If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hifi for the living room

Options
  • 04-07-2020 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there

I'm looking for a hifi amplifier and a couple of speakers for the living room. In the long run I'd like to have the option of connecting another pair of speakers in a bedroom as well, so I want an amplifier that supports two pairs of speakers if possible. 

I see that the Yamaha RS202D meets this criteria, and also has Bluetooth which sounds handy. The Yamaha RN303D also caught my eye, and the wifi features would be great, but that would pretty much exhaust my budget before getting any speakers (which doesn't seem like a great strategy).

For the speakers I have no idea what to get - I'm not an audiophile, and having earth-shattering bass is not a priority, but I'd like to have a system that can fill a medium sized living room (about 5x6m) with good quality sound. Ideally I'm looking for speakers that don't mind being near/against the wall (I understand some speaker designs are best away from walls).

Could you suggest any bundles with the Yamaha RS202D (or even the RN303D, if the speakers are affordable enough) with a suitable pair of speakers?

Many thanks 

Luke

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

LukeIE wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm looking for a hifi amplifier and a couple of speakers for the living room. In the long run I'd like to have the option of connecting another pair of speakers in a bedroom as well, so I want an amplifier that supports two pairs of speakers if possible. 

I see that the Yamaha RS202D meets this criteria, and also has Bluetooth which sounds handy. The Yamaha RN303D also caught my eye, and the wifi features would be great, but that would pretty much exhaust my budget before getting any speakers (which doesn't seem like a great strategy).

For the speakers I have no idea what to get - I'm not an audiophile, and having earth-shattering bass is not a priority, but I'd like to have a system that can fill a medium sized living room (about 5x6m) with good quality sound. Ideally I'm looking for speakers that don't mind being near/against the wall (I understand some speaker designs are best away from walls).

Could you suggest any bundles with the Yamaha RS202D (or even the RN303D, if the speakers are affordable enough) with a suitable pair of speakers?

Many thanks 

Luke
    Hi LukeIE.

The RS202 is a great unit :)

For a few bundles check out the following:

RS202 with Monitor Audio Bronze 1 (Walnut Only) - The Bronze 1 are already reduced to clear. Total would be £309.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12899-monitor-audio-bronze-1-walnut-walnut-s
    peakers-per-pair.aspx

RS202 with Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (Walnut Only) - Again the Bronze 2 are already reduced to clear. Total would be £339
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12902-monitor-audio-bronze-2-walnut-walnut-speakers-per-pair.aspx

To be honest those two sets of speakers are hard to pass up at that price and I would not have anything better I could offer that would be as cheap or sound anywhere near as good for the money.

If you switch for the RN303D I could offer it with the bronze 1 for £388.99 or with the Bronze 2 for £418

You would also require a few meters of speaker cable depending on the distance required.
    Symphony 100 priced at £1.29 per meter.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LukeIE

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the quick response.

In terms of the difference between the Bronze 1 and Bronze 2, would the Bronze 2 just be louder or would it be better quality sound as well? Apologies, I really don't know much about speakers!

Also on speaker cable, I notice the stuff on your website is quite expensive compared to elsewhere - not for the same brand, and I'm sure yours is better quality and a great price for what it is, but I'm not sure if I need it. I have a roll of ordinary speaker cable from a home improvement type store already - would I be fine to use that or is it really worth the extra for a good brand? 

For your quotes for the RN303D, any chance you could include shipping to Dublin in the prices you quoted (£388.99 / £418 respectively)?

Thanks

Luke

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the quick response.

In terms of the difference between the Bronze 1 and Bronze 2, would the Bronze 2 just be louder or would it be better quality sound as well? Apologies, I really don't know much about speakers!

Also on speaker cable, I notice the stuff on your website is quite expensive compared to elsewhere - not for the same brand, and I'm sure yours is better quality and a great price for what it is, but I'm not sure if I need it. I have a roll of ordinary speaker cable from a home improvement type store already - would I be fine to use that or is it really worth the extra for a good brand? 

For your quotes for the RN303D, any chance you could include shipping to Dublin in the prices you quoted (£388.99 / £418 respectively)?

Thanks

Luke
    Hi LukeIE.

The Bronze 2 would have a bigger driver and thus give deeper bass tones and it can do lower frequencies.

You can use you own speaker cable but its most likely a bell wire type which is not very good as it will be poorly shielded.
    It would be like buying a nice sports car and putting some remould tyres on it.

I can indeed offer free shipping on the RN303 deals :)

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LukeIE

Thanks Kenny

I'll send you a message about making a purchase.

Luke

Thanks Kenny

I'll send you a message about making a purchase.

Luke
    Cheers LukeIE.

I will get back to you post ASAP.

Kenny.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.