Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Zoe; battery owned vs battery leased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    Are you serious or is this another one of Andys daydreaming threads?

TBH if you were serious a spin to Dublin to test one or the position of the charge port wouldn't be your sticking point.

whats up with you? - it costs nothing to be civil and your answer is not helpful so I fail to see why you bothered answering.

Anyway - to reiterate I dont want particularly want to travel miles away if I can help it just to try out one, but if it has to be then it has to be I suppose ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Electricautos have a ZE40 in stock, they may let you have an extend test drive and offer a sourcing service if you do decide to buy.

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/renault/zoe/kildare/2554856

liamog wrote: »
    Electricautos have a ZE40 in stock, they may let you have an extend test drive and offer a sourcing service if you do decide to buy.

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/renault/zoe/kildare/2554856

Thanks for that - out of my price range - 22kw (to start off with lol) in my venture into the BEV world would be enough to me and a lot lot cheaper.

Keary's in cork is looking the most favourable at the moment they seem great 8,900euro for a 22kw 2015 and they pay the battery rental for 12 months too and €150 nationwide delivery .. so afraid thou if i were to get it and not get on with it and think I made one hell of a big (expensive) mistake if I didnt like it ... thats why I really need to try one first if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wouldn't touch anything with battery rental, resale will be near impossible imo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thanks for that - out of my price range - 22kw (to start off with lol) in my venture into the BEV world would be enough to me and a lot lot cheaper.

Keary's in cork is looking the most favourable at the moment they seem great 8,900euro for a 22kw 2015 and they pay the battery rental for 12 months too and €150 nationwide delivery .. so afraid thou if i were to get it and not get on with it and think I made one hell of a big (expensive) mistake if I didnt like it ... thats why I really need to try one first if I can

The point was to get in touch re a test drive and then see if they could source a smaller batteried model for you from the UK. At least give them a shout and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't touch anything with battery rental, resale will be near impossible imo

(if i liked it) I couldnt even think/see myself selling it on again (especially if I got it on 5 years HP!) -
    I like the idea that on battery rental that you can get recovery as many times as you like (I think even if you had recovery built in with a fully comp insurance there is a limit to how many time you can use it in a month)
    And the 70% thing, that if you are paying for battery rental, renault ensure / guarantee your battery at 70% - so that if it falls below that they can replace the defective cells (or the battery) to bring you back to 70% levels - and I think I read somewhere if you have battery rental you dont have to pay the extra for the disposal of the car like you do with a battery owned (maybe I read that wrong?)

Not a single EV driver here has said it's worth it, trust us, it's not. You will not need to use a recovery service more than your normal comprehensive insurance covers, and you really don't need to worry about the battery degradation for a few more years.

The point was to get in touch re a test drive and then see if they could source a smaller batteried model for you from the UK. At least give them a shout and see what they say.

oh right - yes good Idea . , and if I were to test drive a 50kw zoe , everything else will bethe same as a 22kw older model would it?

you know , like a 50kw zo - is the only difference the range and the bigger battery and everything still the same? - like the way the car drives on both and controls etc?

thanks

Not sure about the Zoe 50 they may have a slight interior refresh, the 2017 Zoe 40 is almost the same as a 2015 Zoe

Not a single EV driver here has said it's worth it, trust us, it's not. You will not need to use a recovery service more than your normal comprehensive insurance covers, and you really don't need to worry about the battery degradation for a few more years.

ah, right - the only other issue is that the battery owned ones are expensive / hold their value and then make buying much more expensive ... so then again out of my budget The other week I saw a battery owned 2014 or 2015 on DD for 8,700 - first off that was unusual and alarm bells rang (like what was wrong with it going that price for BO) and then the next thing it was a private sale and at least if you get from a dealer/forecourt you should have some kind of warranty after buying - you have nothing really with a private seller i shouldnt think.

• Advertisement

Not sure about the Zoe 50 they may have a slight interior refresh, the 2017 Zoe 40 is almost the same as a 2015 Zoe

great thanks, I am new to all this (in case you hadnt noticed ) :)

That's it, I'd put the value of the recovery service and degradation protection at €0.
    Then it's just a case of are you willing to spend €80 a month to save €3,000 on the purchase price.
    That's a decision only you can make, but just be aware that the depreciation on the battery lease car may be higher than the non lease version, but you paid less anyway so it might even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

The interior of the 50 is fully upgraded and a lot of the dash is based on the new Clio. Underneath the skin, it’s a lot of the same car but the interior is a total refresh.

