Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum energy for a fox.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Why did so many rifles of this era have such a long fore end with a barrel band. Like the Lee Enfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

yubabill wrote: »
    My own hypothesis FWIW; One time I moved my hand underwater really fast and then moved it with a slower, steady pushing motion, I reckon I moved more water with the slower push. As tissue, organs etc. are 90%-plus water, this is the only thing I can think of.

The British and Irish gunsmiths who designed heavy game calibres for use in India and Africa had a mantra "A little powder and a lot of lead, shoot them once and shoot them dead". They favoured a large heavy calibre bullet moving at relatively slow speeds for heavy game. The Americans were the same for a while, when you think of the favourite rounds like the .45-70, .45 colt, .45 acp etc. Things seemed to have moved to small bullets doing incredible velocities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

tudderone wrote: »
    The British and Irish gunsmiths who designed heavy game calibres for use in India and Africa had a mantra "A little powder and a lot of lead, shoot them once and shoot them dead". They favoured a large heavy calibre bullet moving at relatively slow speeds for heavy game. The Americans were the same for a while, when you think of the favourite rounds like the .45-70, .45 colt, .45 acp etc. Things seemed to have moved to small bullets doing incredible velocities.
    Calibers like the 270win and 30-06 and 300 win mag. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Calibers like the 270win and 30-06 and 300 win mag. Lol

I find the light fast rounds make a right mess of anything i have shot with them. At least with the .30-06 you have a vast choice of rounds for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yubabill wrote: »
    Imagined myself that the expansion at slower speeds allowed the kinetic energy to transfer better into shock, but your guess is as good as mine because I have no evidence and have not seen it examined or even accepted as a phenomenon.
    If you repeated that test with you hand close to the surface I think it would be obvious that the faster movement shifts more water.

Ballistically, amount of expansion is related to energy. Faster bullets will expand more. If speed slows too much it won’t expand at all.
    The idea that a particular bullet can go too fast to expand doesn’t hold up.

https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg172/icrums/scan0005-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

What about for airguns im not talking about a .22 springer but a PCP big bore airgun .25/.30/.357/.45 etc now obviously theyd not be for everyone but for a specific task they might be worthwhile
    100ft/lb can be enough in a .22lr but since most of these air rifles dont use expanding pellets would you need some extra oomph ?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

As much as i dont like some of keith warrens videos that .25 break action knocked that young pig dead on the spot cleanly just nerves kicking:D

I think shot placement is the main factor once youve got 100ft/lb or more

Advertisement