Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNN admits hydroxychloroquine helped Covid-19 patients better survive

Options
  • 04-07-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

CNN finally admits hydroxychloroquine helped Covid-19 patients better survive.
    I'm curious how they can get out of this one with all the **** they said when Trump was recommending it.
    https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1278964201789194240

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They’re reporting on the results of a study. The other stuff they said was as a result of the results of other studies. The results of this study don’t tally with the results of other studies, but it’s being reported, not being suppressed, and that’s what science is all about. I don’t get the problem here.

I thought the MSM were agenda driven liars, shoving their liberal narrative down everyone else’s throats. Here they report both sides of a story, and it’s an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

deceit wrote: »
    I'm curious how they can get out of this one with all the **** they said when Trump was recommending it.

Future Proof had a show about anti science folks earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Did you even read the article? It doesn’t mean what you think it means.
    Kalkanis said that their findings do not necessarily contradict those of earlier studies. "We also want to make the point that just because our results differ from some others that may have been published, it doesn't make those studies wrong or definitely a conflict. What it simply means is that by looking at the nuanced data of which patients actually benefited and when, we might be able to further unlock the code of how this disease works," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you read one sentence past the headline
    But the findings, like the federal government's use of the drug itself, were disputed.

Also, I can see some conspiracy theory acquaintances of mine creaming themselves as they've been posting dodgy links claiming hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin to be a miracle cure for weeks now (along with the usual one billion percent RDA of Vitamin C up your arse and the like) despite
    "Overall crude mortality rates were 18.1% in the entire cohort, 13.5% in the hydroxychloroquine alone group, 20.1% among those receiving hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin, 22.4% among the azithromycin alone group, and 26.4% for neither drug,"

Of course when you have lots of studies going on and a lot of observations, it's easy to find an observation that supports your hypothesis. It's a bit like finding a stain on the duvet and claiming the whole duvet is that colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OP did you actually read the article?

Many of the patients in the group that this small scale study reviewed also received dexamethasone, which funnily enough has a clinically proven efficacy in improving Covid outcomes in a large and double blind randomised study.
    Researchers not involved in the Henry Ford study pointed out it wasn't of the same quality of the studies showing hydroxychloroquine did not help patients, and said other treatments, such as the use of the steroid dexamethasone, might have accounted for the better survival of some patients.

If you are going to get all Trumpy and blame MSM for misinformation...
    At least read, and demonstrate a grasp of what the fúck the foundation of your nonsense argument is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A deceitful take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Stark wrote: »
    If you read one sentence past the headline

Also, I can see some conspiracy theory acquaintances of mine creaming themselves as they've been posting dodgy links claiming hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin to be a miracle cure for weeks now (along with the usual one billion percent RDA of Vitamin C up your arse and the like) despite

Of course when you have lots of studies going on and a lot of observations, it's easy to find an observation that supports your hypothesis. It's a bit like finding a stain on the duvet and claiming the whole duvet is that colour.
    I may be missing a lot of the comments on here but I just grabbed yours as yours was the newest when I refreshed.
    Me, I believe Trump was stupid to take it himself and if he recommended it to non sick people he was dumb (I'm not sure if he did this second bit though, I'm sure someone else can confirm).
    What I've a problem with is just because he highlighted it, the news went out of their way to discredit the drug using trial by media (Me living mostly in Germany I will use a local example, If Merkel recommended it, we wouldn't have had the same reaction and would have looked into the drug more). An example like relating it to a Women who fed her husband fish tank cleaner (If I'm not mistaken she was a die hard Hillary supporter so their is no way she would listen to Trump and is being investigated for Murder).
    What I'm taking from the article is that it helped for some people and would help if is taken before certain symptoms show.
    I don't think anyone ever thought of it as a miracle cure or at least I'm hoping no one was stupid enough to think this but if it helps in any way it shouldn't be removed because of who managed to push it into view.
    When it comes to someones life it should not be about politics and should be about helping others.

