Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else getting scared of where society is going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Never underestimate that buffon, he has defied all odds to date, don't be surprised of a reelection
    I'm now at over 50% against him being reelected but as an incumbent yes he still has a chance. That chance IMO is getting smaller and smaller but still a way to go though.

America is far from a democracy, it's a plutocracy disguised as a democracy, only nobody told the general population
    Eh, I'm talking about the primaries that got Biden to this point, not the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

is_that_so wrote:
    I'm now at over 50% against him being reelected but as an incumbent yes he still has a chance. That chance IMO is getting smaller and smaller but still a way to go though.

I would normally agree with your opinion but this is far from normal times, whereby the unusual is occurring more frequently, I certainly won't be surprised of a reelection, millions of voters love him, and they ll turn up on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

is_that_so wrote: »

He still has a chance, but that says more about the intelligence of large swathes of the American electorate than the ability of Trump as President.

joe40 wrote:
    He still has a chance, but that says more about the intelligence of large swathes of the American electorate than the ability of Trump as President.

I wouldn't class it as an intelligence issue, more a hatred issue of the establishment, which is understandable, since they've been fcuking over the average American since forever

• Advertisement

I wouldn't class it as an intelligence issue, more a hatred issue of the establishment, which is understandable, since they've been fcuking over the average American since forever

The republican party and Trump are very much part of the establishment.
    2016 was an incredible achievement convincing millions of Americans that a billionaire, reality TV star was a man of the people.

joe40 wrote:
    The republican party and Trump are very much part of the establishment. 2016 was an incredible achievement convincing millions of Americans that a billionaire, reality TV star was a man of the people.

Absolutely, both Dems and republicans are the establishment, the average Joe doesn't have political representation, and there's very little difference between both parties in regards policies, chomsky is spot on when he uses the term 'moderate republicans' to describe the dems, it ll be interesting to see what happens when trumps base finds out he's a conman, that's if they do figure it out

Absolutely, both Dems and republicans are the establishment, the average Joe doesn't have political representation, and there's very little difference between both parties in regards policies, chomsky is spot on when he uses the term 'moderate republicans' to describe the dems, it ll be interesting to see what happens when trumps base finds out he's a conman, that's if they do figure it out

Yeah, I fully agree with that. I'm no expert on American politics but the real power all seems tied up with money.
    Has there ever been an American president that wasn't independently wealthy beforehand? I don't know but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's who people in the party chose and it's called democracy. He looks to be in a good position to win at present so that'll do them nicely.

Yeah thats a great attitude to have, just get the other guy out even if the next one is another coffin dodger who doesn't even know whats going on half the time.

And people here think our political system is bad!

Yeah thats a great attitude to have, just get the other guy out even if the replacement is another coffin dodger who doesn't even know whats going on half the time.

And people here think our political system is bad!
    It's the reality of something nobody can change. Accepting that and hoping the least worst option prevails is a healthy attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

joe40 wrote: »
    2016 was an incredible achievement convincing millions of Americans that a billionaire, reality TV star was a man of the people.

Look at what the alternative was. Hillary Clinton!
    Hardly a woman for the common person either.

Bad choices in 2016 and bad choices again in 2020. Although Biden would be a much better choice than Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's an economist who put it simply: the voters had a choice between a candidate they knew was pushing the same old lies and candidate who they knew was a bull****ter

They chose the bul****ter over the liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

There are cops in the US now refusing to enforce the rule of law against black people for fear of the consequences. The bottom line is black people make up 18% of the population of the United States but are responsible for over 56% of all major crimes including rape, murder and drug offences. But yeah its all the fault of white people according to the current virtue signalling mob.

It's the reality of something nobody can change. Accepting that and hoping the least worst option prevails is a healthy attitude.

Its strange how in a country of 300 million people nearly all their Presidents for the last 40 years have been useless.

I thought Clinton was capable until we all found out what he really was behind closed doors, Obama talked a big game but achieved nothing after 8 years and now Trump is digging a bigger hole every day that he will never be able to climb out of.

Bambi wrote: »
    There's an economist who put it simply: the voters had a choice between a candidate they knew was pushing the same old lies and candidate who they knew was a bull****ter

They chose the bul****ter over the liar.

Now they Trump is a bull****ter and a Liar it will be interesting what they do this time round.
    On the coffin dodger jibe about Biden, Trump is no spring chicken, they're similar age I think.

