Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gun licence

• 04-07-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm just about to get my first gun license. I'm looking for a gun to control pests on our farm. I was looking at air rifles but remembered my father has an old shotgun since he was young. As far as I'm aware the shotgun is not registered. Can I get my license with his shotgun even if it is unregistered previously?? Any help or advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm starting to wonder about the amount of "is this legal" threads being started in the last week. This is number six so far.

If you work for a paper or some form of media, put your hand up. :D

To the OP, you have admitted, on a public forum, that your Father, and you, is in possession of an unlicensed firearm. That is an offence and punishable by a fine of up to €25,000 and/or 5 years in prison.

Step one is to find out if its licensed. If it's not, have it surrendered to your local gun shop. Then get it licensed. Either you or your Father.

Step number two is to think before posting on a public forum, and definitely before admitting to an offense. While we are not An Gardaí we don't allow the discussion of illegal activity, even accidental.

Lastly if this is a genuine case and you're oblivious to firearm laws then I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but the question/post is so provocative that it is the same as going onto a motoring forum and asking if you drive a car without a driver's license, insurance and an NCT.

So with that and Mod hat on:

******************************************************************************************************************************

MOD NOTE

Thread closed.

OP feel free to contact myself or one of the other Mods if you need further advice or to discuss the closure of this thread.

******************************************************************************************************************************
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement