Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Connacht15 wrote: »
    BTW The lads who work in pairs as dole inspectors in The Airport are obvious from a mile off they wear black suit jackets and I have seen them stop folk!

The reason why I'm pointing this out is that Im a civil libertarian and I believe it's none of the states business where I go, especially if Its to the CTA or The EFTA areas!

Its the states business if the state happens to be funding the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

BTW The lads who work in pairs as dole inspectors in The Airport are obvious from a mile off they wear black suit jackets and I have seen them stop folk!

The reason why I'm pointing this out is that Im a civil libertarian and I believe it's none of the states business where I go, especially if Its to the CTA or The EFTA areas!

Wow, just wow.

Ok Gemma Doherty!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting how the PUP & Dole are being confused by some for convenience & trolling sake.

Firstly, those on social welfare have long been permitted to go on 2 week holidays per calendar year without penalty, it would seem this arbitrary decision will be open to disputes.

PUP recepients are in a position through no fault of their own and whilst I accept there was mistakes when formulated re part time employment, to suggest the vast majority of PUP recipients are somehow scrounging from paddy taxman is outrageous and disgraceful.

Next week will see PT employee's have rate of payment cut to €210.

The holiday decision like most decisions by the department of social protection was made without much thought, I accept the travel restrictions issue but in reality few if anyone can travel abroad anyway so it's doubtful many will be affected.

For those concerned about paddy taxman, perhaps you might enlighten us on your thoughts re the wage subsidy scheme, costing far more than PUP. Employees have returned earning 85% of their wages. Anyone I've spoken too suggest business is the same before lockdown, so who's subsidising who exactly. A false economy has been created here. Lockdown costs, restart costs are separate matter with ample supports for busineses in place or coming. We now have a scenario where an enormous amount of businesses are trading normally whilst having their entire payroll covered by government, WTF is that all about.

A little objectivity would be nice rather than suggesting PUP recepients are scroungers.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Interesting how the PUP & Dole are being confused by some for convenience & trolling sake.

Firstly, those on social welfare have long been permitted to go on 2 week holidays per calendar year without penalty, it would seem this arbitrary decision will be open to disputes.

PUP recepients are in a position through no fault of their own and whilst I accept there was mistakes when formulated re part time employment, to suggest the vast majority of PUP recipients are somehow scrounging from paddy taxman is outrageous and disgraceful.

Next week will see PT employee's have rate of payment cut to €210.

The holiday decision like most decisions by the department of social protection was made without much thought, I accept the travel restrictions issue but in reality few if anyone can travel abroad anyway so it's doubtful many will be affected.

For those concerned about paddy taxman, perhaps you might enlighten us on your thoughts re the wage subsidy scheme, costing far more than PUP. Employees have returned earning 85% of their wages. Anyone I've spoken too suggest business is the same before lockdown, so who's subsidising who exactly. A false economy has been created here. Lockdown costs, restart costs are separate matter with ample supports for busineses in place or coming. We now have a scenario where an enormous amount of businesses are trading normally whilst having their entire payroll covered by government, WTF is that all about.

A little objectivity would be nice rather than suggesting PUP recepients are scroungers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

shmeee wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.

Ok Gemma Doherty!

What's your issue with the post then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Connacht15 wrote:
    And for future reference any transaction made abroad using your bank card will show up on your statements which you may be required at a later stage to be shown to the Department!
    Not if you use Revolut for example.
    Your Irish bank account shows your Revolut top-ups and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its obvious the government just want the covid payment money to be spent here, not in spain, portugal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What about when the State is paying for holidays for Job-so called-Seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dempo1 wrote: »

No one is calling pup recipients scroungers.

Do you honestly believe that taxpayers should pay for foreign holidays? Especially when our domestic tourism sector is gutted?

Personally I don't like paying 53% tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We should be doing this anyway. If youre on the states dime you shouldnt be in a different country. I dont know what it is about how far ‘human rights’ have come , but a foreign holiday is not a human right or anywhere close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

You won't be around to collect your dole, they will wonder why and likely cancel it. If they decide to call your mobile and you brought it with you it will ring with a foreign ring tone.

Only a problem, if you collect Social in person at a post office...even then they give you 2 weeks to pick it up anyway. (I think the majority of social is paid directly to bank account).

The signing on part (in the Intreo office) is done once a month...soo again easy to book holidays around that. Only issue you might have is a surprise appointment with short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

we've been told in work if we go abroad we wont be paid for the 14 day quarantine period. absolutely fair.

Will you get disciplined for it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Will you get disciplined for it also?

not officially no, they're being incredibly lenient but it will certainly be frowned upon and i wouldn't bother going for a promotion for the foreseeable future if i was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

So basically if you go out to a home country to sort out family stuff after funeral etc. They still count that as a holiday and they're taking the PUP away?

Like it's no1 fault they are on the PUP, I've paid for the trip from my own money I earned before pandemic.
    So basically I have to save money for all the expenses while I'm away as country won't be giving me a single cent but theres thousand people stuck outside and they're receiving money.

Pkiernan wrote: »

Do you honestly believe that taxpayers should pay for foreign holidays? Especially when our domestic tourism sector is gutted?

