Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Karen is refused entry to store for not wearing a mask headbutts door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The BBC are at the craic now , needs to be balanced with how not to be insufferably woke? :D

https://twitter.com/BBCSounds/status/1279837698769825792

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

silverharp wrote: »
    The BBC are at the craic now , needs to be balanced with how not to be insufferably woke? :D

If you're worrying about how not to be a karen then you probably don't need to worry about being a karen. Better to put your energy into changing real issues outside yourself than scrutinising yourself for imperfections.

There was a video recently of a woman ringing the police in america claiming a black guy who was birdwatching and not causing anyone any trouble was threatening her or some sh!t. It was bonkers. So karens certainly do exist.

A reason for the surge in rightwing ideologies is:

conservatives seem to back each other up almost no matter what

while liberals often hop on each other over trivial stuff, or tie themselves up in excessive introspection.

Both attitudes are less than ideal, but the former is more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There was a video recently of a woman ringing the police in america claiming a black guy who was birdwatching and not causing anyone any trouble was threatening her or some sh!t. It was bonkers. So karens certainly do exist.

I read a bit more about this and what had happened before he started filming. The pair of them had words. She had the dog off the lead in an area where dogs must be on the lead. He told her to go to another area of the park where dogs did not have to be kept on the lead but she refused.

He then said - 'Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it.

He then beckoned the dog toward him and pulled out 'dog treats I carry for such intransigence'.

Now that choice of language plus calling the dog over, could be taken as a threat if you were on your own in a park - she had no idea what he was going to do to the dog or give it (but she was not going to like it) and it seemed to have tipped her over the edge and she went off calling the Police and choking the poor dog.

The problem with these videos is they pick up at a certain selective point and you never get to see the whole episode.

anewme wrote: »
    I read a bit more about this and what had happened before he started filming. The pair of them had words. She had the dog off the lead in an area where dogs must be on the lead. He told her to go to another area of the park where dogs did not have to be kept on the lead but she refused.

He then said - 'Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it.

He then beckoned the dog toward him and pulled out 'dog treats I carry for such intransigence'.

Now that choice of language plus calling the dog over, could be taken as a threat if you were on your own in a park - she had no idea what he was going to do to the dog or give it (but she was not going to like it) and it seemed to have tipped her over the edge and she went off calling the Police and choking the poor dog.

The problem with these videos is they pick up at a certain selective point and you never get to see the whole episode.
    Ok not a good example apparently, but everybody encounters people who abuse their social position sometimes, sometimes in ways that create awful trouble for other people. Not just demanding to talk to someone's manager or something trivial like that. It is good to call it out when it exists, but often people won't because they are concerned about the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ok not a good example apparently, but everybody encounters people who abuse their social position sometimes, sometimes in ways that create awful trouble for other people. Not just demanding to talk to someone's manager or something trivial like that. It is good to call it out when it exists, but often people won't because they are concerned about the consequences.

she told the police the man was threatening her life. he was trying to back away and she kept moving towards him. She was hoping for a suicide by cop.

she told the police the man was threatening her life. he was trying to back away and she kept moving towards him. She was hoping for a suicide by cop.

I havent watched it in a while, but I dont think she said he was threatening her life. She said he was threatening her and her dog.

Saying" you are not going to like it" and calling the dog over would be a threat in the eyes of many dog owners, especially if they have just had a row over the dog.

I havent watched it in a while, but I dont think she said he was threatening her life. She said he was threatening her and her dog.

Saying" you are not going to like it" and calling the dog over would be a threat in the eyes of many dog owners, especially if they have just had a row over the dog.

she lied to the police in her phone call. he was not threatening her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not all, just those who dont conform to the Agenda.

I cant see any racist behaviour from the woman in the video, can you?

Edited to add....just read the entire thread and see others have already identified that "Karen" is a racial, misogynistic and ageist slur.

Well, that's what "stereotypical" means. The word's not deigne to be a hard/fast rule. You could probably find black people, men and the young who could all be deemed "Karens".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

The internet is awash with these videos, there's a lot of ones of Karens attacking their black or brown neigbors, slinging the n-word.

Why are conservatives upset about the Karen videos. Lots of Karens have good jobs, where there are no skills involved except being conservative and "respectable". In conservatism bigotry and hatred are respectable. Stupidity is also "respectable" in conservatism, stupid people are good because they are too stupid to use their thoughts to change the world. They get angry when you call them stupid, because it undermines their respectability, but they highly value stupidity. They believe intelligent people are dangerous, and "weird". But they have all kinds of weird "values", like deliberately getting fat, to demonstrate they have higher sexual morals. An Irish Karen, is typically a conservative woman who has deliberately eaten herself into ugliness, and looks down on everyone who hasn't as some kind of criminal. "respectable" people. An Irish Karen will call the guards if she sees someone who isn't fat walk down the street, and they call the guards on black people all the time. Anyone who doesn't have the traditional Irish conservative "look".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

cyllyn28 wrote: »
    The internet is awash with these videos, there's a lot of ones of Karens attacking their black or brown neigbors, slinging the n-word.

