Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Only a pup Grem :)

Bork bork :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Someone asked up thread what my new book is, it's Champagne Football.
    I don't think libraries are currently fully functioning so I had to buy this one but I don't mind because I can't be without a book.

Oooooooooh delaney, wonder will it be an unbiased account, heard nothing much about it

I don't think libraries are currently fully functioning so I had to buy this one but I don't mind because I can't be without a book.

You're after reminding me of Footballers Wives! My guilty viewing pleasure back in the day. And Dream Team! I don't even like football.

3d4life wrote: »
    Anyone here have an insight into the economics of running a boarding kennel

Don't know anything about the running of one, but did see a boarding kennels up for sale, business & 2 bed house for 160,000 on the mayo/Sligo border. If I was nearer my retirement I would seriously think about buying it!

Saw The National in the Iveagh Gardens a few years ago, amazing, like watching them in someone's garden, fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Think I should change my name to Granny Cat!

Yeah, I'd love that job too, Red. I'd definitely like to take over from whatever musical illiterate committed several crimes against Kate Bush on 'Hsndmaid's Tale' Having said that, I doubt Kate's complaining!

Hmmm, who thinks 'Running Up That Hill' would make an excellent sound track for the scene where Sardi irons a shirt for Grumpy? I shall test it out and feed back anon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I've gone bedside.

Been a long week.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Think I should change my name to Granny Cat!

Yeah, I'd love that job too, Red. I'd definitely like to take over from whatever musical illiterate committed several crimes against Kate Bush on 'Hsndmaid's Tale' Having said that, I doubt Kate's complaining!

Hmmm, who thinks 'Running Up That Hill' would make an excellent sound track for the scene where Sardi irons a shirt for Grumpy? I shall test it out and feed back anon....

Your dad is a great age at 89 Sardicat. Mine will be 78 next week. They become like very bold children at that age! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

am watching the late late show :)

am glad to be having a few headache-free days (was this day last week when I had the last one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭3d4life

...... Mine will be 78 next week. They become like very bold children at that age! :D

*** Reports post

:(

*** Reports post

Are you 78 3d or offended on behalf of all 70 + year olds? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A Documentary based on that book is on Virgin Media One next Tuesday. A must watch for me! Delaney was a bollix and I can vouch for that, like his father before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the running of one, but did see a boarding kennels up for sale, business & 2 bed house for 160,000 on the mayo/Sligo border. If I was nearer my retirement I would seriously think about buying it!

Saw The National in the Iveagh Gardens a few years ago, amazing, like watching them in someone's garden, fantastic!

Yeah I'd echo that, I'd love to pack in work and look after animals, It's always been my dream to have a little animal sanctuary and the minding of pets to help fund it. Kinda nice to hear others saying something remotely similar.
    One day hopefully. I'd want a few donkeys to mind. Beautiful creatures and so often mistreated by humans.

But as a stand alone business kennels for dogs etc would be tough going I'd imagine in terns of profits and a wage. So for the person asking, do a LOT of research first.

Your dad is a great age at 89 Sardicat. Mine will be 78 next week. They become like very bold children at that age! :D

Grumpy is more like Harry Enfield's Kevin: grunts in response to questions, tantrums when asked to do something he doesn't want to do, constantly whinging and an absolute delight brimming over with articulate conversation sprinkled with anecdotes with everyone else. I didn'tissue put on motherhood at all. Oh no.

I'd better get this shirt done or there'll be more melodrama than an Eastender's omnibus.

Are you 78 3d or offended on behalf of all 70 + year olds? :p

and now you compound the whole thing such a question :mad:

I'm off to put on my grumpy pants

:D

*** Reports post

yer joking right?

Grumpy is more like Harry Enfield's Kevin: grunts in response to questions, tantrums when asked to do something he doesn't want to do, constantly whinging and an absolute delight brimming over with articulate conversation sprinkled with anecdotes with everyone else. I didn'tissue put on motherhood at all. Oh no.

