Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

fritzelly wrote: »

This government won't make it to 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sorry that you are ill. But seriously would you risk travelling abroad now?

I know that wasn't your question, but the answer is obvious. Most people are pulling together and staying at home now. Those who don't or won't are selfish creatures in the main and hard left supporters I reckon. Some of them have to be given instructions.

Not quite yet. But the attitude of some on this thread seems to be that anyone who is the recipient of taxpayer-funded money shouldn’t take foreign holidays ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    It won't rumble on, but if it does, it could cause more harm to Sinn Fein and the rest of the opposition. Ordinary working people are horrified that they keep working while the entitlement class feel that they can ignore all of the advice and travel at will.

Maybe if there was a ban?
    I've a feeling if we hear news some minister was on his holliers you'd be okay with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Bowie wrote: »
    Maybe if there was a ban?
    I've a feeling if we hear news some minister was on his holliers you'd be okay with it.

Exactly. People are forgetting that those on the payment were part of the working class until just a few short weeks ago.
    They feel entitled because they have paid enough tax over their lifetimes and deserve to be bailed out having lost their jobs due to no fault of their own.

If the government would just ban non essential travel these people would be able to claim refunds, vouchers or use holiday insurance but instead the very people who have lost the most in all this are expected to lose again. It’s sickening.

Some people on their high horses don’t realise how lucky they are to still be employed and have their income. I’m sure the vast, vast majority on the payment would gladly swap places with them in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Exactly. People are forgetting that those on the payment were part of the working class until just a few short weeks ago.
    They feel entitled because they have paid enough tax over their lifetimes and deserve to be bailed out having lost their jobs due to no fault of their own.

If the government would just ban non essential travel these people would be able to claim refunds, vouchers or use holiday insurance but instead the very people who have lost the most in all this are expected to lose again. It’s sickening.

Some people on their high horses don’t realise how lucky they are to still be employed and have their income. I’m sure the vast, vast majority on the payment would gladly swap places with them in a heartbeat.

Boardsies love punching down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

90% of the people who's payment has been stopped, were leaving the country long term, not just going on a holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not quite yet. But the attitude of some on this thread seems to be that anyone who is the recipient of taxpayer-funded money shouldn’t take foreign holidays ever.

People on the dole should not. The dole should provide the very basics, food and shelter. Everything else should be earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This always morphs into a perceived "assault" on the working classes. It's really more about following the rules and welfare officers doing what they do, rooting out fraud. It is a feature of PUP that you can't get it while out of the country but you can reapply when you return. Most of the noise about this is that "genuinely seeking work" language.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Boardsies love punching down.

"Punching down "

Of all the dopey slogans beloved of leftist clones, that must be the most banal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

90% of the people who's payment has been stopped, were leaving the country long term, not just going on a holiday

Of course nonsense, as Alan Kelly put it this morning, there as been absolutely no breakdown of these figures, indeed FLAC (Free Legal Aid Advisory Council) are suggesting that there are numerous grounds of appeal for anyone who's payment was stopped prior to legislation passed in Dail last night which is about to go to the seanad. In essence the PUP scheme as introduced had ZERO provision regarding travel and the residency provision was vague at best. Some may not like it but PUP was an emergency payment quite distinct from JSA /JSB.

FLAC went on to say the entire process of questioning travellers was not in accordance of provisions for actions. Namely SW inspectors and Gardai for that matter must have Reasonable grounds to suspect a fraud is taking place before questioning anyone.

I'm certainly not advocating fraud, just highlighting the facts as painful as they may for some.

A final little nugget FLAC brought up, there is NO legislation that disallows anyone from travelling to any EU country seeking employment so it begs the question, what's to stop any EU citizen travelling in this scenario (taking the green list aside)

It's a shambolic mess, as has numerous decisions this new shower have made, there's no doubting their true intentions, namely get people off PUP ASAP, there challenge is not being caught out acting the maggot, obviously they've failed on that score also.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Timing is key. This on the backs of the super junior fiasco. There will be a massive tital wave building up against this government. Spin doctors can dismiss it, but any government that was to survive need the people on board. They are alienating a large % of people at every turn. The greens will definitely be wiped out, and perhaps FF if MM is still a shambles.

People on the dole should not. The dole should provide the very basics, food and shelter. Everything else should be earned.

Very helpful input, orwellian at best, plain stupid at worst. Just a little something you may not fully grasp, PUP is not DOLE in the true meaning of this awful word. It's an emergency payment introduced for those laid off temporarily, lost their job or who as self employed lost most of their business because of the pandemic crisis and certainly not of their doing. You know, the type who had gainful employment, businesses, paid their taxes etc, just like ordinary decent citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You can't ban travel. Do you want to ban those who need to travel forwork or those who need to visit sick or dying relatives? Banning nonessential travel would mean planes would be grounded and besides that there would be complete mess deciding what is essential and what is not essential. Connectivity with the rest of the world is more important than holiday refunds. I have sympathy for people who are stuck in this mess but loosing 5k on flights isn't the worst that can happen to someone.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Very helpful input, orwellian at best, plain stupid at worst. Just a little something you may not fully grasp, PUP is not DOLE in the true meaning of this awful word. It's an emergency payment introduced for those laid off temporarily, lost their job or who as self employed lost most of their business because of the pandemic crisis and certainly not of their doing. You know, the type who had gainful employment, businesses, paid their taxes etc, just like ordinary decent citizens.

