Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

No mention of this on any official sources that I can find. You currently don't have to sign on anywhere if on jobseekers/PUP so how will they know if you do travel? Additionally, the contact tracing form does not stipulate use of its information for this purpose so that's probably a GDPR breach if it is to be passed on to them.

Initially it all sounds like a load of BS being fed to the media in an attempt to try and dissuade a certain amount of people from non essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

we've been told in work if we go abroad we wont be paid for the 14 day quarantine period. absolutely fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

we've been told in work if we go abroad we wont be paid for the 14 day quarantine period. absolutely fair.

But you will be paid for your holiday time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Let me see...

Bored sitting at home all day doing nothing?

How about a free holiday in Spain doing nothing to cheer you up.

Don't worry about the cost, we'll get Paddy Taxpayer to foot the bill .

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Let me see...

I'll take one if there's one going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Let me see...

Sitting at home wondering if you will have a job to go back to after the restrictions on your employment have been lifted.

A holiday that you paid for months ago when you were still working.

No taxpayer's (of which you are normally one) money involved.

'We're all in this together'. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Go on holidays, don't inform the department - keep your dole.

Zero ways to police this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Here lads don't go on holidays but we'll let you book them no problem, as we don't know what to do really. They need to form a policy that's inline with the EU otherwise it'll be tail between the legs back to Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

How would this be policed I wonder? Considering the majority of PUP payments go straight into the recipients bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Thank God. Some sanity at last.

On the dole and go on a foreign holiday- lose your scratch!

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-pandemic-unemployment-payment-5140755-Jul2020/
    I wouldn't begrudge people on stamped dole or the covid payment going on holiday and keeping their payments.
    But people on the free dole shouldn't be able to claim it and go on holiday. There's plenty of people working who can't afford a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go on holidays, don't inform the department - keep your dole.

Zero ways to police this.

You won't be around to collect your dole, they will wonder why and likely cancel it. If they decide to call your mobile and you brought it with you it will ring with a foreign ring tone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

They don't mention anything about illness benefit. Can't you get the benefit if you have to isolate?

What about coming back from holidays? Can they not claim the illness benefit for the two weeks since they are being asked to self isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

You won't be around to collect your dole, they will wonder why and likely cancel it. If they decide to call your mobile and you brought it with you it will ring with a foreign ring tone.
    As far as I'm aware all social welfare payments are into the bank at the moment, including the €350 weekly special.

M

As far as I'm aware all social welfare payments are into the bank at the moment, including the €350 weekly special.

They were moved to being paid every 2 weeks from March. Not sure on the €350 payment that might be direct to bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely those in receipt of taxpayer funded payments would have some conscience WRT to those who worked and carried on and so on and paid, and are paying for this for them. TBH I think it was great that no one was destitute, full marks to the decision of the Gov at the time for doing this, it took so much stress off many people.

But now if they are going on holliers at my feckin expense I'd need a word with the Minister! LOL.

Meeoow wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge people on stamped dole or the covid payment going on holiday and keeping their payments.
    But people on the free dole shouldn't be able to claim it and go on holiday. There's plenty of people working who can't afford a holiday.

Great point, but we will be pariahs now for thinking that.

M

But now if they are going on holliers at my feckin expense I'd need a word with the Minister! LOL.

Some might be, others will be simply claiming their stamps they paid their entire life and are out of work due to Covid and the way our government has completely mishandled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

It's RACIST!

The usual suspects will pop up in the morning.

Some might be, others will be simply claiming their stamps they paid their entire life and are out of work due to Covid and the way our government has completely mishandled it.

Yes I know what you are saying re those who have paid into the system, but others are all funded by those still working and slaving away online at the kitchen/bedroom table or in a hospital or care setting etc. You know what I mean.

There really has to be some balance in all this. That's all I'm saying really. Those who have contributed fine, those who have not, well it is not fine sorry. They can stay in Ireland and spread their taxpayer funded largesse amongst those who fund them. I think that is fair.

Woops.

Expect some vitriol tomorrow when some emerge from their slumber. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

i know a lad who went to latvia on 16/3/20 (i think it was this date) and only returned two weeks ago. full 350 payment while spending his time there. wonder how many tens of thousands did similar? absolute pisstake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lol my bro has to move to belgium soon because he is now working for the EU they could easily let him stay until travel is less restricted but they are not letting him. Such hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

No mention of this on any official sources that I can find. You currently don't have to sign on anywhere if on jobseekers/PUP so how will they know if you do travel? Additionally, the contact tracing form does not stipulate use of its information for this purpose so that's probably a GDPR breach if it is to be passed on to them.

Initially it all sounds like a load of BS being fed to the media in an attempt to try and dissuade a certain amount of people from non essential travel.

The information was sent to employees in the DEASP last Friday. It's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

dennispenn wrote: »
    i know a lad who went to latvia on 16/3/20 (i think it was this date) and only returned two weeks ago. full 350 payment while spending his time there. wonder how many tens of thousands did similar? absolute pisstake

A lot of people got stuck when the borders closed, workplaces push for five holiday days in first quarter so many Eastern European workers were in their native country when things shut down, All Covid payments are applied for online and payments paid to bank, not their fault they couldn't get back here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i remember when that icelandic volcano went off years ago, there was talk of loads of eastern europeans being caught out, not being able to fly in to claim their dole...

altough i think it's all getting paid into bank accounts since this thing started, all you had to do was fill in a form to transfer payment from the Post Office to your bank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

i remember when that icelandic volcano went off years ago, there was talk of loads of eastern europeans being caught out, not being able to fly in to claim their dole...

altough i think it's all getting paid into bank accounts since this thing started, all you had to do was fill in a form to transfer payment from the Post Office to your bank

You're right. You could be sitting in Maspalomas drinking cocktails and the dole will just go straight into your bank account. More fairytales from the govt IMO.

Seems those working and paying for all this are the mugs. We will never get a look in. Easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

There are dole inspectors at Dublin Airport, I know because I was stopped by 2 of them both l0vely Dub ladies, dressed in green outfits with clipboards, there are lads as well! After going passed the initial security check!
    We are doing an additional security check, where are you going, Why, can we see your boarding card, what do you do for a living?
    The 2 gobdaws got the shock of their lives when I told them where I actually worked at the time - A civil servant in a related department!
    Oh we liasze with them was the response!

AFAIK This initiative was prompted by the finally dawning realization that during the volcanic ash crisis, several of our Polish friends living at home used to fly in for their rock and roll once a month!

Also I suppose in theory if you have an electronic passport, you are technically traceable!

And for future reference any transaction made abroad using your bank card will show up on your statements which you may be required at a later stage to be shown to the Department!

And if you go through a UK port how do you handle questions put to you by their anti terrorist police who cream their trousers at the prospect of abusing Irish People! Been there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

BTW The lads who work in pairs as dole inspectors in The Airport are obvious from a mile off they wear black suit jackets and I have seen them stop folk!

The reason why I'm pointing this out is that Im a civil libertarian and I believe it's none of the states business where I go, especially if Its to the CTA or The EFTA areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Connacht15 wrote: »
    BTW The lads who work in pairs as dole inspectors in The Airport are obvious from a mile off they wear black suit jackets and I have seen them stop folk!

The reason why I'm pointing this out is that Im a civil libertarian and I believe it's none of the states business where I go, especially if Its to the CTA or The EFTA areas!

I'm glad they're uniformed
    People should have nothing to hide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely those in receipt of taxpayer funded payments would have some conscience WRT to those who worked and carried on and so on.

:rolleyes:
    Sorry, but are you serious?

Very few people have a conscience any more.

Advertisement