I'd better get this shirt done or there'll be more melodrama than an Eastender's omnibus.

Sometimes those closest get the brunt of the frustration and whatever else is going on.
    My mother used to lash out at dad in the early stages of her dementia. Hard to see and take.
    We'd give anything to have her giving out now though.

NewRed2 wrote: »
    yer joking right?

Yes :D

A shed load of copies will be at a library near you at some stage

• 1 copy ordered for Fingal Baldoyle Non Fiction on 04-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Fingal Donabate Non Fiction on 04-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Fingal Howth Non Fiction on 04-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Fingal Swords Non Fiction on 04-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Ballyfermot Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Cabra Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Coolock Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Donaghmede Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Finglas Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Kevin Street Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Pembroke Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Raheny Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Rathmines Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Terenure Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Walkinstown Non Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin Ballyroan Non-Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin Clondalkin Non-Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin Lucan Non-Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin Mobiles Non-Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin Tallaght Non-Fiction on 07-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Ballymun Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Charleville Mall Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Dolphin's Barn Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Drumcondra Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Marino Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Mobiles Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Pearse Street Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Phibsboro Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Dublin City Ringsend Non Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for dlr Blackrock Non-Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for dlr Cabinteely Non-Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for dlr Shankill Non-Fiction on 19-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Ferrybank Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Graiguenamanagh Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny City Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Loughboy Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Mobile Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Callan Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kilkenny Thomastown Non Fiction on 08-10-2020.
    • 3 copies ordered for Clare HQ Non Fiction on 02-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Clare HQ Non Fiction on 29-09-2020.
    • 4 copies ordered for Cork Co. LHQ on 18-08-2020.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Cork Co. LHQ .
    • 1 copy under consideration for Cork Co. LHQ Adult Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy ordered for Cork Co. LHQ Adult Non Fiction on 30-09-2020.
    • 2 copies ordered for dlr LexIcon Non-Fiction on 28-09-2020.
    • 4 copies ordered for Fingal Mobiles Non Fiction on 16-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Celbridge Library Non Fiction on 30-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Leixlip Library Fiction on 23-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Leixlip Library Non Fiction on 26-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Leixlip Library Non Fiction on 26-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Naas Library Fiction on 23-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Kildare Rathangan Library Non Fiction on 25-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for South Dublin North Clondalkin Non-Fiction on 16-09-2020.
    • 1 copy ordered for Wexford Headquarters Non Fiction on 17-07-2020.
    • 5 copies ordered for Wexford Headquarters Non Fiction on 02-10-2020.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Arklow Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Ballywaltrim Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Blessington Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Carnew Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Dunlavin Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Enniskerry Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Greystones Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Tinahely Non Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Wicklow Wicklow Fiction.
    • 1 copy under consideration for Cork Co. LHQ Adult Non Fiction.
    :confused: What gives with the 'copy under consideration' thing ? Do the locals vote on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There's a waiting list currently for this book plus I think the libraries have restrictions on going inside the buildings now.

To thine own self be true

Yeah I'd echo that, I'd love to pack in work and look after animals, It's always been my dream to have a little animal sanctuary and the minding of pets to help fund it. Kinda nice to hear others saying something remotely similar.
    One day hopefully. I'd want a few donkeys to mind. Beautiful creatures and so often mistreated by humans.

But as a stand alone business kennels for dogs etc would be tough going I'd imagine in terns of profits and a wage. So for the person asking, do a LOT of research first.

Like the guy in buncrana, opened a reserve with bears, wolves etc in it, fabulous place but I reckon it's very hard going at the moment!
    RTE did a series on him, probably on the player

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Like the guy in buncrana, opened a reserve with bears, wolves etc in it, fabulous place but I reckon it's very hard going at the moment!

It is I'd say, I was watching it every Thursday night, good show.

Roomside folding clothes

Pretend you didn't see it .��

Saw what ? :confused:

;)

I have champagne football waiting to be read as well purple, you're man who shall renamed unnamed is some little snake!

Sometimes those closest get the brunt of the frustration and whatever else is going on.
    My mother used to lash out at dad in the early stages of her dementia. Hard to see and take.
    We'd give anything to have her giving out now though.

