Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else getting scared of where society is going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Kiki, the white woman could have had her ear sliced of Reservoir Dogs style and you would 100% without a shadow of a doubt say that pulling a gun was an overreaction. She could have been shot 75 times in the face and you'd be blaming her for reacting to racists out of fear.

I genuinely believe that. That's not hyperbole. You're comically biased and as such have no credibility.

Now you’re just talking nonsense. You have no answer to the two points I made, both of which were factual, so you’re attacking the poster rather than the post.

One of us is indeed “comically biased” and lacking in credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US does seem to be a law onto itself between its gun laws and having a deranged CIC, who'll happily exploit any divides to get reelected, doesn't help. Levels of tension at present would have been expected but as long as they remain somewhat isolated and Biden gets elected in November that should subside as the US finally begins looking at fixing the systemic issues they have.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Now you’re just talking nonsense. You have no answer to the two points I made, both of which were factual, so you’re attacking the poster rather than the post.

One of us is indeed “comically biased” and lacking in credibility.

She didn’t have to. She chose to. She could have stayed sitting in her car, that option was 100% available to her.

Right, because all people who are in fear act rationally. If you want to leave and get out of a potentially violent situation, and can't, the #1 thing that comes into your head is not "Oh I'm grand here. I'll just keep the doors locked."

It wasn’t a “group” of black people either, it was one black woman and her teenage daughter, you’re using the word group to make it seem like a more dangerous situation than it was.

It would likely be reported as a group or made sound worse if the races were reversed.

And yes, I have credibility compared to you. Your bias against white people is extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Levels of tension at present would have been expected but as long as they remain somewhat isolated and Biden gets elected in November that should subside as the US finally begins looking at fixing the systemic issues they have.

What makes you think that Biden will work on fixing those issues? no other president has, Democrat or Republican.

A new president will make no difference to black peoples lives. Obama was the hope but he was as useless as Trump.

She didn’t have to. She chose to. She could have stayed sitting in her car, that option was 100% available to her.

Right, because all people who are in fear act rationally. If you want to leave and get out of a potentially violent situation, and can't, the #1 thing that comes into your head is not "Oh I'm grand here. I'll just keep the doors locked."

It wasn’t a “group” of black people either, it was one black woman and her teenage daughter, you’re using the word group to make it seem like a more dangerous situation than it was.

It would likely be reported as a group or made sound worse if the races were reversed.

And yes, I have credibility compared to you. Your bias against white people is extreme.

Quote one post, from this thread or any other, where I demonstrate a bias against white people... I’ll wait.

It’ll be news to my entirely white family and 80% white friend group.

Glad you can recognise the woman with the gun was acting irrationally, the rest of your post on the races being reversed is baseless whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But she didn’t act out of fear? She acted out of retaliation. They could have drove away, but not only did the woman wind down her window to have a go again, she got back out of the minivan and pointed a gun at someone who was no credible threat to her whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Did it ever occur to you that the issue is in fact your bias in favour of white people; and as such you're seeing 'racism' against white people virtually everywhere?

jackboy wrote: »
    What makes you think that Biden will work on fixing those issues? no other president has, Democrat or Republican.

A new president will make no difference to black peoples lives. Obama was the hope but he was as useless as Trump.
    I don't think he will but he would usher in more of a period of calm where they can consider such things. Obama didn't have this issue as prominent as it is now and he had another vision he wanted to achieve. It will have to form part of what the next Presidency does. How people live on a micro level is for advocacy groups not presidents and it rarely changes. All they can do is try to make overall improvements.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Quote one post, from this thread or any other, where I demonstrate a bias against white people... I’ll wait.

It’ll be news to my entirely white family and 80% white friend group.

Glad you can recognise the woman with the gun was acting irrationally, the rest of your post on the races being reversed is baseless whataboutery.

You are of the opinion that white people should just shy away from black people's racism and quietly walk away. You don't even refute what happened and instead just say that he could done something different.

“There is nothing the man could have done better, and he lost his job because a black person decided to get angry and he was white.”

He could have just gone back into his house and shut the door.

And anyways, it's impossible to encapsulate a poster's entire identity in a quote. In every conversation you're in regarding white people, you're clearly against them.

You are of the opinion that white people should just shy away from black people's racism and quietly walk away. You don't even refute what happened and instead just say that he could done something different.

“There is nothing the man could have done better, and he lost his job because a black person decided to get angry and he was white.”

He could have just gone back into his house and shut the door.

And anyways, it's impossible to encapsulate a poster's entire identity in a quote. In every conversation you're in regarding white people, you're clearly against them.

So that’s a no. Not one quote in any thread that demonstrates a bias against white people yet you feel entirely comfortable throwing such baseless accusations around.

I’ve very clearly said on this thread that both groups behaved badly. You must have missed that part.

Have you heard the phrase “he brought a gun to a knife fight”? It implies an over-the-top reaction. Bringing a gun into a verbal argument is even more extreme.

