Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

This. For the sake of our health and the economy, all travel out of and into the country should be stopped. Friends haven’t been able to attend immediate family funerals in the Uk. They accepted this due to the pandemic. Then they are seeing unemployed people going abroad. Sickening.

How long would you ban all travel in and out of the country? Until there’s a vaccine? What if there isn’t a vaccine? Should we revert to a pre-industrialized economy? Maybe you should be in charge, although something tells me you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've never cared about whether someone is earning or on social welfare and holidaying. social welfare recipients are entitled to a holiday. It's allowed under the scheme as far as I know.

I just don't think anyone should be going on foreign holidays at present. There's always next year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don’t think that they were cherry picking. PUP is an exceptional payment paid to people who find themselves out of work due to Covid 19. It’s not implemented the same as unemployment benefit/assistance. The fact that people have to self isolate on their return from many countries means that if their employment becomes available again while they are away, then their employers won be able to carry out their business as expected due to self isolation.
    The checks were proved necessary by the number of people leaving the country, with no intention of returning, while in receipt of the Covid PUP.

They tried to enforce a rule that didn't exist and reverse one that did. All the while allowing foreign travel, but advising against it. Farce.

Saving money that’s spend on cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, gambling etc would collapse the economy?? Sure thing.

You do realise that alcohol excise alone raises over one billion euro every year, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Dempo1 wrote: »
    O I beg to differ, €2890 net last month with 25% of that the top up. And its not besides the point, people are so exercised about PUP and yet 1000"s on TWSS and getting far more and still furlough Ed, in essence a glorified PUP, I can also tell you 2 other

You are talking complete nonsense. I do the wages and we were on TWSS when closed in April and May. We have quite a few who would be on around 3000 net and I know how much of subsidy we were getting for them. I think some limits were increased but max you can get per week is around 410, majority would get around 350 at the time we were on it.

Just to add, I don't think people on PUP are any different but because TWSS is paid as support to employer it can't be stopped if employee is leaving the country. All I can say is that unless our employees are using their holidays we won't pay for two weeks quarantine after holiday. I suspect majority of employers wouldn't pay the two weeks off weather they are on TWSS or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bowie wrote: »
    They tried to enforce a rule that didn't exist and reverse one that did. All the while allowing foreign travel, but advising against it. Farce.

You have always needed to be in the country for pup, it didn't have an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hillarious, you've clearly not being following either this thread, the news and subsequent fall out, I would hardly describe FLAC or the data protection commission lefties and there's also been some commentary from government TD's, not greens I might add.

It's a fantastic result, as clearly as painful as it is for you.

Just a thought, any comments on TWSS?, The scheme that's allows 3 aquaintences of mine get almost full salary, paid by your taxes, neither have worked since March, how's that making you feel exactly? €3000 net per month and it's all OK, PUP recepients demonised because the mere mention of unemployment in its title causes offence

You are clearly not following the news either.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0729/1156187-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

"If people want to travel to a non-green list country, it must be for essential reasons such as a bereavement or for health reasons", the minister said, adding that people must inform their Intreo office beforehand and their payment will not be affected."

The regulation is still in place for non-green-list countries i.e. the vast majority of places where people go on holidays like Spain, France, the UK and Portugal.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/going_abroad_and_social_welfare_payments.html

"Since 7 July 2020, you will only be paid for a holiday abroad that is in accordance with the General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in operation. You will also not be paid for the 14 days that you are required to self-isolate when you return from abroad."

The regulation was introduced on 7 July and applied to non-essential travel to all countries because there was no green list!!!!

The green list was only announced on 21 July. Hilarious that people think that this is a u-turn. Even Paul Murphy in the Dail realised it only applied to the green list. Where there was a mistake in communication was in not updating the advice due to the publication of the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

blanch152 wrote: »
    Public servants have also been stopped going on holidays as well, because they have been told that they need to take unpaid leave for the quarantine period which will cost them money.

It is harsh but correct from a public health point of view. I have no sympathy for the bleating of the entitlement class.

Ah but this doesn't apply to government ministers does it? Like the guy who was in Brussels last week? He didn't have to quarantine?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Blanch is right on this one! I'm a PS and have received at least 3 emails from my boss stating that if I go abroad I've to quarantine for 14 days at my own expense unless I've got holidays to cover same.

But not if you're a government minister.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Ah but this doesn't apply to government ministers does it? Like the guy who was in Brussels last week? He didn't have to quarantine?

Micheal Martin did travel to Brussels for a European Council. However, that was essential business as opposed to a holiday or other non-essential travel.