MarkN wrote: »
    The interior of the 50 is fully upgraded and a lot of the dash is based on the new Clio. Underneath the skin, it’s a lot of the same car but the interior is a total refresh.

thanks, so in terms of driving though same gearshift (is that what they call it in an automatic car?) in the 50 as the older 22kw and same feel to driving? - same suspension feel or has the 50 been upgraded on the 50? - same front drivers seat ie confort / support? or has that been improved in the 50 as well?
    and does the 50 feel more responsive to drive thanthe older zoe or has just the range increased with the later (but still shape as the old) zoe? can you tell me?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

Hey Andy - I haven't driven the older version so I'm not sure on some of the questions. It feels very nippy, a little bit of wheel spin at times but torque steer is nicely managed overall. In eco mode there's still enough power too, was hard to see if it had any true energy saving though. A motorist in a CLK coupe tried to have a little go at a set of lights against it and the Zoe just pulled and pulled away.

The driver and passenger seat still don't have height adjustment, there's a bit of lumbar support, manual adjustment.

I've put together a video of the car here, it will show you around a bit hopefully. If you've any other questions I'll try help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

If you're serious then stick a post up on one of the FB pages and ask if there are any Zoe 22kWh owners nearby.
    I'm sure they'd give you a spin and let you have a look around. Might even be one or 2 thinking of selling.
    Your budget seems tight so if I was you I'd go battery owned and a private sale. A dealer will only give you a 6 month warranty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stesaurus wrote: »
    Might even be one or 2 thinking of selling.

For sure if they reckon they've found a fool who will take over their battery lease :p

unkel wrote: »
    For sure if they reckon they've found a fool who will take over their battery lease :p

You're so against the lease, I don't know why? Leased versions can go for between 3-5k less. That's a lot of months' battery lease payments.
    They never check the mileage, so just take the lowest monthly offer. I think that's about €60 so if you sell it after 4-5 years you'll probably break even.
    Or ya know just stop paying it and pull out the SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Leased versions can go for between 3-5k less.

If only.
    so if you sell it after 4-5 years you'll probably break even

If you could sell it, sure! :p

A 2015 battery owned Zoe was for sale for around €8k asking a few days ago. If only you could get a 2015 battery lease Zoe for around €3-€4k. That would start to makes sense alright. Just scrap it when you are done with it after a few years. If you're on a budget and you want to own an EV for as little money as possible in total cost of ownership, a €4-5k Leaf (battery owned) makes a lot more sense.

MarkN wrote: »
    Hey Andy - I haven't driven the older version so I'm not sure on some of the questions. It feels very nippy, a little bit of wheel spin at times but torque steer is nicely managed overall. In eco mode there's still enough power too, was hard to see if it had any true energy saving though. A motorist in a CLK coupe tried to have a little go at a set of lights against it and the Zoe just pulled and pulled away.

The driver and passenger seat still don't have height adjustment, there's a bit of lumbar support, manual adjustment.

I've put together a video of the car here, it will show you around a bit hopefully. If you've any other questions I'll try help.

many thanks for the reply, brilliant I shall watch that video later on today thanks.
    If you're serious then stick a post up on one of the FB pages and ask if there are any Zoe 22kWh owners nearby.
    I'm sure they'd give you a spin and let you have a look around. Might even be one or 2 thinking of selling.
    Your budget seems tight so if I was you I'd go battery owned and a private sale. A dealer will only give you a 6 month warranty anyway.

good idea - i mentioned that to the mrs a couple of nights ago and she reckoned if it was other times out of this covid times there may have been someone local with a zoe willing to let me have a drive of it in a car park or something but she reckoned people might be wary at this time.
    Kearys in Cork seem a great dealer at the moment in my estimates they seem really good - they say 2years warranty on renault selection cars as standard and they pay the first 12 months of the battery lease. they really sound like a good dealer. Anyone else on here used them or know of them? - the one i was looking at (2014) has (well I think) high mileage @ 95,026 km (thats quite high isnt it especially for a BEV?) but thats my budget , I suppose if it were much less mileage it would be another grand or more on top - and 2014 is getting on a bit in years , but again budget and this will be my first venture into owning an electric vehicle - at least there will be no issues with timing belt not being changed or worn exhaust lol :)
    unkel wrote: »
    Yes! - I would be that 'fool' :D .. only because of budget at time of buying .. sure we could all look back after years of having it and say 'bloody hell - look at all that I paid in battery rental alone!' - it was the same when I was growing up we never ever bought a telly or video outright we always rented and and years later when we looked back on how much we paid on renting a telly we could have bought it 3 times over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

95,026 km (thats quite high isnt it especially for a BEV

No, that is average or low milage. What does especially for a BEV mean? Do you think BEV drivers drive less?
    Milage is less important for electric as less parts to go wrong.