• Advertisement

I don't think he will but he would usher in more of a period of calm where they can consider such things. Obama didn't have this issue as prominent as it is now and he had another vision he wanted to achieve. It will have to form part of what the next Presidency does. How people live on a micro level is for advocacy groups not presidents and it rarely changes. All they can do is try to make overall improvements.

Obama did also have race riots to deal with. The difference with the current race riots is the whites that joined in, made them worse and sustained them.

A spark like George Floyd can happen to any President. If an inspirational Black figure like Obama did nothing substantial to ease race tensions, an old uninspiring white guy is not going to do better.

Bias in favour of white people? Absolutely not and shame on you for even suggesting it. Would it not be a bit odd for a white supremacist to not step foot in a predominantly white country in over a decade?

You don't have to be a white supremacist to be biased in favour of white people. Biases exist in everyone to one degree or another; the trick is whether or not you're self aware enough to realise it and take steps to mitigate them.

It could also be argued that the fact you're currently a white man in a majority non-white country for a significant period of time could skew your own biases even further; similar to how other minority groups in other countries tend to feel that they aren't treated the same as everyone else.

Don't know why you'd decide to argue that. Anyways, I've been advised to cool it by PM so that's what I'll do. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

No. Society in general. I'd be looking closer to home. Constantly watching America but ignoring what actually can affect your own life seems like a strange path

Not aimed at you specifically

Grand, didn’t read full thread, just the first page

Don't know why you'd decide to argue that. Anyways, I've been advised to cool it by PM so that's what I'll do. Good luck.

Just trying to help you to see things from a different perspective. I would have tended to feel a lot like you when I was quite a bit younger; as I've gotten older I've learned to take a step back and realise that things are rarely as simple as they appear. And also that if you don't take the time to confront your own biases they only tend to fester and become worse over time.

Just some friendly advice.

Obama did also have race riots to deal with. The difference with the current race riots is the whites that joined in, made them worse and sustained them.

A spark like George Floyd can happen to any President. If an inspirational Black figure like Obama did nothing substantial to ease race tensions, an old uninspiring white guy is not going to do better.
    He's never going to be an inspiration but he's not Trump and he can provide the calmer environment for others to do so and to make changes. There are plenty of people itching to make things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Something else on a similar vein Orieachtas TV aried a discussion yesterday lasting over an hour in which a panel of all women talked about how a anything, run discussed, governed by mostly men is sexist. And they had general support.

There is a growing attitude of white people, especially white men being silenced if they don't agree they are awful. Success is now operation and equal opportunities isn't good enough, equal outcomes when the participants don't work equally is being desired.

He's never going to be an inspiration but he's not Trump and he can provide the calmer environment for others to do so and to make changes. There are plenty of people itching to make things happen.

Trouble is a lot of the people itching to make things happen are appalling people who are not capable and would have no qualms about destroying society. Most of them are filled with hate.

Trouble is a lot of the people itching to make things happen are appalling people who are not capable and would have no qualms about destroying society. Most of them are filled with hate.
    Indeed, we need the better angels ,as the expression goes, to find the most optimal solutions for all. Looking at the US it's very hard to see them getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If Biden is the best the Dems could come up with to put Trump out its not saying much.

Biden can't even remember what he's saying half the time.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Something else on a similar vein Orieachtas TV aried a discussion yesterday lasting over an hour in which a panel of all women talked about how a anything, run discussed, governed by mostly men is sexist. And they had general support.

There is a growing attitude of white people, especially white men being silenced if they don't agree they are awful. Success is now operation and equal opportunities isn't good enough, equal outcomes when the participants don't work equally is being desired.

White men form 80% of our government and you’re scared of them not having a voice, it’s totally irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If Biden is the best the Dems could come up with to put Trump out its not saying much.

He's a diabolical candidate, the Dems are in serious trouble

Biden can't even remember what he's saying half the time.
    It's who people in the party chose and it's called democracy. He looks to be in a good position to win at present so that'll do them nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

GarIT wrote: »

You watched an oireactas report for an hour?

As a white middle aged man I have no problem with more female participation in politics.

is_that_so wrote:
    It's who people in the party chose and it's called democracy. He looks to be in a good position to win at present so that'll do them nicely.

Democracy, in America, I think not!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    He's a diabolical candidate, the Dems are in serious trouble
    In somewhat less trouble than the buffoon in the White House so that lack of quality doesn't matter.

is_that_so wrote:
    In somewhat less trouble than the buffoon in the White House so that lack of quality doesn't matter.

Never underestimate that buffon, he has defied all odds to date, don't be surprised of a reelection

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Democracy, in America, I think not!
    20 odd people started out on the route to nomination and now there is one, based on voters, so yes that's democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't think he is a great candidate, I would have preferred someone younger, but he is still a million times better than Trump.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    20 odd people started out on the route to nomination and now there is one, based on voters, so yes that's democracy.

America is far from a democracy, it's a plutocracy disguised as a democracy, only nobody told the general population

Advertisement