It's not early stages, as such. His is an acquired cognitive impairment due to stroke and TBH it's only a slight aggravation of his personality pre-stroke. Some days he can get confused alright but he's actually lot better than he was four years ago immediately after the stroke but COVI'D isolation and being stuck with each other constantly hasn't helped, obviously

Don't get me wrong, I was only joking in my post above. He's lovely really but a typical grumpy old fella who knows when to switch on the charm.

I'm sorry about your Mam

I just saw one episode, well worth watching, definitely hard going now and he put huge effort into it, lovely family so I hope they'll get through it ok.

Drinking this weird honey drink. It's nice and refreshing but strange. Watching the haunting of hill house. I watched the first 5 eps ages ago but gave up because frankly it scares the bejaysus out of me but himself has convinced me to watch a few more since it's October and all. Just finished ep 6 and about to start 7 and I'm gonna have nightmares tonight. I can't take anymore of bent neck!!!!

Exactly. Oh wouldn't it be wonderful? To wake up each morning and know your day is about helping animals and doing something wonderful?
    Nevermind the rat race and money and taxes and crap.
    I want that one day, I'm convinced I can do it too.
    Even if its just local wildlife. Plus my donkeys.... Bliss!

If i won the lotto i would start planning the farm at home to be a sanctuary with some deciduous forestry for rewilding, i've always wanted to make it wild and back to nature in parts, especially bogland areas

It's not early stages, as such. His is an acquired cognitive impairment due to stroke and TBH it's only a slight aggravation of his personality pre-stroke. Some days he can get confused alright but he's actually lot better than he was four years ago immediately after the stroke but COVI'D isolation and being stuck with each other constantly hasn't helped, obviously

Don't get me wrong, I was only joking in my post above. He's lovely really but a typical grumpy old fella who knows when to switch on the charm.

I'm sorry about your Mam

Living with each other can be tough alright. It's a challenge at the best of times for adults to live with their parents nevermind during illness. Glad your dad has improved though. Mine is grumpy too and sure you might as well be talking to the wall when it comes to his welfare.

Thanks. She is alive but deep in the clutches of dementia so really I lost her years ago. One good thing is she's spared the anxiety of Covid and instead is in a happy land in her mind. Just wish I could get in there with her! :D

Exactly. Oh wouldn't it be wonderful? To wake up each morning and know your day is about helping animals and doing something wonderful?
    Nevermind the rat race and money and taxes and crap.
    I want that one day, I'm convinced I can do it too.
    Even if its just local wildlife. Plus my donkeys.... Bliss!

+1 for the donkey :)

When I was young we had a donkey like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rfevDI-XxM . The cart was like in the video too except it was more upmarket - there was a plank that went from side to side to make a seat :D

I could never understand the value of a donkey to a farmer? Is it just purely for a domestic like pet reason?

• Advertisement

Love donkeys, went to a sanctuary in england once, such a massive place, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

NewRed2 wrote:
    yeah its a great song. I'm not very clued in with music, I'm 40 so I'm an auld lad but I love songs where there's a haunting overtone and something different about the song and The National are good at that type of music. I heard it in the closing stages of an episode of The Wire I think. I'm not sure how it works when you are making a movie or a TV Show and you need to choose the right song/part of the song at just the the right moment to convey the mood of what your watching. But I always have a massive respect for the ones who do that well, the scenes where they marry the scene to the music and it just fits. You get it in movies coz they spend millions doing it but in TV Shows its more hit and miss but The Wire had it. And to be fair Sons of anarchy had it but the best I saw was the way the office did it, the scene with dawn and tim and yazoo only you, brilliant. That scene with yazoo playing had me wanting to fall in love. If you take the music away from these moments they're next to nothing. God the beer is kicking in.....

Are you my twin McGarnigle? :D

I could never understand the value of a donkey to a farmer? Is it just purely for a domestic like pet reason?

Not pets, No!