JPA wrote: »
    No, that is average or low milage. What does especially for a BEV mean? Do you think BEV drivers drive less?
    Milage is less important for electric as less parts to go wrong.

no, i just meant that a lot of BEV's I have seen in the past have been extremely low mileage especially around the 2013/14 age and just put it down to that people normally do short journeys in an EV or have it as a second car in the household alongside the ICE car. Ice car for long journeys and EV for short runs around towns/city - thats how I have always thought they had low mileage.

Kearys in Cork seem a great dealer at the moment in my estimates they seem really good - they say 2years warranty on renault selection cars as standard and they pay the first 12 months of the battery lease. they really sound like a good dealer. Anyone else on here used them or know of them? - the one i was looking at (2014) has (well I think) high mileage @ 95,026 km (thats quite high isnt it especially for a BEV?) but thats my budget , I suppose if it were much less mileage it would be another grand or more on top - and 2014 is getting on a bit in years , but again budget and this will be my first venture into owning an electric vehicle - at least there will be no issues with timing belt not being changed or worn exhaust lol :)

€9k for a battery leased 2014 seems crazy money to me. That's why they can afford to give you back €700+ in battery rental for 1 year. But maybe the 2 year warranty is worth it, i'm not sure.
    My sister paid a lot less than that 2.5 years ago for a 2015 with less mileage. That was in the UK and a quick nose seems that prices really haven't dropped.

Very little depreciation in 2+ years Unkel would seem to suggest the demand is still there and no issues with selling on, lease or not.

Another quick search and came across this, If it is actually battery owned then is a much better deal than Kearys https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006250500203?

€9k for a battery leased 2014 seems crazy money to me. That's why they can afford to give you back €700+ in battery rental for 1 year. But maybe the 2 year warranty is worth it, i'm not sure.
    My sister paid a lot less than that 2.5 years ago for a 2015 with less mileage. That was in the UK and a quick nose seems that prices really haven't dropped.

no, the 2015 from Kearys is 8,700eur

Very little depreciation in 2+ years Unkel would seem to suggest the demand is still there and no issues with selling on, lease or not.
    Another quick search and came across this, If it is actually battery owned then is a much better deal than Kearys https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006250500203?

a little bit worried about buying from UK - about just over a year ago I was looking at a 2013 Zoe from Charles hurst up in Belfast at a price of £5,000 uk pound and a mileage of 32miles and one owner - seemed great value for money .. but then nervousness kiked in about how i would go on driving it back, then how would I go about VRT (and then found out that no VRT would have to be changed but I wouldnd be au fais re knowing how to go about changing for Irish plates and then what would the insurance be if they knew it was originally UK reg and all things like that - then the wife started saying that she would be getting range anxiety .. so in the end she bought a clio 4 petrol instead.

If you are unsure of purchasing through the UK talk to the Irish EV dealers, they will source cars for you. They also have access to trade networks, it's the reason so many used Leaf's have been imported here.

Yay - i finally put a deposit down on a 2013 Renault zoe today , after all this time - of course it had to be a battery rental one . Hoping i just get by with the 60eur a month battery rental I will only be going short journeys . felt great taking it out for a test drive today. its 2013 but the feel of it feels much more modern than that. - just got to wait for it to be serviced , should be ready next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I hope you got it for very little money.

Best of luck with it.

Well wear, hope it all works out for you!

• Advertisement

thanks - i'm excited , new venture for me . So quiet and smooth and surprisingly nippy! (well with eco off, I never tried it with eco on) I suppose going price for it taking into account battery rental .

steering felt heavier than the wifes clio , in fact the whole car felt heavier on the test drive but could that be the wight of the batteries. This is first time i took a zoe for a test drive so I dont really know how they are supposed to sit on the road.

Going to be air con re-gassed and serviced, and ready next week

60k km - UK import

Advertisement