Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Meds taken, dinner packed, time for the trundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

@ Phoenix, enjoy!! Aberdeen is a lovely city. Granted its like a decade since I was there but I loved it, very old school place, lovely market on Saturdays, if that's still going on nowadays. Pubs were magic too, really nice people as well. I loved it there. I like Scotland in general though anyway. And by jaysus a girl with a Scottish accent is an attractive combination, best accent in the world imo.

Anyway, I'm just in the door from a days fishing. Long story short(ish), a few weeks ago I found this really overgrown stretch of canal off the beaten track which is what I love when fishing, just timed it to be there for the sun rising on a Friday morning on a day off work a few weeks ago and the fog/mist was rising off the canal and I strolled down it with all my fishing gear and it was beautiful sitting there without a sound apart from the birds chirping. It ended up being my best ever days fishing, I was catching bream the size of a giant wok and plenty of them, it was unreal. So I sent all the pics of the fish to a friend who's into fishing and he was saying you have to bring me with you next time. (as a by the way, I wouldn't have it in my nature to hurt a living creature so all fish went back alive and safe).
    So anyway we planned this for weeks, today was the day. Roughly 120 quids worth of groundbait, bait, tackle, enough sandwiches to feed an army, etc later and I got up at 5.30am this morning and I'm having brekkie and listening to Temper Trap Sweet Disposition up full blast in the kitchen and all made up for the day ahead. We packed enough stuff to sink a ship, all set for 13 hours marathon of fishing and I had said to him, we'll catch huge ones here, purely based on my last outing.
    So off we went. Got there in the dark, sun came up, beautiful setting. First fish was the size of your hand and I laughed and said don't worry they'll get bigger over the hours.
    So anyway, next one was slightly smaller and next one smaller and so on.... eventually we were catching fish smaller than a goldfish.
    9 hours later after 23 goldfish had been caught, we gave up. No idea why it went from so good to so bad in that few weeks but I've never seen fish as small as these :D If you had a tadpole and doubled it in size, yer not far off :D
    He laughingly accused me of bringing him to the wrong place deliberately to keep the good spot from last time for myself :pac:
    Beautiful day though, the right hand side of my face has turned a sun-kissed pink and the left hand side looks no different than it did prior to the goldfish fishing.
    In the sunroom now and sipping a craft beer and listening to The Zombies - Time of the season, great song. Dinner is in the oven. I kinda fancied getting a take away but I'm gone right off fish and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hope you feel better than yesterday, Grem.

Been foostering about my bedroom having a tidy round, sort out and vacuum. Will be ironing shortly then off to the bathroom for some personal grooming.

The life of a style icon is never as glamorous as it looks from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Fireside after another glorious day, great 7 km walk earlier in fantastic Autumn sunshine albeit with a nip in the air but one of those fantastic day's for a brisk walk. Settled down for the night now catching up on a few bits online and about to consume a nice cool bottle of beer from the fridge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

NewRed2 wrote: »
    @ Phoenix, enjoy!! Aberdeen is a lovely city. Granted its like a decade since I was there but I loved it, very old school place, lovely market on Saturdays, if that's still going on nowadays. Pubs were magic too, really nice people as well. I loved it there. I like Scotland in general though anyway. And by jaysus a girl with a Scottish accent is an attractive combination, best accent in the world imo.

