Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying without compliance certs for building work?

Options
  • 04-07-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for opinions on this one. We are sale agreed on a house where a number of extensions and other building work was done over the past 35 years. Planning permission for everything is fine and also an opinion on compliance with building regulations was provided for the works over the years.

What's missing however are the original compliance certs from the builders, since those were not required at the time. Our surveyor is saying now though that he isn't satisfied unless investigations into the works and structural elements are carried out to ensure they are all solid.

Our solicitor is saying it would be unusual to ask the sellers to investigate in this way, but the surveyor disagrees.

Outside of this, the property is in great condition visually and there appear to be no issues at all. After all, the works were done decades ago and all looks fine.

What do people think? Would you be fine with going ahead or would you want to ask the sellers if you can do further investigations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

I am a bit confused about what you say...

1. What do you mean by "Planning permission for everything is fine and also an opinion on compliance with building regulations was provided for the works over the years.", who provided the written opinion on compliance and was same submitted to the Local planning dept?

2. Your surveyor is correct, how can he express an opinion on works such as foundations etc. which have long been covered up

3. Have you gone "sale agreed" subject to a Surveyors Structural Report?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Stanford wrote: »
    I am a bit confused about what you say...

1. What do you mean by "Planning permission for everything is fine and also an opinion on compliance with building regulations was provided for the works over the years.", who provided the written opinion on compliance and was same submitted to the Local planning dept?

2. Your surveyor is correct, how can he express an opinion on works such as foundations etc. which have long been covered up

3. Have you gone "sale agreed" subject to a Surveyors Structural Report?

Hi there,

Thanks. Answers:

1. The opinion was submitted to the local planning authority and was carried out by local architects.

2. Agreed but my question is whether someone buying a house would insist on having the works opened up before signing contracts - is this usual or would you generally be happy with an opinion on compliance, where someone has performed their assessment but not opened up the actual structure?

I am guessing that it's not usual for someone to ask to uncover the structure to assess whether a load bearing wall is properly supported for example, but maybe that is something buyers do ask for in some cases?

3. No, it's not subject to the survey. We obviously just wanted a surveyor to take a look (assume most people do this these days anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Perhaps my earlier comments could be clearer.

1. You should seek out the original compliance opinion and the Architects who supplied, usually this opinion states that the development is in compliance with planning permission and it is not unusual for the Architect to work for the building contractor.

2. It is unusual for a Buyer to ask a Purchaser for a full statement of compliance because, as you say, this is not possible without opening up works to examine foundations etc. This is expensive and intrusive.

3. Your Surveyor may be concerned that any opinion he gives may also cover previous works in which he had no involvement.

4. I recommend that you retain an experienced Structural Engineer to give you a structural report, this will uncover any obvious issues incl. foundation problems, if you a obtaining a mortage the lending institution will almost certainly look for an Engineers Report.

Advertisement