Leo bots cant comprehend that people outside the pale can't all be working in IT from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was made redundant in feb and am on Jan til Nov if I don't get something. A relation got onto me I was costing the taxpayer... A leech. Turns out his employer is claiming the covid payment for him so in that period of time he will cost the taxpayer more than I will .... The leech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was made redundant in feb and am on Jan til Nov if I don't get something. A relation got onto me I was costing the taxpayer... A leech. Turns out his employer is claiming the covid payment for him so in that period of time he will cost the taxpayer more than I will .... The leech.

meeeeh wrote: »
    You can't ban travel. Do you want to ban those who need to travel forwork or those who need to visit sick or dying relatives? Banning nonessential travel would mean planes would be grounded and besides that thaere would be complete mess deciding what is essential and what is not essential. Connectivity with the rest of the world is more important than holiday refunds. I have sympathy for people who are stuck in this mess but loosing 5k on flights isn't the worst that can happen to someone.

Do me a favour so. Book a business class flight for you and the family and don't turn up. Sure it's Only 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not long term as such, but saying f it the pub is not opening till August, they decide they will wait it out in the EU country that they came form until the pub or business reopens then they will come back.

Everyone would do the same but I can see why they clamped down on it

Limpy wrote: »
    Leo bots cant comprehend that people outside the pale can't all be working in IT from home.

Leo Boys can't comprehend anything that involves emphaty, "we're all in together my H@€E"

Dempo1 wrote: »

If your job is gone/business down the tubes you should be on the dole €203. If you are waiting for you’d job to come back you should be on the PUP. Why is someone who lost their job/business in 2019 entitled to less than someone who lost their job/business in 2020. And if you are on the dole, it should provide the very minimum, food and shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If your job is gone/business down the tubes you should be on the dole €203. If you are waiting for you’d job to come back you should be on the PUP. Why is someone who lost their job/business in 2019 entitled to less than someone who lost their job/business in 2020. And if you are on the dole, it should provide the very minimum, food and shelter.

I’m getting it and I’m still earning some money from my business. All disclosed to the Intreo office and above board. I’m delighted I’m getting it, it’s been a great comfort over the last few months.

I’ll spend it on whatever I want, thanks - I’ve been paying taxes for over a decade.

People have holidays already paid for(when they were hard working tax payers). Since the holidays are paid for they are saving money by going. How? Well they can't get refunded, if they book and Irish holiday it will cost them extra money. Can you comprehend that?

People have holidays already paid for(when they were hard working tax payers). Since the holidays are paid for they are saving money by going. How? Well they can't get refunded, if they book and Irish holiday it will cost them extra money. Can you comprehend that?

Saving money by spending hundreds abroad on hotels/food/drinks/activities hahahaha haha. Fkin hell.

You'd really want to ask the government that question, but its very imp to understand not everyone on pup is getting the higher amount of €350, indeed latest estimates are 12% of employees have been reduced to lower €203 payment and at least 15% of self employed reduced. There seems to be a complete misunderstanding of how many on pup are on €350

I do agree there is a discrepancy re standard SW payment but the measure has to be put in context, there was no means test requirements (still is not), nothing of personal circumstances was taken into consideration so an amount was decided upon to cover as best most personal circumstances, yes some may have gained (part time) but that's long been resolved, but I suspect the vast majority on €350 are seeing a major reduction in income, say a couple with single earner etc.

Saving money by spending hundreds abroad on hotels/food/drinks/activities hahahaha haha. Fkin hell.

Hotels already paid. Good grief.

So you go to and Irish holiday spot and you don't buy food or do activities? You don't have a clue what your talking about.

Hotels already paid. Good grief.

So you go to and Irish holiday spot and you don't buy food or do activities? You don't have a clue what your talking about.

Hotels can generally be refunded. Who said you HAVE to go on holidays?? FFS, then entitlement culture in Ireland is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Do me a favour so. Book a business class flight for you and the family and don't turn up. Sure it's Only 5k.

That's juat nonsense.

Hotels can generally be refunded. Who said you HAVE to go on holidays?? FFS, then entitlement culture in Ireland is off the charts.

Its not up to you what people do with money. Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

U turn just announced, sorry no link, Pat Kenny announced it just there - if you're on PUP and go to a green list country, your payment will be unaffected!
    It's logical, I don't know about other DEASP payments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So they've just changed the rules again. Your PUP won't be cut off if you travel to green listed countries.

More reverse gears in this Govt than on an Italian tank.

Advertisement