Anyway, I'm just in the door from a days fishing. Long story short(ish), a few weeks ago I found this really overgrown stretch of canal off the beaten track which is what I love when fishing, just timed it to be there for the sun rising on a Friday morning on a day off work a few weeks ago and the fog/mist was rising off the canal and I strolled down it with all my fishing gear and it was beautiful sitting there without a sound apart from the birds chirping. It ended up being my best ever days fishing, I was catching bream the size of a giant wok and plenty of them, it was unreal. So I sent all the pics of the fish to a friend who's into fishing and he was saying you have to bring me with you next time. (as a by the way, I wouldn't have it in my nature to hurt a living creature so all fish went back alive and safe).
    So anyway we planned this for weeks, today was the day. Roughly 120 quids worth of groundbait, bait, tackle, enough sandwiches to feed an army, etc later and I got up at 5.30am this morning and I'm having brekkie and listening to Temper Trap Sweet Disposition up full blast in the kitchen and all made up for the day ahead. We packed enough stuff to sink a ship, all set for 13 hours marathon of fishing and I had said to him, we'll catch huge ones here, purely based on my last outing.
    So off we went. Got there in the dark, sun came up, beautiful setting. First fish was the size of your hand and I laughed and said don't worry they'll get bigger over the hours.
    So anyway, next one was slightly smaller and next one smaller and so on.... eventually we were catching fish smaller than a goldfish.
    9 hours later after 23 goldfish had been caught, we gave up. No idea why it went from so good to so bad in that few weeks but I've never seen fish as small as these :D If you had a tadpole and doubled it in size, yer not far off :D
    He laughingly accused me of bringing him to the wrong place deliberately to keep the good spot from last time for myself :pac:
    Beautiful day though, the right hand side of my face has turned a sun-kissed pink and the left hand side looks no different than it did prior to the goldfish fishing.
    In the sunroom now and sipping a craft beer and listening to The Zombies - Time of the season, great song. Dinner is in the oven. I kinda fancied getting a take away but I'm gone right off fish and chips.

Sounds great, used to go tench fishing in this wild pond at day break, mirror calm, smoke faeries of mist on the the pond surface, oh the anticipation...

As for the Scottish accent on a girl, I love it...

Sitting on the couch having a wine after the longest run I think I'll ever ever do, it was perfect weather and it was for charity...

Our hurling club is in the county final, we haven't won it in 83 years !!
    The nerves are kicking in...
    Wish us luck everyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In , can't warm up at all today .

Grem ,know you're going to work but take it as easy on yourself as you can .

Gone Home , good to see you back posting.

4AD, fingers crossed for ye , which county?

4Ad wrote: »
    Sounds great, used to go tench fishing in this wild pond at day break, mirror calm, smoke faeries of mist on the the pond surface, oh the anticipation...

Ah yeah that's it exactly, and nicely described by the way! It's pure magic!
    Wonderful feeling, day break fishing is just a joy, yer full of hope about the day ahead but at the same time loving the way you're away from life, it's like the world stops for a while and you're just sitting there in pure peace and calm and the stress of yesterday just melts away as the float bobbles under, it's bliss.
    Best time of the day by a mile is day break water side and the water like a sheet of glass with that lovely fog coming from the water.
    Tench are a lovely fish but for some reason I never caught many of them, bream I seem to catch alright, even though the techniques and places you'd go for both are similar. The bream I caught the last time were just monsters but today I'd say if a tench took a fart the bubbles would be bigger than the little tiddler roach we were catching. One of those days....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Much wild beeping of car horns in town, club game went the right way for some locals it seems :) Deskside listening to Jenny Greene ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭thomil

Home blogside, making the best of the fact that my writer's block seems to have packed up for the time being.

Oh, and in the process of demolishing one of these beauties: https://www.austriansupermarket.com/sweets-snacks/wafers/manner-original-neapolitan-wafers-4-pcs

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

Listening to Cilla Black "knowing I love you" now while sipping an O Haras craft beer in the sunroom. Right so I'll freely say I like a couple of Cilla Black's songs. I'd get shot dead by most of my mates for saying that, well I only have a few anyway, so that's 2 people out of 3, but I liked her stuff.
    It's actually a cracking song and she gives it proper welly, sorta like modern day Adele does but she's dreary as fook so I'd prefer Cilla. Maybe it goes back to my love of anything to do with Liverpool and someone once told me that at one stage 4 of the top 5 singles in the UK were once all from Liverpool, between The Beatles(twice), Cilla and another band who's name I've forgotten. I'm not sure if that's true but I love it. Liverpool is, and always has been a wonderful place.
    Anyway..............
    So anyway usually I'd listen to one Cilla song and then jump away to other bands and back to Cilla's other song and stuff.
    But tonight I listened to Cilla's two songs back to back and there's a weird pattern...
    From Knowing I love you:
    1) Anyone who had a heart would love me, why wont you?
    2) I take you back - Without you I'd die dear
    From You're my world:
    1) you're my world, you're my night and day
    2) you're my world, you're every breath I take
    3) If our love ever ceases to be, its the end of the world for me

I know they were different times back then but no feminism medals going for our Cilla :D
    Tad needy with the auld lyrics.