For people who may have missed the scandal, the initial data that stopped all trials was entirely false and made it into Lancet and another big journal. Atrocious behaviour by the tiny US company that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was bad but that doesn't make Trump right. He was trying to push the drug for his own personal gain before it was tested. People died because they self-administered the drug on his advice without knowing what the safe dosage was or what the side effects with other drugs/pre-existing conditions were because those studies weren't done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Stark wrote: »
    It was bad but that doesn't make Trump right. He was trying to push the drug for his own personal gain before it was tested. People died because they self-administered the drug on his advice without knowing what the safe dosage was or what the side effects with other drugs/pre-existing conditions were because those studies weren't done yet.
    Unless I'm mistaken self-administering the drug relates to the Hillary supporter I just mentioned. You wouldn't be able to get hold of this medicine without a doctor?
    A women who gave her husband a large dose of fish pond cleaner and her self a smaller amount and then claimed she did it based on what trump said.
    She is now up on Murder charges. She is a die hard Hillary/Democrat supporter so I find it hard to believe she would have followed someones directions she despised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If Trump says something the media automatically say it is bad, Remember he talked about UV light possibly been used and the media flipped, then it turned out it is a promising treatment people are researching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Trump is still a moron, he'll die a moron, and he'll have a death toll worse than the Vietnam War on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump is still a moron, he'll die a moron, and he'll have a death toll worse than the Vietnam War on his record.

And only his fleas will mourn him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

If Trump says something the media automatically say it is bad, Remember he talked about UV light possibly been used and the media flipped, then it turned out it is a promising treatment people are researching.
    That’s because most of what comes out of his mouth is utter stutter.

And he didn’t just say UV light ‘possibly being used’, he murmured out load about UV light in the same sentence as injecting disinfectant into people’s bodies. How anyone can defend that man is astonishing.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Latest WHO recommendation released a few hours ago.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/04-07-2020-who-discontinues-hydroxychloroquine-and-lopinavir-ritonavir-treatment-arms-for-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR1LMOn5wzSDz-wigobHt5kZv6tRBUSEJ90tQfsX748rDoKPhowhIjW-Y0g

To offer a quick summary
    These interim trial results show that hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir produce little or no reduction in the mortality of hospitalized COVID-19 patients when compared to standard of care. Solidarity trial investigators will interrupt the trials with immediate effect.

So given that the study the OP claims as proved hydroxychloroquine worked, didn't account for patients taking a proven treatment in in dexamethasone!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call the BS and point proven on it not working.
    Quite a deceitful presentation of a small scale study by those involved in the OP's referred tweet.

To not discount patients on clinically proven treatment, yet fudge the numbers in such a way as to imply Hydroxychloroquine was pertinent to any mortality improvement.

I'd love to see the ethics statement they append to that particular study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That’s because most of what comes out of his mouth is utter stutter.

And he didn’t just say UV light ‘possibly being used’, he murmured out load about UV light in the same sentence as injecting disinfectant into people’s bodies. How anyone can defend that man is astonishing.

Because I am not an intolerant person so I can say there is merit in what someone says regardless of who they are unless I know better, question everything and try to avoid echo chambers.

Because I am not an intolerant person so I can say there is merit in what someone says regardless of who they are unless I know better, question everything and try to avoid echo chambers.

Nah, it's searching for any merit in something he says which is what you're engaging in.

This is what Trump said, verbatim regarding internal application of UV and injecting disinfectant.
    "I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that too... So, we'll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute - that's pretty powerful."
    "I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs"

I see you mention being a tolerant person which is laudable.
    But you also claim to question everything?
    Yet not seeing Trump's claims regarding UV and injecting disinfectant as anything other than absolutely dangerous stream of consciousness rambling of someone with a limited grasp of scientific reality?

That doesn't give a great account of your critical reasoning or the answers your questioning everything has brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

An example like relating it to a Women who fed her husband fish tank cleaner (If I'm not mistaken she was a die hard Hillary supporter so their is no way she would listen to Trump and is being investigated for Murder).

They did listen to Trump:
    BBC News wrote:
    The woman told NBC News she had seen a televised briefing in which Mr Trump discussed the potential benefits of chloroquine as a treatment Covid-19.

The drug has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis but is unproven for use against the novel coronavirus.

"We saw his press conference. It was on a lot, actually," she said. "Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure."

"We were afraid of getting sick," she told NBC.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/52012242

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just in case you ever think Trump couldn't have been elected here, threads like this are proof that he could. Very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Just in case you ever think Trump couldn't have been elected here, threads like this are proof that he could. Very easily.

Because of all the deplorables?

I’m sorry, but what you have said doesn’t make any sense. Are you trying to say you tolerated him talking about injecting disinfectant into peoples bodies, because you didn’t know better? And your very next phrase then is to question everything.