Self driving, intelligent Transport :)

If the ground couldnt take the cart ( bog ) then on with the panniers

image.jpg( A John Hinde postcard )

Thanks. She is alive but deep in the clutches of dementia so really I lost her years ago. One good thing is she's spared the anxiety of Covid and instead is in a happy land in her mind. Just wish I could get in there with her! :D

Mr Sardi's mum was like that. Very happy in herself though. Her world became very small but it wss a happy one . She could be very funny, too. She used to watch the Aussie Soaps and would say 'this morning, when I was in Australia. ..' and relate some event from the show. The best thing to do was go to her place instead of trying to get her into ours. I told her once that my own mother had had red hair and she replied 'Never mind dear, I'm sure she was a nice person. It wasn't her fault '!

It's hard to watch the person you knew dissappear, all the same.

Not pets, No!

Those kids were actually blondies and Hinde colourised their hair to fit the rural island stereotype. Fact.

Love donkeys, went to a sanctuary in england once, such a massive place, amazing

Have any of ye been to the Mallow Sanctuary ?

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/

• Advertisement

I'd love to work with sloths. Definitely my spirit animal. If anyone is in a slump, go to YouTube and search for Baby Sloths

Off to the leaba soon. But listening to Van Halen Jump now. Sad that he died the other day. Its not my type of music at all but when ya listen to it, it's hard to deny what a brilliant talent he was.
    I suppose just like J-Lennon he was another flawed genius.
    But when the time comes when the modern guys times arrive it will be far more complicated. We'll need to figure out what Snoop Dog actually ever did aside from employing a full time spliff roller. And ya know Shakiras hip never lied but neither will her legacy and between the lot of them they wouldn't know a guitar if it hit them up the arse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The best parties have dogs!

Cats would disagree with that 😾, in particular a certain tiger cub 😛😛😸

Not pets, No!

OK but in today's world I don't get why farmers have them? Sorry..donkey lovers..

OK but in today's world I don't get why farmers have them? Sorry..donkey lovers..

Grass cutting and manure? My grandad used to keep one on his half acre to keep the grass down. Beautiful, gentle creatures

• Advertisement

How does it feel to let forever be.

Grass cutting and manure? My grandad used to keep one on his half acre to keep the grass down. Beautiful, gentle creatures

Would they be kept for the rough, scrubland fields that farming animals couldn't graze on?
    Our neighbours used to have one when I was a child and the fecker used to bite.

How does it feel to let forever be.

Put the chemicals away, brother :p

Sardonicat wrote:
    Put the chemicals away, brother

I wish.....but yesh. :D

Would they be kept for the rough, scrubland fields that farming animals couldn't graze on?

they're the most placid gentle animals of them all. Lovely creatures.
    Any animal will act out if not looked after properly but they're as gentle as they come.

Some of them can be cross, of course, and any animal will bite if it's approached wrong. Never approach any equine animal head on, always at an angle, until they know you anyway. I don't know how delicate ther tummies are, I don't think they're like goats anyway. The one grandad had was grass fed. Granddad didn't own him but kept him in the summer for whoever did. But then, he would have had donkeys his whole life so maybe he just wanted one around from time to time. He had us warned not to bother him 'Go soft with the animal, now, go soft' Many rural families kept a donkey if they had a small bit of land until the 50s - early 60s, not just farmers, for pulling carts , the bog, etc

they're the most placid gentle animals of them all. Lovely creatures.
    Any animal will act out if not looked after properly but they're as gentle as they come.

Our neighbours used to give the local children rides on its back like a pony, maybe that's why it decided to bite :D

Our neighbours used to give the local children rides on its back like a pony, maybe that's why it decided to bite :D

ha well I suppose that wud do it alright! :D

At the sea side in England, where donkey rides were part and parcel of a day at the beach, there was always a biter amongst them! But ususally just in retaliation to rough housing by a kid. I suppose that even for a donkey it gets to a point where enough is enough!

Today is 10-10-20, a farmer's best friend :P

Also world mental health day, for all the difference that makes. :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement