Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big gaps into neighbours attic? Block up?

• 04-07-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi All,

What else would i be doing with my weekend than worrying about the construction of the house.

It's a really old house and in the attic there are holes into the neighbours attic at the level of the floor joists.

The attic spans 8m front to back of house (terraced). The holes are about 10 inches wide by a foot high. From the centre line of the ridge they're about 3 metres to either side. Both walls that adjoin the neighbouring houses have them.

It looks like there might have been a roof replaced altogether at some point, maybe they're old holes from previous timbers? Or could they be to do with the chimney? Or breather holes between the houses for some reason like lime mortar and movement or in case of fire?

I've no idea what they're for but I want to block them up and make sure no four legged nuisances are going to come through. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Never mind rodents party walls need to be completely solid to help contain the spread of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If the roof was replaced at sometime, could they be where the old joists were? Whatever they were for, they shouldn't (afaik) open up into the next door attic space, as (afaik) there should be a firewall between houses to prevent the rapid spread of fire. Do they actually go right through or are they blind holes?

There have been cases where fire walls have been constructed to sub standards and entire apartment complexes have been closed by mandatory order.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/order-to-evacuate-apartments-over-very-serious-fire-safety-risk-26782101.html

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

No they seem to go right through! It's so horrible up there with blown in insulation which is so dusty. I just pray it isn't asbestos mixed into it, kind of bits of paper and carpet fibres all mulched up is what I'd describe it as.

I wonder would expanding foam be ok or should I try brick them up. Less time spent up there the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do a proper job of blocking them up with brick or concrete. We had smoke come through as a result of a dodgy stove next door, only smoke but fire brigade out and quite a kerfuffle. Our party wall was supposed to be solid but apparently the upstairs floor joists were set into the walls so there was a gap through two adjacent lots of joists.

Those are big holes! Not only wildlife but smoke, fumes, fire could make it through.

Advertisement