Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU - GFX connector query

Options
  • 04-07-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So the PSU on my son's PC died and couldn't source a like for like replacement (the dead PSU had a modular 8 pin to 6+2 powering GTX1050 card). What I've got now is another modular unit but it only has 6 pin modular sockets/ports.

My question is can I use the same GFX connector cable as before by reversing it and plugging the 6 pin end into the PSU and the 8 pin end into the graphics card? What makes me wonder if it's ok to do that is that the retaining hook on the 6 pin doesn't align with the PSU so I'd have to remove it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dead PSU: Corsair CX430M
    Replacement: Corsair HX520W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NO.

Never use the cables from different models!
    That's how you risk a house fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is the HX series not ancient? I'd be very dubious modifying a psu to do anything it didn't do out of the box involving splitters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you sure you have this right? Most GTX1050's don't need power connectors but those rare few that do would take a six-pin connector.

The connector might be 6+2, but it doesn't need the extra +2. A six pin is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homelander wrote: »
    Are you sure you have this right? Most GTX1050's don't need power connectors but those rare few that do would take a six-pin connector.

The connector might be 6+2, but it doesn't need the extra +2. A six pin is fine.

Id say its most likely this, a 1050 is no chonky boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Thanks for your advice folks, very much appreciated!
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    NO.

Never use the cables from different models!
    That's how you risk a house fire.

Thanks, I absolutely get that 'making it fit' is dodgy and there's usually a good reason why things don't fit in the first place. I appreciate the unequivocal advice :)
    On a side note though, isn't that the purpose of modular PSUs (providing the cables fit, of course!) ? Genuine question - I've not built a PC since Pentium 4 was a thing so am wondering if there's incompatibilty between older generation modular PSUs and newer ones.
    Homelander wrote: »
    Are you sure you have this right? Most GTX1050's don't need power connectors...

My bad, it's the daughter who has the 1050. This machine has Radeon RX480 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The purpose of modular PSUs is to make the building process easier/less messy in that you can fill the case with fewer cables.
    However, there is no standard for PSU wiring in regards to modular cables; and PSUs are made by a variety of OEM factories (e.g. Greatwall, FSP, etc.)

Looking at it again, the PSU you are trying to use (Corsair HX520) uses a 6 pin (PSU side) to 6+2 pin (GPU side) cable.
    If you can find the original cable, it should be OK.

Also, be aware that the HX520 is old (original release: 2006) so it's well past its 5-year warranty & I'd be wary of the caps being at the end of their lifespan.

Advertisement