People like you are mind numbing.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I may be missing a lot of the comments on here but I just grabbed yours as yours was the newest when I refreshed.
    Me, I believe Trump was stupid to take it himself and if he recommended it to non sick people he was dumb (I'm not sure if he did this second bit though, I'm sure someone else can confirm).
    What I've a problem with is just because he highlighted it, the news went out of their way to discredit the drug using trial by media (Me living mostly in Germany I will use a local example, If Merkel recommended it, we wouldn't have had the same reaction and would have looked into the drug more). An example like relating it to a Women who fed her husband fish tank cleaner (If I'm not mistaken she was a die hard Hillary supporter so their is no way she would listen to Trump and is being investigated for Murder).
    What I'm taking from the article is that it helped for some people and would help if is taken before certain symptoms show.
    I don't think anyone ever thought of it as a miracle cure or at least I'm hoping no one was stupid enough to think this but if it helps in any way it shouldn't be removed because of who managed to push it into view.
    When it comes to someones life it should not be about politics and should be about helping others.

Merkel has a doctorate in quantum chemistry. Trump suggested nuking a hurricane. They're not comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Merkel has a doctorate in quantum chemistry. Trump suggested nuking a hurricane. They're not comparable.
    Physical Chemistry actually.

She will likely also go down in history as the destroyer of the European Project (EU27) the year right after inviting in millions from the MiddleEast, the uk choose to leave by small percentile. She will quit politics in October 2021.

She made her first public appearance donning a face covering on Friday this week (Donald had one on back in May), after defending herself against accusations of hypocrisy earlier this week for not wearing one.

Merkel is also under criticism for her policy on China, which many consider is stealing the EU's scientific and economic knowledge. Same goes for her policy on Huawei, and also failing to meet NATO contributions.

She is currently dealing with Turkey-EU relations, but do bear in mind, Turkey want to offload about 3m non-wanted, economic migrants, they've even bussed some of them across an official EU border into Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the very first sentence "A surprising new study found the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital." in hospital not the whitehouse.

She will likely also go down in history as the destroyer of the European Project (EU27) the year right after inviting in millions from the MiddleEast, the uk choose to leave by small percentile. She will quit politics in October 2021.

She made her first public appearance donning a face covering on Friday this week (Donald had one on back in May), after defending herself against accusations of hypocrisy earlier this week for not wearing one.

Merkel is also under criticism for her policy on China, which many consider is stealing the EU's scientific and economic knowledge. Same goes for her policy on Huawei, and also failing to meet NATO contributions.

She is currently dealing with Turkey-EU relations, but do bear in mind, Turkey want to offload about 3m non-wanted, economic migrants, they've even bussed some of them across an official EU border into Greece.

Actually Trump has never worn a mask in public. There is an image of him wearing one during a factory tour discussion, but he took it off before the public part of it.

And Merkel didn’t invite in millions, it was a decision among member nations of the EU to invite in refugees. Unlike Trump, who chose to discriminate against people of certain nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wikipedia and britannica.com say quantum chemistry. Whatever, my point stands. Comparing her and Trump on scientific decision-making is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wikipedia and britannica.com say quantum chemistry. Whatever, my point stands. Comparing her and Trump on scientific decision-making is ridiculous.
    That was the thesis subject matter (quantum).

You compared here to Trump yourself.
    But it's not like Trump offered 1m+ into Texas, then a neighouring state voted to leave the Union due to that conseqence.

The people of the EU had no say on this matter, you or I were not consulted. Hence the V4 still to this day reject the invitation, hardened their own borders, and had no bulk migration as a result. Anyway Merkel also said later, that she regretted such a decision.

Without such an open door invite, chances are the EU27 would still be that, it was only a 2-3% sway that pushed brexit, and uncontrolled migration was a primary concern for voters.

France are currently having major issues with migrants, as such they are now 2nd favourite to the EU (after Italy). The 2022 France elections will be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

That was the thesis subject matter (quantum).

You compared here to Trump yourself.
    But it's not like Trump offered 1m+ into Texas, then a neighouring state voted to leave the Union due to that conseqence.

The people of the EU had no say on this matter, you or I were not consulted. Hence the V4 still to this day reject the invitation, and had no bulk migration as a result. Anyway Merkel also said later, that she regretted such a decision.

Without such an open door invite, chances are the EU27 would still be that, it was only a 2-3% sway that pushed brexit, and uncontrolled migration was a primary concern for voters.

France are currently having major issues with migrants, as such they are now 2nd favourite to the EU (after Italy). The 2022 France elections will be interesting...

By then the impact in Britain will be evident for all to see...if they suffer a mild recession then all bets are off...the stakes are high in these times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

the Vietnam War killed 3 million, I'm sick of the attitude that only american deaths count

Advertisement