I'm away now to have another beer and listen to The Police "every breath you take I'll be watching" Feckin stalkers :D

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Gone Home , good to see you back posting.

Thanks Mam, serious broadband issues in the area for the past couple of months, seems to have resolved itself for now, on the plus side it gave me a great excuse to tear into the pile of books that were waiting to be read, good to be back :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Deskside watching only fools and horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do you prefer Grandad or Uncle Albert?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

About to watch Beverly Hill Cop 3 here

Maybe it goes back to my love of anything to do with Liverpool and someone once told me that at one stage 4 of the top 5 singles in the UK were once all from Liverpool, between The Beatles(twice), Cilla and another band who's name I've forgotten. I'm not sure if that's true but I love it. Liverpool is, and always has been a wonderful place.
    Anyway..............

Gerry and the Pacemakers.Also managed by Brian Epstein along will Cilla and The Beatles. He knew a thing or two about talent, did Brian and we could do with someone of his calibre again.

Time for my hose down. Might listen to Cilla while I wash my hair.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Gerry and the Pacemakers.Also managed by Brian Epstein along will Cilla and The Beatles. He knew a thing or two about talent, did Brian and we could do with someone of his calibre again.

Time for my hose down. Might listen to Cilla while I wash my hair.

Wash that man right out of your hair style!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you prefer Grandad or Uncle Albert?

Grandad, although Albert is hilarious at times.

Bet you still laughed eventhough you might have seen the same episode before..brilliant comedy..

4Ad wrote: »
    Bet you still laughed eventhough you might have seen the same episode before..brilliant comedy..

Well I've seen episodes here and there before not many of them but it was actually my first time watching it all in order, on series 7 atm, brilliant comedy, I now understand why it's so loved!

Wow! I tip my hat to you. I've no idea who you are but what an answer!!!!
    Majorly impressed here :cool:
    Yeah plus admittedly sloppy of me to forget that coz G&PM are the ones who sing You'll Never Walk Alone. After all my Liverpool talk.

Cracking answer. I think that's my favourite post on boards in a long while.
    If you didn't google that and just knew then that's majorly impressive.
    Fair fooks!

• Advertisement

Couchside, one of them times when I'm trying to find a song for the moment, I cant it...
    Hmm I'll keep searching.
    Gone from Makem and Clancy to Twilight Sad !!

Wow! I tip my hat to you. I've no idea who you are but what an answer!!!!
    Majorly impressed here :cool:
    Yeah plus admittedly sloppy of me to forget that coz G&PM are the ones who sing You'll Never Walk Alone. After all my Liverpool talk.

Cracking answer. I think that's my favourite post on boards in a long while.
    If you didn't google that and just knew then that's majorly impressive.
    Fair fooks!

I'm blushing here. I'm a massive Beatles fan, so that's how I know that.

I'm blushing here. I'm a massive Beatles fan, so that's how I know that.

I love them too but it's not often you'd get an answer like that on here. Have you ever gone to the Cavern in Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I just blasted off Lock Up with Stallone. Really enjoying these movies over the last few nights.:D I also found out tonight that a mickey mouse film I made 13 odd years ago was ripped off on a bigger budget 7 years ago. I'm laughing my head away about it.:D

A lot of you on the old classics buzz, be it music, movies or shows, it's good to see :)

Have you ever gone to the Cavern in Liverpool?

I'm off to bed soonish but wudda loved to have heard if Sardonicat has gone over to see The Cavern, hopefully he/she has.
    And for anyone else who ever finds themselves in Liverpool you should go see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

couchside, back at my folk's house for the weekend, really missed the cats as didn't see them last weekend. I saw the missing episode of casualty that the BBC didn't show in May, very dramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Couchside, heating on. Watching Dr Pimple Popper.
    Sliding a huge bowl of O'Donnells cheesiest of cheese and onion crisps to Sephers...

