Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Karen is refused entry to store for not wearing a mask headbutts door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yet people are "pearl clutching" by pointing out that a video of someone with mental illness is not cool but this is what you have an issue with?

You know Biko is not me, presumably? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't agree it means the same thing, it's still a bossy I want to see your manager type.

Plenty of recent examples, the woman in the park calling the police on a black man who asked her to put her dog on a leash, or the woman who challenged a man and called the cops for putting a chalk black lives matter on a small wall at her friends house ...it wasn't her friends house ...it was his...

Not in this context. The woman above is clearly unwell in some way.

jesus christ OP

if this was an Irish woman at the door of Penneys in O'Connell St. would you still be so mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That's what I am saying it isn't a "Karen" in my opinion. It's clearly a woman off her chops on something it also looks to have feck all to do with masks etc as I said I can't see anyone else in the video wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

OMG, I love the OP's threads, the CHAZ/CHOP thread was fab....

I don't know what it is with people and their need to film everything and share it. What gratification do they get from it? The only purpose of filming this woman was to humiliate her and for the video to go viral at her expense. IMO this woman looks as if she may be experiencing psychosis. How people are unable to differentiate between 'normal' behavior and that which exists external to reality, goes beyond me. People lose their morals and respect for the dignity of others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

The arboreal runt hosting the video is worse than the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Overheal wrote: »
    Awful load of pearl clutchers in here
    Overheal wrote: »
    The pearl clutching continues

Mod: @Overheal - don't post in the thread again. Post in this fashion again and I'll consider it as trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Is this a public figure of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's the kind of thing you most definitely need to record because the chances of this woman turning around and taking the store owners to court I'd imagine are pretty high. Publishing it on the other hand - not really nessecary.

As to the woman herself being mentally unstable or dangerous? Well, that would be for the arresting cops to decide initially, followed by the relevant social services team. Yes, we have no context; yes, we don't know what this woman is like at other times; but it's very possible this woman IS just an extreme "Karen" and normally a bit more stable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The YLYL candidate is the moron in the video espousing the "Karen" rubbish. Such passion. Such a pity for the likes of those the Spanish Inquisition is no more. Be right up his alley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Sad and very uncomfortable to watch. Televising both the psychotic breakdown and the observer's nastiness. Even though cameras are a big part of my life I sometimes honestly wish they had never been invented. Maybe the old people had it almost right - but it is the souls of many of their users that they steal.

The people on the inside aren't wearing masks.

She's unwell. This is disgusting.

Also the police are not trained or equipped for this. First responders in general aren't trained for this sort of thing.

The people on the inside aren't wearing masks.

She's unwell. This is disgusting.

Also the police are not trained or equipped for this. First responders in general aren't trained for this sort of thing.

Now I have Demolitino Man in my head - "we're polcie officers - we're not trained for this level of violence!"

Seriously, though - they are trained to restrain and hold people in this situation. You see it plenty of times in shows like Cops.

Now I have Demolitino Man in my head - "we're polcie officers - we're not trained for this level of violence!"

Seriously, though - they are trained to restrain and hold people in this situation. You see it plenty of times in shows like Cops.

You would have. But now cops has been cancelled because it's not right to glorify policemen until we can be sure it isn't problematic

They're not well trained for dealing with the mentally ill. You see it the whole time in the newspapers, when things go awry.

They're not well trained for dealing with the mentally ill. You see it the whole time in the newspapers, when things go awry.

No, but they'll be able to restrain until said professionals can get there. There's no point staying back until they get there if she does serious harm to herself or someone else in the meantime.

No, but they'll be able to restrain until said professionals can get there. There's no point staying back until they get there if she does serious harm to herself or someone else in the meantime.
    Not criticizing the individual police who turned up. Criticizing the fact that first responders in general aren't well trained in dealing with the mentally ill, and that police in the USA are used where other services might be more appropriate - which is an argument being used for defunding them.

Maybe field psychologists should be a thing.

I skipped through the video tbh. It gets uncomfortable quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if there are any more "karen" viral videos I wouldn't give them any credibility. You don't know if its a set up or the video has been edited to make the person's behaviour look worse

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The “Karen” term is a racist stereotype.

It’s getting boring now and needs to stop.

As Irish people have fought against the Paddy and Mick stereotype for years, I’m surprised anyone acknowledges it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

anewme wrote: »

As Irish people have fought against the Paddy and Mick stereotype for years, I’m surprised anyone acknowledges it.

It isn't racist would you stop!

• Advertisement

It isn't racist would you stop!

I see it the same as Wikipedia does.

Karen is a pejorative term used in the US and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others.

Why is the video entitled zombie Karen?

I’d say it’s based on the race and age assumption of the person involved?

Why would you think it is?

Oh right it's a racial thing.
    I didn't even get that.
    So it's like if a group of white people ridiculed a black lady having an episode and called her zombie shanice. And stuck it on the internet.
    Yeah that's not cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Karen is a pejorative term used in the US and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others.

You think everything is racist. It's a word used as a joke. The wiki you linked said that the stereotype is of a racist white women, not that the stereotype is racist.

You think everything is racist. It's a word used as a joke. The wiki you linked said that the stereotype is of a racist white women, not that the stereotype is racist.

Not sure where you are getting “ you think everything is racist”.

I haven’t posted about this or any race topic.

Not sure why others can’t see it for what it is.

Labelling people as racist because they fit a an age and race profile is in itself racist.

It’s not a joke either, it’s used here to belittle this woman because of her age and race to get likes and definitely fuel an Agenda. There is nothing funny about this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

Yes......She's got conservatism.........This is your brain on conservatism........

That doesn't say it's racist - it says that the "Karen" is stereotypically racist.

Nor does the useage imply that ALL middle-class white women are "Karens".

That doesn't say it's racist - it says that the "Karen" is stereotypically racist.

Nor does the useage imply that ALL middle-class white women are "Karens".

Not all, just those who dont conform to the Agenda.

I cant see any racist behaviour from the woman in the video, can you?

Edited to add....just read the entire thread and see others have already identified that "Karen" is a racial, misogynistic and ageist slur.

If this whole Karen craic persists I may end up doing a 'karen' if I ever hear someone using it in real life and beating the head off them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

it's sexist and racist, maybe ageist also

• Advertisement

Not sure where you are getting “ you think everything is racist”.

Not sure why others can’t see it for what it is.

I think it's because identifying it as racist requires factoring race into our judgment of non-white people. Some people (including myself) tend to be uncomfortable doing that because we don't think race should be a factor in our judgment of people. However race is obviously a factor in determining what is and is not racist, which is why I can say Mick and Paddy but I can't say the counterpart terms for other nationalities.

That is why I found my thought experiment useful, where I imagined that it was a group of white people ridiculing a black person. Objectively, I identify them as equivalent. However at an emotional level I react more negatively to my imaginary white group than the actual non-white group. Maybe that in itself is racist, in an condescending kind of way.

Advertisement