I beg to differ, take a look at early posts. No I don't expect taxpayers to pay for anyone's holidays, my point which you clearly missed is historically SW were permitted two weeks holidays without being penalised. More of interest to me is the Trolling getting at PUP recipient's who are receiving state support, not Dole as some refer to it, because the state locked down their places of employment. I might also add, those same receipents may have paid for holidays before the lock down, you know, like most normal people. Finally, it's unlikely this decision will impact to many as the government have also pretty much restricted all foreign travel

So basically if you go out to a home country to sort out family stuff after funeral etc. They still count that as a holiday and they're taking the PUP away?

Like it's no1 fault they are on the PUP, I've paid for the trip from my own money I earned before pandemic.
    So basically I have to save money for all the expenses while I'm away as country won't be giving me a single cent but theres thousand people stuck outside and they're receiving money.

Agreed, but its been stated allowances will be made for emergencies etc, so a little (not much) common sense prevailing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Pkiernan wrote: »

Domestic tourism has been a rip off for many years now so why should we bail them out? No sympathy for them. Greed isn't the word.

If you're paying 53% tax, you need a new accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

If you're a civil libetarian you do you also believe in state funded dole?

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

not officially no, they're being incredibly lenient but it will certainly be frowned upon and i wouldn't bother going for a promotion for the foreseeable future if i was one of them.

We were unofficially told it would be investigated... also the 2m rule will comply after the pandemic also I'm lead to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

Sure in countries where you have no dole or very limited dole - USA, Spain and Italy, there's much higher level of street crime, people can be forced to steal to survive.
    Do you want that?
    South County Dublin may be different but there are vast stretches of the country where the SW system ensures local economies survive.
    I would know people who despite being able to, never did a formal day's work in their lives.
    Now at first glance they need a kick up their holes!
    But on reflection there's nothing happening economically where they live.
    Some never did a nixer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sure in countries where you have no dole or very limited dole - USA, Spain and Italy, there's much higher level of street crime, people can be forced to steal to survive.
    Do you want that?
    South County Dublin may be different but there are vast stretches of the country where the SW system ensures local economies survive.
    I would know people who despite being able to, never did a formal day's work in their lives.
    Now at first glance they need a kick up their holes!
    But on reflection there's nothing happening economically where they live.
    Some never did a nixer!

Don't get why these people can't move to where the work is. Always wondered the same about the people in the rundown former industrial parts of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

A lot of people got stuck when the borders closed, workplaces push for five holiday days in first quarter so many Eastern European workers were in their native country when things shut down, All Covid payments are applied for online and payments paid to bank, not their fault they couldn't get back here

the single man im telling of had no intention of returning here anytime sooner than he needed to be here. he was plastering and preparing his newly bought apartment.

the point is, as youve clearly missed it, no person should have been paid a cent if they left the state. you want state aid? then at least be in the country providing it. thats my view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Don't get why these people can't move to where the work is. Always wondered the same about the people in the rundown former industrial parts of England.

Family, accommodation, friends, they'd be worse off economically and socially, life is not all about money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Connacht15 wrote:
    Sure in countries where you have no dole or very limited dole - USA, Spain and Italy, there's much higher level of street crime, people can be forced to steal to survive. Do you want that? South County Dublin may be different but there are vast stretches of the country where the SW system ensures local economies survive. I would know people who despite being able to, never did a formal day's work in their lives. Now at first glance they need a kick up their holes! But on reflection there's nothing happening economically where they live. Some never did a nixer!
    This is true about the US, but not at all true about Continental Europe which has way stricter dole rules than Ireland. No way there's more crime there than in Ireland. And that would be true for generous welfare states like Sweden, Denmark and Norway as well.

It's about balance and fairness. I'm all for a robust safety net, but with rational and fair rules.

In Sweden you get 70% your last salary for 6 months when you get unemployed, provided you have contributed to the system for some time (I believe 1 year is a minimum). After 6 months you get a basic dole which is much lower, and that's people who never worked get too.

The absurdity in Ireland where JSA (essentially mostly parasites) equals to the JSB (working people who got unemployed) in value is nowhere seen anywhere in Europe and probably to whole world. It's absolutely unfair, wrong and it motivates parasitism and bad habits, instead being fair and motivating effort and merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed, but its been stated allowances will be made for emergencies etc, so a little (not much) common sense prevailing

Fair enough, so if the PUP is till the 10th of August and I'm leaving on the 7th of August I guess I should notify them about it? Even though its only 3 days.
    Sorry for stupid questions but I'm new to the welfare system. I've been working since I was 16.

Family, accommodation, friends, they'd be worse off economically and socially, life is not all about money

Ah here :)

How would a person be worse off earning a decent wage away from where they were born? How is it better for their children to grow up somewhere with zero prospects?

They be far better off somewhere were they could work to improve their economic and social life.

I guess going to the pub and the bookies on a weekday morning with the same oul heads is too much to give up for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have seen posts on boards calling for unemployed people to be moved out of Dublin to Leitrim and Roscommon. You can't win.

dennispenn wrote: »
    the single man im telling of had no intention of returning here anytime sooner than he needed to be here. he was plastering and preparing his newly bought apartment.

the point is, as youve clearly missed it, no person should have been paid a cent if they left the state. you want state aid? then at least be in the country providing it. thats my view on it.

Report him and let the authorities decide.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I have seen posts on boards calling for unemployed people to be moved out of Dublin to Leitrim and Roscommon. You can't win.
    Who can't win? The only people not winning are the taxpayers that have to feed and accommodate lazy people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Who can't win? The only people not winning are the taxpayers that have to feed and accommodate lazy people.

Why don't you look at the post i quoted instead of steaming in with your dole bashing sledgehammer.

Advertisement