Why are conservatives upset about the Karen videos. Lots of Karens have good jobs, where there are no skills involved except being conservative and "respectable". In conservatism bigotry and hatred are respectable. Stupidity is also "respectable" in conservatism, stupid people are good because they are too stupid to use their thoughts to change the world. They get angry when you call them stupid, because it undermines their respectability, but they highly value stupidity. They believe intelligent people are dangerous, and "weird". But they have all kinds of weird "values", like deliberately getting fat, to demonstrate they have higher sexual morals. An Irish Karen, is typically a conservative woman who has deliberately eaten herself into ugliness, and looks down on everyone who hasn't as some kind of criminal. "respectable" people. An Irish Karen will call the guards if she sees someone who isn't fat walk down the street, and they call the guards on black people all the time. Anyone who doesn't have the traditional Irish conservative "look".

An Irish Karen will call the garda if someone isn't fat? Is this completely from your imagination?

The usual Irish conservative look?

she lied to the police in her phone call. he was not threatening her.

I could well see how someone could take...Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it " while calling the dog over could be seen as as a threat.

I could well see how someone could take...Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it " while calling the dog over could be seen as as a threat.

she kept moving towards him. not the actions of a genuinely threatened person.

An Irish Karen will call the garda if someone isn't fat? Is this completely from your imagination?

I know they are talking about getting fat, but I wouldn't feed it.

Yeah, it does sound crazy. I couldn't understand conservatives for years, until I accepted they have crazy beliefs and they're the source of all kinds madness and chaos. Does it sound absolutely crazy that anyone would get deliberately fat to convey conservative respectability....Do conservatives actually do this. Conservatism is kind of twisted, people presumed to be sexually active or presumed to be drug users are deemed to have a lack of self control, whereas people who deliberately eat to make themselves less sexually attractive are deemed to be respectable. I've had too many weird experiences with conservatives, that I have to accept the crazy sound explanations are correct. I've had conservatives, out of the blue, call me a sexual pervert in public. Why do I believe they were conservatives, because simply, liberals do not call complete strangers sexual perverts.

Are you saying this "look" doesn't exist.........

Try living in a conservative small town in Ireland if you don't have the "look".

Yeah, it does sound crazy. I couldn't understand conservatives for years, until I accepted they have crazy beliefs and they're the source of all kinds madness and chaos. Does it sound absolutely crazy that anyone would get deliberately fat to convey conservative respectability....Do conservatives actually do this. Conservatism is kind of twisted, people presumed to be sexually active or presumed to be drug users are deemed to have a lack of self control, whereas people who deliberately eat to make themselves less sexually attractive are deemed to be respectable. I've had too many weird experiences with conservatives, that I have to accept the crazy sound explanations are correct. I've had conservatives, out of the blue, call me a sexual pervert in public. Why do I believe they were conservatives, because simply, liberals do not call complete strangers sexual perverts.

Try living in a conservative small town in Ireland if you don't have the "look".
    Obviously up to you whether you want to answer, but why do you think they called you a pervert?

The deliberately getting fat to look conservative idea seems a bit of a stretch.

Looks don't mean much. I wear conservative clothing and might even have the look you refer to, but I'm pretty liberal in my views.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I’m not condoning her behaviour, but while her behaviour is indicative of a person who is mentally unwell,

Or American.

Nobody will tell me to wear a mask, pow pow pow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think maybe you need to take it easy. You don't need to frame everything as conservative v liberal. Not everyone, even most won't fit into the boxes you have constructed. Whether liberal or conservative, one should have respect for fellow human beings which includes not stereotyping or having prejudice due to rigidly defined stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well, I think you have Conservative Theory down pat, we're all done here. :D

Jesus. Mary. Joseph the Carpenter... :pac::pac::pac:

I think maybe you need to take it easy. You don't need to frame everything as conservative v liberal. Not everyone, even most won't fit into the boxes you have constructed. Whether liberal or conservative, one should have respect for fellow human beings which includes not stereotyping or having prejudice due to rigidly defined stereotypes.

"It is old custom that enables people to live together peaceably; the destroyers of custom demolish more than they know or desire" -- Russell Kirk's Second Conservative Principle, "The Politics of Prudence", 1993.

• Advertisement

Obviously up to you whether you want to answer, but why do you think they called you a pervert?

I have no idea....But it's within a series of strange encounters in public, where people have made some strange interpretation about who I am or what I'm doing, and felt the need to tell me....I'm not prancing to the shops in a dayglo leotard. But maybe think there's something a little too sexy in how I walk. All of these experiences are weird, like the time I'm walking from my house in a suburb to the local shop, the guards pull up, and say they've got a call that someone is out exposing themselves to children. The only weird thing I'm doing is walking to the shop, which is weird to people who never go anywhere without their car. And at the time I'm dressed, in conservative office wear, shirt tie, etc.

Karens....I have friends in the American south. The metropolitan south can be very liberal, rural south is absolutely not. My friends are standing together just talking outside a strip mall, they're all white, and a Karen without any provocation, gets out of her car and starts ranting at them for being liberals. The whole thing is ridiculous. You could say she's insane, but her tirade was rural conservative anger....And my friends had heard this all before...The woman keeps insisting "all we do for you", she seems to think she's disrupting some political meeting. They don't respond, she eventually has enough and leaves. The Karens are getting caught on camera doing this stuff now, but they've doing it for ages. And the police in these places are typically married to Karens.

The deliberately getting fat to look conservative idea seems a bit of a stretch.

It does sound a stretch. But I'm kind of convinced about it now. The Victorians used to do it to convey conservative respectability. And it was a class distinction, the poor couldn't afford to get fat. Are they doing it deliberately; French writer Édouard Louis, maintains that his father deliberately ate himself to a state to convey bigness, masculinity, and conservatism, and that this is a culture in rural France, urban France he maintains being skinny is a signifier of being upper-middle-class, and being fat a signifier of being working class.....If being skinny or fat, were accidents, simply people adopting habits, then you'd see the same kinds of distributions everywhere. People deliberately try to become skinnier for the look, would people deliberately become fat to achieve some look too. One of my American friends in the south, was very fat, they decided to lose the weight, and now strangers call him a ******, and he's noticed people treating him with a little suspicion, like he's a social deviant. He's now the only person in his workplace who is not morbidly obese, as if it was some requirement for the job.

Looks don't mean much. I wear conservative clothing and might even have the look you refer to, but I'm pretty liberal in my views.

But this can be the other way round.....I know people who dress like hipsters and they are the most grinding conservatives you could ever meet.

jimgoose wrote: »
    "It is old custom that enables people to live together peaceably; the destroyers of custom demolish more than they know or desire" -- Russell Kirk's Second Conservative Principle, "The Politics of Prudence", 1993.

Periodic witch burnings, are not peaceful co-existence. Conservative communities tend to bond over ritual persecutions. Find yourself on the wrong side of small town gossip and your life can be made unlivable. In the Valley of the squinting windows, no one is ever happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

silverharp wrote: »

They deleted that post. I think they weren’t expecting such a negative reaction to it. :D I believe one of the participants got defensive on her own Twitter page about it.

I have no idea....But it's within a series of strange encounters in public, where people have made some strange interpretation about who I am or what I'm doing, and felt the need to tell me....I'm not prancing to the shops in a dayglo leotard. But maybe think there's something a little too sexy in how I walk. All of these experiences are weird, like the time I'm walking from my house in a suburb to the local shop, the guards pull up, and say they've got a call that someone is out exposing themselves to children. The only weird thing I'm doing is walking to the shop, which is weird to people who never go anywhere without their car. And at the time I'm dressed, in conservative office wear, shirt tie, etc.

Well I can honestly say that's one of the creepiest paragraphs I've ever read on boards.

They deleted that post. I think they weren’t expecting such a negative reaction to it. :D I believe one of the participants got defensive on her own Twitter page about it.

**** has really hit the fan over that.

Great to see people hitting back and not tolerating racism. White women need to "get out of the way". It was described as sexist, racist and condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

**** has really hit the fan over that.

Great to see people hitting back and not tolerating racism. White women need to "get out of the way". It was described as sexist, racist and condescending.

It seemed to unite people across the political spectrum in saying “WTF?”. Two white women telling white women what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Periodic witch burnings, are not peaceful co-existence. Conservative communities tend to bond over ritual persecutions. Find yourself on the wrong side of small town gossip and your life can be made unlivable. In the Valley of the squinting windows, no one is ever happy.

Who are we talking about here...

Rejected by the Stonecutters, were we? :D

• Advertisement

I think the opposite of this is more common in Ireland. The social norm is to ignore a large amount of bad behaviour by our neighbours, even when it impacts on us. Addressing it in appropriate and legal ways tends to raise more eyebrows than putting up with it.

It is possible to find yourself on the wrong side of members of the establishment and to suffer as a result. But that is a different context to what you described.

The ritual ganging up used to happen among children and teenagers when I was a kid/teenager. Seemed like a local phenonomen, as I didnt observe it much in different groups. But that is also a different context.

One place where I've observed the ritual ganging up on people is on this very site. It used to happen frequently enough tbh. Not so much now, since the userbase has grown up and it has become more like a business and less like a community in general.

Advertisement