Now they Trump is a bull****ter and a Liar it will be interesting what they do this time round.
    On the coffin dodger jibe about Biden, Trump is no spring chicken, they're similar age I think.

Read it again what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

ronivek wrote: »
    It's a factual statement: a white woman did indeed pull a gun on a black family. She was also charged.

What headline would you suggest as an alternative?

Just to address this, I said narrative, not headline.

Some places are pushing a narrative that conveniently omits certain details of the story to present a situation where some crazy white woman pulled a gun on a black family arising from a minor misunderstanding.

Not all - but certainly some. It's incredibly unethical journalism from some quarters who are eager to stoke the fires and create racial crimes or racists where none exist.

Headlines are rarely fully accurate as they need to be consist and broadly tell the story in one sentence. So, a headline like "white woman arrested for pulling gun on black woman" is actually fine by me, as long as the story is told fairly and impartially in the ensuing article.

Except that's not happening in many cases. I'm not claiming the woman was right in pulling a gun, but there was nothing remotely racist about the incident from her side, and there was an outrageous level of provocation from the other side who were behaving like complete scumbags as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This country in particular rural Ireland has gone to the pits years ago .... your called a racist now if you try stop travellers robbing your house .... law abiding have no rights in this country .

Read it again what I said.

Fair enough, I just read "coffin dodger" missed the word another. Sorry about that I did misinterpret your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Hillary was the establishment. If Trump was he wouldn't be fighting the establishment of both parties to get anything done.

• Advertisement

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Hillary was the establishment. If Trump was he wouldn't be fighting the establishment of both parties to get anything done.

trump is his own establishment, hes a malignant narcissist, theres only one person in his world, everything and everyone else is for the taking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The media are disgusting and many are waking up to it.

Absolutely agree....the media industry has morphed into a twitter mob with all the self righteousness and arrogance they have always had...anybody paying for information in this day and age would want to be asking themselves some serious questions....imagine paying money to a company that deliberately misinforms you just to keep you angry!!!!

Absolutely agree....the media industry has morphed into a twitter mob with all the self righteousness and arrogance they have always had...anybody paying for information in this day and age would want to be asking themselves some serious questions....imagine paying money to a company that deliberately misinforms you just to keep you angry!!!!

because free 'information' is always the truth and well informed!

because free 'information' is always the truth and well informed!

Who said that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Black or White most of the Americans live behind the fake American dream bull crap. Star spangled banner baby, we are patriots, USA USA USA. Yeah America controls the world but man, they suck.

Who said that?

no matter what trump says, theres not a big mad conspiracy of fake news in the msm, there is of course poorly formed opinions, like any source of information, and some well informed also. some paid services are probably well worth purchasing to gain access to these well informed sources

no matter what trump says, theres not a big mad conspiracy of fake news in the msm, there is of course poorly formed opinions, like any source of information, and some well informed also. some paid services are probably well worth purchasing to gain access to these well informed sources

Trump?....wasn't he the president that colluded with the Russians to beat Hillary?

The entire industry is in the gutter...the news cycle used to be daily, then hourly, now it is by the minute...they can't sustain this!

Trump?....wasn't he the president that colluded with the Russians to beat Hillary?

The entire industry is in the gutter...the news cycle used to be daily, then hourly, now it is by the minute...

the industry certainly is in a lot of trouble, a retired journalist i use to meet regularly a few years ago told me he believes the digitization of the industry has fcuked up the industry. when he was working, reporters were given time to research stories, that no longer occurs, stories are up online almost as soon as they become known, without any research being done, but there is till some good journalism being done, you do have to sometimes search for it though, and id imagine some of those sources are behind paywalls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

KiKi III wrote: »
    White men form 80% of our government and you’re scared of them not having a voice, it’s totally irrational.

It's not about them not having a voice. It's that a group of men discussing things wouldn't be allowed. Even men's rights organisations have been forced to include women in their discussion or risk having their bookings in venues cancelled or the meetings invaded and disrupted.

A group of women discussing issues that affect women is fine. They were discussing national issues too though, and that wouldn't be allowed if it was men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not about them not having a voice. It's that a group of men discussing things wouldn't be allowed. Even men's rights organisations have been forced to include women in their discussion or risk having their bookings in venues cancelled or the meetings invaded and disrupted.

A group of women discussing issues that affect women is fine. They were discussing national issues too though, and that wouldn't be allowed if it was men.

So what panel was this? Because I’m not aware of any all-female government panels. And what was the subject of the meeting?

Advertisement