'd say the pregnant woman was the bigger danger because she had to take out her gun to get away.

Why would I say that when there are a million other ways to get away before getting back out of the minivan and cocking a gun at someone?

After an angry, profanity-laced exchange, including accusations of racism and demands that the police be called, Ms. Wuestenberg returns to her minivan and says through a lowered window that “you cannot just walk around calling white people racist.”

“This is not that type of world,” she says. “White people aren’t racist. No one’s racist. I care about you. I care about you and I’m sorry if you had an incident that has made someone make you feel like that. No one is racist. I’m sorry if you had something like that happen.”

As she speaks, Ms. Hill repeatedly asks, “Why would you bump her?”

The camera briefly turns away from the minivan as it backs out of a parking spot, and the teenager shouts for her mother to watch out.

Ms. Hill then asks whether the couple were trying to hit her with the minivan, and hits the back of the vehicle with her hand. Ms. Wuestenberg exits the car holding a handgun and, using profanity, tells Ms. Hill to “get away.” She cocks the gun and points it at Ms. Hill, who is standing a few feet away.

Couple Charged After Videos Show White Woman Pulling Gun on Black Woman

What concerns me is the idea of pulling a gun on anyone, not something that should be done unless one intends to use it, and in that case if they intend to use it, then they should rightly face criminal charges.

What concerns me is the idea of pulling a gun on anyone, not something that should be done unless one intends to use it, and in that case if they intend to use it, then they should rightly face criminal charges.

And what concerns other people is that blatant racists get away with being racists.

You can be right and we can be right. Focusing on the gun and trying to make it the issue is the same as others focusing on the racists and making them the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why would I say that when there are a million other ways to get away before getting back out of the minivan and cocking a gun at someone?

After an angry, profanity-laced exchange, including accusations of racism and demands that the police be called, Ms. Wuestenberg returns to her minivan and says through a lowered window that “you cannot just walk around calling white people racist.”

“This is not that type of world,” she says. “White people aren’t racist. No one’s racist. I care about you. I care about you and I’m sorry if you had an incident that has made someone make you feel like that. No one is racist. I’m sorry if you had something like that happen.”

As she speaks, Ms. Hill repeatedly asks, “Why would you bump her?”

The camera briefly turns away from the minivan as it backs out of a parking spot, and the teenager shouts for her mother to watch out.

Ms. Hill then asks whether the couple were trying to hit her with the minivan, and hits the back of the vehicle with her hand. Ms. Wuestenberg exits the car holding a handgun and, using profanity, tells Ms. Hill to “get away.” She cocks the gun and points it at Ms. Hill, who is standing a few feet away.

Couple Charged After Videos Show White Woman Pulling Gun on Black Woman

Do you think pregnant women should be threatened with violence?

Obviously you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

She didn’t have to. She chose to. She could have stayed sitting in her car, that option was 100% available to her.

It wasn’t a “group” of black people either, it was one black woman and her teenage daughter, you’re using the word group to make it seem like a more dangerous situation than it was.

And what concerns other people is that blatant racists get away with being racists.

You can be right and we can be right. Focusing on the gun and trying to make it the issue is the same as others focusing on the racists and making them the issue.

What do you mean “trying to make it the issue”, it is the issue!

Racism is of course wrong either way and shouldn’t be excused or tolerated, and it isn’t, and neither is a civilian pulling a gun on another unarmed civilian. That’s not the reason they were ever permitted to carry a gun in the first place.

I’m less concerned about whether or not she’s racist, and more concerned about the fact that she pulled a gun because she was insulted by the thought of being called racist! Like ‘unhinged’ is any better? It’s certainly more accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ireland is one of the safest, most prosperous, places on planet Earth and we have broflakes here crying on the internet about the end of times.

Sure god love us.

Exactly, the forum is filled with and plagued by Chicken Lickens determined to believe the sky is falling.

Danzy wrote: »
    Do you think pregnant women should be threatened with violence?

Obviously you do.

Oh obviously, of course like :rolleyes:

KiKi III wrote: »
    She didn’t have to. She chose to. She could have stayed sitting in her car, that option was 100% available to her.

It wasn’t a “group” of black people either, it was one black woman and her teenage daughter, you’re using the word group to make it seem like a more dangerous situation than it was.

Kiki, the white woman could have had her ear sliced of Reservoir Dogs style and you would 100% without a shadow of a doubt say that pulling a gun was an overreaction. She could have been shot 75 times in the face and you'd be blaming her for reacting to racists out of fear.

I genuinely believe that. That's not hyperbole. You're comically biased and as such have no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

_Brian wrote: »

Throw into the mix a president who grew up in the home of a KKK member, who is likely a KKK supporter and is definitely just an all round piece of shiit racist. The longer they live under this president the gradually worse it will get.

Trumps first head of security was black hand picked by himself

Odd behaviour for a racist klansman I would have thought

• Advertisement

What do you mean “trying to make it the issue”, it is the issue!

Racism is of course wrong either way and shouldn’t be excused or tolerated, and it isn’t, and neither is a civilian pulling a gun on another unarmed civilian. That’s not the reason they were ever permitted to carry a gun in the first place.

I’m less concerned about whether or not she’s racist, and more concerned about the fact that she pulled a gun because she was insulted by the thought of being called racist! Like ‘unhinged’ is any better? It’s certainly more accurate!

Well the actual issue of this thread is that she is being branded a racist in the media when she clearly isn't.

Advertisement