@ NerRed I've never been to Liverpool. It's on my ever increasing list. The current Cavern isn't the original is it? It was located across the road from where the one is now, AFAIK. Perhaps you could clarify that. I would love to see the house on Mendip Avenue where John Lenton grew up and see the porch where he and Paul would practice for the acoustics it provided. Wouldn't it have been something to come of age in the early 60s in Liverpool ? I've a story about my aunt who went to work there as a 14 year old at that time but I won't share it here. Let's just say I was very disappointed in her. Clearly the cool skipped over the generation before mine.

Oh, Sardonicat is a she.

Had a good old pack of tayto earlier, wished i had bread and butter for it :pac:

• Advertisement

Cat central here as well, she's panned out in front of the stove, just watched the episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionare of the man winning a million last week

GoneHome wrote: »
    Cat central here as well, she's panned out in front of the stove, just watched the episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionare of the man winning a million last week

Isn't he just fabulous? I was so happy for him, he seemed so genuine and down to earth.

I had a lovely evening with our cat too. I didn't turn on the TV today, I was in a quiet mood. Was reading a book stretched off on the sofa and had my hand down the side rubbing and petting her. She had a new purr tonight that sounded like snoring so I think my belly rubs went down a treat with her. She goes into a shed to bed so I just put her out now with a feed of chicken scraps.

Isn't he just fabulous? I was so happy for him, he seemed so genuine and down to earth.

Asolutely, he was totally unfazzed by the whole thing, great to see it

I had a lovely evening with our cat too. I didn't turn on the TV today, I was in a quiet mood. Was reading a book stretched off on the sofa and had my hand down the side rubbing and petting her. She had a new purr tonight that sounded like snoring so I think my belly rubs went down a treat with her. She goes into a shed to bed so I just put her out now with a feed of chicken scraps.

Our little one stays out during the day doing her own thing in the morning etc but then come about 3 in the afternoon she comes in and goes to sleep at the bottom of our bed, gets up again after 2 or 3 hours and stays outside til 11 or 12, hence shes in here now sound asleep in front of the stove for the night :)

I miss cats, our local lad died recently, his poor people.. Wonder how the lads would feel about an office cat? Hmm.

@ NerRed I've never been to Liverpool. It's on my ever increasing list. The current Cavern isn't the original is it? It was located across the road from where the one is now, AFAIK. Perhaps you could clarify that. I would love to see the house on Mendip Avenue where John Lenton grew up and see the porch where he and Paul would practice for the acoustics it provided. Wouldn't it have been something to come of age in the early 60s in Liverpool ? I've a story about my aunt who went to work there as a 14 year old at that time but I won't share it here. Let's just say I was very disappointed in her. Clearly the cool skipped over the generation before mine.

Oh, Sardonicat is a she.

Its lovely talking to someone with knowledge like you about these things. Well first off you HAVE to go see Liverpool. It's an amazing city, just steeped in culture and bundles of fun. They're working class funny people, no bull-crap about them. And a Beatles fan like you would LOVE it!! Ya gotta go. After covid passes just look up the football fixtures and select a weekend where Liverpool are playing AWAY from home coz when Liverpool are playing at home the flight prices sky-rocket so if you pick a weekend when Liverpool are away from home the prices of flights get cut in half.
    We went over for 60 quid each one weekend. I mean I got charged close to that to go to Claremorris on a train once for a bank holiday. I'd sorta prefer Liverpool.

Well theres the cavern and cavern club. So they're 2 places but beside each other. The one yer after is the one with the spiral stair case down through a cave basically and when you hit the bottom they have a bar and live music from Beatle tribute bands and that's the very stage the Beatles started out on, Its the one where they played their gigs back in the day. Yes this one is definitely the original.
    The other is best avoided to put it politely.
    but theres Beatles stuff everywhere when you get to the nearby streets, all marked with plaques, statues and other things, theres even a Beatles tour where they'd bring ya round and show you this and that but ya can do it yerself.
    Not to mention a trip across the Mersey and go see Anfield while yer there. Plus The Docks are fab.
    For someone who's clearly knowledgeable about The Beatles and culture, music, Liverpool is a weekend you'd never forget.

Just thinking now, surely if anyone from Liverpool is reading this I could get a job on yer tourism board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

In the bed feeling happy and contented with a big life decision I've made.

Don't feel that tired but a good sleep will be nice. May your sleep be sound and your dreams pleasant. Goodnight earthlings.