• Advertisement

pinkyeye wrote: »
    But not if you're a government minister.

Essential travel is allowed.

If you are travelling for vital urgent business that requires travel, you can travel.

If you are travelling for a family bereavement, you can travel.

There are two examples of essential travel, the advice only bans non-essential travel.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

This. For the sake of our health and the economy, all travel out of and into the country should be stopped. Friends haven’t been able to attend immediate family funerals in the Uk. They accepted this due to the pandemic. Then they are seeing unemployed people going abroad. Sickening.

This virus is going to be around for ever, life needs to go on. It probably doesn't sicken you to see tax exile's making millions here and not paying their share.

Now that sickens me.

Limpy wrote: »
    This virus is going to be around for ever, life needs to go on. It probably doesn't sicken you to see tax exile's making millions here and not paying their share.

Now that sickens me.

Yes, life needs go on, but with caution. What tax exiles are not paying their share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How do people feel about those who are leaving the country permanently not signing off the payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

You have always needed to be in the country for pup, it didn't have an exemption.

Exactly, cross border workers who live up north were not entitled to PUP. It was always about keeping money in the local economy.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is rubbish. If the government are advising against non-essential travel, they are entitled to a refund.

Bull****, government has to ban all travel for people to be entitled to a refund.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've never cared about whether someone is earning or on social welfare and holidaying. social welfare recipients are entitled to a holiday. It's allowed under the scheme as far as I know.

I just don't think anyone should be going on foreign holidays at present. There's always next year;)

Entitled. Fcuk me.

You do realise that alcohol excise alone raises over one billion euro every year, yeah?

How much does alcohol related illnesses cost the HSE per year??

Edit: This is from 2013

The report, by Dr Ann Hope, outlines the economic costs of deaths, illness and crime attributable to alcohol misuse in Ireland and estimates that the overall cost to Irish society in 2013 was €2.35 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How much does alcohol related illnesses cost the HSE per year??

Edit: This is from 2013

The report, by Dr Ann Hope, outlines the economic costs of deaths, illness and crime attributable to alcohol misuse in Ireland and estimates that the overall cost to Irish society in 2013 was €2.35 billion.

What would be your solution to that problem?

Odhinn wrote: »
    What would be your solution to that problem?

Govt card for social welfare that does not allow the purchase of alcohol, gambling, cigarettes etc. Dole should pay for food and shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

So then what they will do is buy some food and sell it to others for straight cash which they will then use to buy what they want. Silly idea.

So then what they will do is buy some food and sell it to others for straight cash which they will then use to buy what they want. Silly idea.

Why would you buy food from a randomer, with no comeback or quality assurance, rather than in a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Why would you buy food from a randomer, with no comeback or quality assurance, rather than in a shop?

...because you want a few scoops and a pack of fags now and again.

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...because you want a few scoops and a pack of fags now and again.

Dolers would be selling, not buying. So again, why would you BUY food off a randomer, with no receipt or quality assurance, rather than from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dolers would be selling, not buying. So again, why would you BUY food off a randomer, with no receipt or quality assurance, rather than from a shop.

Theyd have family members or friends who'd do the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

The amount of snobbery on this thread is unreal. I hope certain posters never find themselves in hard times. Yes there are certain people milking the system but most people are trying to make their way through life as best they can and are victims of circumstances i.e pandemics, economic downturns, illness etc.

The amount of snobbery on this thread is unreal. I hope certain posters never find themselves in hard times. Yes there are certain people milking the system but most people are trying to make their way through life as best they can and are victims of circumstances i.e pandemics, economic downturns, illness etc.

Snobbery? Dole should provide food and shelter. Not luxuries. They’re called luxuries because they are a treat. Pints and fags aren’t essential items, neither are foreign holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Go in with your friend. Buy them all their food on your food only dole card. They give you the cash they would have spent in the shop. You go off down the the drinks aisle for whatever you need and a pack of smokes on the way out.

Easily fooled that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Snobbery? Dole should provide food and shelter. Not luxuries. They’re called luxuries because they are a treat. Pints and fags aren’t essential items, neither are foreign holidays.

Again I hope you never fall on hard times. If all you had to look forward to was a pint you know that life has not been kind to you. As I said I know some people can play the system but most people are just living day to day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Again I hope you never fall on hard times. If all you had to look forward to was a pint you know that life has not been kind to you. As I said I know some people can play the system but most people are just living day to day.

Then why dont you give them some money?
    Nothing stopping you....or us it just other peoples money you want to give away?

Advertisement