Onshuh wrote: »
    In the bed feeling happy and contented with a big life decision I've made.

Don't feel that tired but a good sleep will be nice. May your sleep be sound and your dreams pleasant. Goodnight earthlings.

Oh nice one, onwards and upwards ;)

• Advertisement

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Couchside, heating on. Watching Dr Pimple Popper.
    Sliding a huge bowl of O'Donnells cheesiest of cheese and onion crisps to Sephers...

Too kind! Decking love O'Donnell's!

I miss cats, our local lad died recently, his poor people.. Wonder how the lads would feel about an office cat? Hmm.

Office cat would be brilliant! You could spend your night dangling string in front of them and playing with them , giving belly rubs, imagine the purrs you'd get and the Headbutts :3 😸!

I'll be more convincing while i plot to take over the world with a cat beside me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Its lovely talking to someone with knowledge like you about these things. Well first off you HAVE to go see Liverpool. It's an amazing city, just steeped in culture and bundles of fun. They're working class funny people, no bull-crap about them. And a Beatles fan like you would LOVE it!! Ya gotta go. After covid passes just look up the football fixtures and select a weekend where Liverpool are playing AWAY from home coz when Liverpool are playing at home the flight prices sky-rocket so if you pick a weekend when Liverpool are away from home the prices of flights get cut in half.
    We went over for 60 quid each one weekend. I mean I got charged close to that to go to Claremorris on a train once for a bank holiday. I'd sorta prefer Liverpool.

Well theres the cavern and cavern club. So they're 2 places but beside each other. The one yer after is the one with the spiral stair case down through a cave basically and when you hit the bottom they have a bar and live music from Beatle tribute bands and that's the very stage the Beatles started out on, Its the one where they played their gigs back in the day. Yes this one is definitely the original.
    The other is best avoided to put it politely.
    but theres Beatles stuff everywhere when you get to the nearby streets, all marked with plaques, statues and other things, theres even a Beatles tour where they'd bring ya round and show you this and that but ya can do it yerself.
    Not to mention a trip across the Mersey and go see Anfield while yer there. Plus The Docks are fab.
    For someone who's clearly knowledgeable about The Beatles and culture, music, Liverpool is a weekend you'd never forget.

Just thinking now, surely if anyone from Liverpool is reading this I could get a job on yer tourism board?

I lived near Liverpool all my early /mid life. Hard to see it as a tourist attraction! roflol.... I once kept a friend company to go to a Beatles concert; all I remember is the shocking crowds and someone in high heels stabbing my foot. There was no hearing the concert through the SCREAMS. Never again.

Oh loved the Cathedrals. One at each end of Hope Street. So very different.

Else it was just where, alternating with Manchester, that we went shopping for clothes etc. Hole of a place really! I would never dream of going back unless I were paid a huge sum and even then I would baulk .

Office cat would be brilliant! You could spend your night dangling string in front of them and playing with them , giving belly rubs, imagine the purrs you'd get and the Headbutts :3 😸!

If you really want to delight them , let me send you one of the catnip toys I make! Even the oldest, most sedate cats go delightfully and hilariously gaga...

Not in a good place. Woken at 2 am by the collie up the lane having a barkathon . I bought a "silent" training whistle a while back and it seemed to work..it is a rare event these days so I hope all is well up there. Now I cannot settle .

World events have me sorrowfully rattled; unusual for me. London.

May hibernate a while. Rather than afflict others.. :eek:

Stay well! Stay safe!

Anyone wants knitted comforts made. pm or email! My knitting is a well- channelled nervous twitch after all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Graces7, surely you can’t hibernate anymore than at present ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got informed last night that we now have to do 3 swab tests before being allowed back on duty, so I’m stuck in isolation for another 4 days. Ugh.... this will also destroy the fast home rotation that we had, so mutt won’t be impressed.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Got informed last night that we now have to do 3 swab tests before being allowed back on duty, so I’m stuck in isolation for another 4 days. Ugh.... this will also destroy the fast home rotation that we had, so mutt won’t be impressed.

Added level of thoroughness due to international travel?.

Favourite time of the year, sunny, frosty, slightly cold mornings!
    Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Afternoon all :) Lovely day out :) deciding what to have for lunch :)

Happy Sunday!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement